Canon 300mm f/4 first shots Please CC

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Cameras
Captured at f/4. I think it would have been sharper stopped down, but I'm learning.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Candid feedback appreciated :D

Thanks

Comments

• awe-struckawe-struck Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    First shots with Canon 300mm f/4 comments
    Dan,

I just started using the same lens myself. Looking at your images, I think the problem is depth of field. I was so excited about having this high quality glass that I started by shooting everything at f4. Well, you have about 3 inches of depth of field and when a bird is on a branch or their is other vegetation that the autofocus finds first, there isn't enough depth of focus for the bird. Use it when you need it, but try your lens at f/6.3 or better yet f7.1. It will make a tremendous difference. I blew a lot of shots because of the narrow depth-of-field at f/4 but almost none at f/7.1. Up the ISO if you are short of light. Check out my bluebirds at awe-struck.smugmug.com

Foxy (awe-struck)

Good LUCK!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Right on. Thank you very much!!!:D :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    You even have a handy scale for DOF in those shots. Look at the branches--focus missed the birds by a little bit in each & you can see just where it is. Where the branches are in focus they look nice & sharp.
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Captured at f/4. I think it would have been sharper stopped down, but I'm learning.

Candid feedback appreciated :D
    J: Dan, I think you just need to give yourself a little time with this lens. You picked some Tough (as in quite small) subjects to shoot the first time out.

H: Every lens behaves differently, and the 300/4 is certainly no exception.

J: I must confess, I only received mine a week and a half ago. Was out with it last weekend, and put about 2,500 shots through it (Ducks and geese at the park, and Bald Eagles further out).

H: One of the first things I noticed was that I had to be very precise with my AF frame placement. I always am, but this lens seems to require it even more so.

J: The other thing I noticed right away was that the DOF was thinner than I was used to (with my 400/5.6). So accuracy of focus was even more critical (as the others have noted).

H: Personally, I like a thin DOF and almost always shoot at max aperture. And I think that once you start nailing the focus on a regular basis, you'll be very happy with the results.

J: My copy seems to be quite sharp wide open, and if you have any doubts about yours, just do some resolution tests (and also some AF tests using either slightly staggered batteries, or a test chart). You'll be happier and more confident afterwards.

H: Then go out and shoot some big easy targets. Work your way up the difficulty ladder, and you'll be building confidence all the way.

J: Here's my first big easy target...

98099120.jpg

H: Shooting at 1/100 second, the I.S. made this shot possible. A shot I wouldn't likely have gotten with my 400/5.6 (since I always shoot handheld).

J: I would head out to one of your favorite venues Dan. Clear your head of expectations (and pressures). Get some nice shots under your belt.

H: And work to the lens's strengths. Push things later.

Have fun,
    J&H
    edited June 9, 2008
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    J&H: Darn that is a brutally narrow DOF! And you nailed it. Excellent shot. A good example of what you are talking about.
    edited June 9, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks J&H :D:D
    J: Well that's it Dan! clap.gif

H: Didn't need any coaching from Me I see.

J: Nice job on all counts.

H: Just need to clone out the legs in that (cool) shot of the Bittern.

Have a blast with the new toy!
    J&H
    edited June 9, 2008
    J&H: Darn that is a brutally narrow DOF! And you nailed it. Excellent shot. A good example of what you are talking about.
    J: Thanks Chris! I've wanted the 300 for quite a while, for those evening walks through the park. The critters there are very approachable, and this lens seems custom made for just those occasions.

H: Momma goose was paying veeeery close attention to me, 'cuz these little guys were at her feet...

97920605.jpg

J: Kicked myself tonight for missing a beautiful sunset down at the river. Was out in the garden shooting macros.

H: Ah well. Never enough hours in the day.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Cheers,
    J&H
    edited June 9, 2008
    J: Well that's it Dan! clap.gif

H: Didn't need any coaching from Me I see.

J: Nice job on all counts.

H: Just need to clone out the legs in that (cool) shot of the Bittern.

Have a blast with the new toy!
    J&H

On the contrary. You, and others have been most generous and helpful. I know I have so much to learn. By the way, the girls legs were intentionally left in the shot because it was part of a series that is on the wildlife board. It's called Heron Chase. Check it our if you get a chance.

Best,

Dan :D:D