More senior picture practice

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in People
I am reading a book--The Moment It Clicks--great read. There is a chapter called, "If you want to take great pictures, stand in front of something interesting." I guess the portrait paraphrase of this is, "If you want to take pretty pictures, stand in front of pretty people." Kalyn seemed hard to take a really bad picture of. CC welcome

307202743_4WVq7-M.jpg

307203943_GX6dP-M.jpg

307208294_h2ksN-M.jpg

307211588_NLMFL-M.jpg

307213968_ZUHqE-M.jpg

307217375_d4sag-M.jpg

307219916_ecCAz-M.jpg

307221519_NZg8m-M.jpg

Comments

• ChazmanChazman Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2008
    Hey Josh, I just got that book yesterday. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Chuck
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    definitely attractive, great shots,
    what's with the blurry foot? It seems like like it should be in the dof.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    definitely attractive, great shots,
    what's with the blurry foot? It seems like like it should be in the dof.

good eye. It is the magic of photoshop. I thought it would draw more attention to her. No?
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    I'm not on a good monitor today but this is one of my favorite sets from you.
    Can we see it without the blurred foot?
    From that perspective I don't think you need to blur any parts of her.
    Only thing I'm not fond of is the nose shadow in #2 and the green weeds in her face.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    behold the feet!
    evoryware wrote:
    I'm not on a good monitor today but this is one of my favorite sets from you.
    Can we see it without the blurred foot?
    From that perspective I don't think you need to blur any parts of her.
    Only thing I'm not fond of is the nose shadow in #2 and the green weeds in her face.

thanks for the kind words. I agree about the shadow. for the FYI file that shadow is coming from a the gold side of the reflector. I toned down the yellowness some--thought probably not enough for some eyes. Dang those reflectors can cast some light. She is sitting in total shade with the reflector coming right at her.

Oh, the foot. I think you might be right about this one too. sometimes I can get too happy with PS

307339719_uVZGt-M.jpg

by the way, this was the actual shot. I thought it was unusable. Really windy day in New Mexico.

307339801_fV5ze-M.jpg
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    much better, the fact is with the blurry foot that's all I could look at.
    This location also looks like it would be a great place for some shooting of the set. I'm intrigued by all the charm of the scene.
    in #3I like the blowing hair however I think you did the right thing in this one by removing it.

maybe tighter on the bottom and right
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Not loving the yellow/gold color cast in the first two or the fly-away hair in #3.

Love the lighitng in #5 though - I love using the sun as a hair light as it's so easy and give great results. Not so sure about the blurry foot though.

#7 is also quite nice.

And, you're right - I don't think you can take a bad photo of this young lady!