Options

Concrete mixer accident (documentary)

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,782 Major grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
2 months ago a freak accident happened with a concrete mixer not far from my house. As I sometimes take pictures for a local internet newspaper, I headed over to see what had happened.

After it had poured all the concrete into the foundation for a new house the handbrake of the truck failed and caused it to roll down a hill with the following result.

273890509_GMm9e-L.jpg

Luckily no one was hurt. The driver wasn't even in the truck when it happened. They had to bring a crane to get the truck out of there.

273890963_tMrCv-L.jpg

The crane lifted the front of the truck while another pulled it back onto the road.

273895479_ts5r7-L.jpg

If it would have had a bit more speed, or if it hadn't been empty, the truck would have crashed through the roof of a below building (There's a bathroom in there)

273898987_kg9sA-L.jpg

After securing everything they had to get the combination of tow truck and concrete mixer throught the very narrow streets. But that was done without any problems.

273902501_dWb5Z-L.jpg

273902746_Y4D6d-L.jpg

The complete series of pictures can be found here: http://steendorp.smugmug.com/gallery/4639369_yvNWh

273903196_EtSwq-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Interesting series thumb.gif Im surprised to see the crane not using dunwich (sp?) under the stabilizers. That can be a good way to join the truck.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    GSPeP wrote:
    2 months ago a freak accident happened with a concrete mixer not far from my house. As I sometimes take pictures for a local internet newspaper, I headed over to see what had happened.

After it had poured all the concrete into the foundation for a new house the handbrake of the truck failed and caused it to roll down a hill with the following result.

Luckily no one was hurt. The driver wasn't even in the truck when it happened. They had to bring a crane to get the truck out of there.

The crane lifted the front of the truck while another pulled it back onto the road.

If it would have had a bit more speed, or if it hadn't been empty, the truck would have crashed through the roof of a below building (There's a bathroom in there)

After securing everything they had to get the combination of tow truck and concrete mixer throught the very narrow streets. But that was done without any problems.

The complete series of pictures can be found here: http://steendorp.smugmug.com/gallery/4639369_yvNWh

Hey good on the spot reporting there Peter,
    lucky the cement mixer didn't end up in someone's house.
    Hopefully no-one was injured.

The truck doesn't look that badly damaged from these photos ... was it?

Great Series ....that crane looks pretty cool thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,782 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Hi Skippy,

Indeed, no one was injured. The driver wasn't even in the truck when it rolled away. Although it looks as if there is no much damage, the truck is a write off. The main frame was hit and bent beyond repair. It's not very clear on the pictures, but on some you can see that the complete truck is bent. (It is still standing like it is in the yard of the concrete factory.)

Will be a nice job for insurance.