Kailey's Daddy is in Iraq

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in People
I am involved with Operation:Love ReUnited. It is an organization that I volunteer my time/talents with. Photographers volunteering with OpLove provide a free sitting for a family facing a military deployment. An album of the photos is then sent to the deployed soldier free of charge.

This series is of little Kailey. Kailey is 5 weeks old and her daddy is deployed to Iraq. Hopefully he'll be able to come home on leave to meet her during July. Then he'll have to go back.

It has been a joy getting to know these families. Providing these services is only a small way that I am able to say thank you for all of that these soldiers/familes do.

C&C is welcome and encouraged.

307209819_NeS9t-L-1.jpg

307210025_4zxta-L-1.jpg

3. (mom wasn't expecting to take shots w/ Kailey that day....but I know dad would want some of them together as well)
307210330_Dp3uk-L-1.jpg

(a pad was strategically placed under Kailey to keep "anything" from getting on the flag.......)
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    nice capture. dad will love it
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Aw!! Cute photos, the first 2 are my favorites. iloveyou.gif

(I think the light is a bit too harsh in #3)
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    I don't think it is nice to make a soldier cry, which these surely will!

WOW. Those are some seriously great photos. If I were him my only complaint would be I would want more photos. I assume there are more photos.
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I don't think it is nice to make a soldier cry, which these surely will!

WOW. Those are some seriously great photos. If I were him my only complaint would be I would want more photos. I assume there are more photos.

There are more.....wish there were more than there are tho. I got some great shots of mom and baby.....then most of our effort was spent in getting the shots of her with the dog tags and flag. Kailey was one of the most awake newborns I've ever worked with, so it took a while to get the shot.

I'll work on posting more oplove photos in the near future.

Thank you for the compliments.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I am involved with Operation:Love ReUnited. It is an organization that I volunteer my time/talents with. Photographers volunteering with OpLove provide a free sitting for a family facing a military deployment. An album of the photos is then sent to the deployed soldier free of charge.

This series is of little Kailey. Kailey is 5 weeks old and her daddy is deployed to Iraq. Hopefully he'll be able to come home on leave to meet her during July. Then he'll have to go back.

It has been a joy getting to know these families. Providing these services is only a small way that I am able to say thank you for all of that these soldiers/familes do.

C&C is welcome and encouraged.

3. (mom wasn't expecting to take shots w/ Kailey that day....but I know dad would want some of them together as well)

(a pad was strategically placed under Kailey to keep "anything" from getting on the flag.......)

Heather, thank you for doing this. As a veteran and a father I thank you.

I love the closer up version with Kailey (#2) and #3 with mom. You are correct that Dad will want that shot.

These shots made did make me cry, I am not too ashamed to admit it. Of course that is the second time today. When I dropped my daughter off at day care this morning there was a sign up on the wall with pictures of a baby (and her parents) that was born on Saturday. Her daddy returned home on Friday from Iraq. Talk about good timing.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    These are great photos!

I went to the website for oplove and clicked on the Interested Photographers but all I get is a black page on both Firefox and IE... so I can't get any information on becoming a photographer... :(
    edited June 4, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    These are great photos!

I went to the website for oplove and clicked on the Interested Photographers but all I get is a black page on both Firefox and IE... so I can't get any information on becoming a photographer... :(

Did you wait a bit to see if the page would load? It's flash based and takes a minute or two to load. Please try again.

The links to the application can be found HERE
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    Did you wait a bit to see if the page would load? It's flash based and takes a minute or two to load. Please try again.

The links to the application can be found HERE

I waited like 5-10 minutes in both IE and Firefox. Nada came up. I have flash installed for both firefox and ie....
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I waited like 5-10 minutes in both IE and Firefox. Nada came up. I have flash installed for both firefox and ie....
    I just submitted my application (again, I think it got lost the first time, some time ago) and, from start to finish, I dont' think it took more than 10 minutes.

Now the waiting starts - let's see how long it takes to get a response back from OpLove :D
  • TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    That's an awesome thing you are doing! I'd really consider doing something like this, but I'm in Iraq myself and I'm not a very good photographer in the first place, lol. thumb.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Heather...You are AWSOME! Not only do you take great photos, but you have a great heart! Thanks for sharing and also for who you are. clap.gif
    edited July 7, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Heather...You are AWSOME! Not only do you take great photos, but you have a great heart! Thanks for sharing and also for who you are. clap.gif

Thanks Shatch! Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but I haven't been on dgrin for a while. I've been swamped.......happy problem, right?

The local news just ran a story on my involvement with OpLove. I have a feeling I'm about to be even more swamped! It started with a small town newspaper article this past week, and an ABC affiliate channel News assignment editor reading it decided it would be a great 4th of July weekend story.

The newspaper article can be found HERE

The story from the evening news is HERE

What a great way to let families around me know about OpLove and hope that it will inspire a few photographers in my area to step up as well!!
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Wonderful! Thank you for giving back.
    Jaye
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I agree with shatch....and the stories both gave me ...shudderz!!!:D

Very inspirational!
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I did not know about this. I will have to contact the NOSC where my husband is on active duty and talk to them about the sailor and marine families before deployment and getting them all my contact numbers and emails.
    Thank you for doing these and sharing. *Worried about diaperlessness on flag...mwink.gif * rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 7, 2008
    *Worried about diaperlessness on flag...mwink.gif * rolleyes1.gif

There was a strategically placed waterproof pad under her. I wasn't about to take that chance:D
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks Jeff and Jaye...

It truly is my business "philosophy".....the one quote they decided not to put in the story.....

"God's plan is bigger and better than mine. I will do what I can to stay in His plan.....I will continue to give Him ALL the credit....and I will give back Absolutely everything that I can."

It has been amazing to witness His faithfulness by sticking to this.

I know everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.....that is mine, it is how I live and how I do business.

All the gifts and talents I have, I thank God for everyday.
    Heather
    My Blog My Facebook Page
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    Thanks Jeff and Jaye...

It truly is my business "philosophy".....the one quote they decided not to put in the story.....

"God's plan is bigger and better than mine. I will do what I can to stay in His plan.....I will continue to give Him ALL the credit....and I will give back Absolutely everything that I can."

It has been amazing to witness His faithfulness by sticking to this.

I know everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.....that is mine, it is how I live and how I do business.

All the gifts and talents I have, I thank God for everyday.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif