Options

Playing with Light

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited June 6, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I decide to try some nighttime zoom blur shots the other night. These are of downtown San Diego from across the bay. I don't have an IS lens yet, so even with the tripod there was definite camera shake durring the zooming, but I like the outcomes.

Very abstracted...
2551289724_da92549e5c_o.jpg

A little clearer view, still with plenty of shake though!! :D
2551608736_c652ab076c_o.jpg

C&C always welcomed!!
Thanks for looking!!
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I decide to try some nighttime zoom blur shots the other night. These are of downtown San Diego from across the bay. I don't have an IS lens yet, so even with the tripod there was definite camera shake durring the zooming, but I like the outcomes.

Very abstracted...

A little clearer view, still with plenty of shake though!! :D

C&C always welcomed!!
    Thanks for looking!!

I like the second one because you can see what it actually is in the background. thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    I like the idea thumb.gif

Shots like this need a tripod to get most of the shake out and even then it helps to have a silky smooth zoom action.

If you want to try something really hard, try making flower patterns or something in that general direction. This is something I've wanted to do with twinkling stars, but I guess it would take a computerized tracking mount :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    cool. I'd like to see you try levels to make the sky go totally black.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    :D
    Skippy wrote:
    I like the second one because you can see what it actually is in the background. thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy! thumb.gif

I spent a lot of time playing with exposure time and how long durring the exposure I was zooming. The second one was a real quick zoom at the very end of it, while the first was a long slow zoom through out.

I agree that it's nice to be able to see the sky line, but I also like the first because to me, it looks like the lights have taken on almost a woven fabric kind of feel.

Thanks for looking!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I like the idea thumb.gif

Shots like this need a tripod to get most of the shake out and even then it helps to have a silky smooth zoom action.

If you want to try something really hard, try making flower patterns or something in that general direction. This is something I've wanted to do with twinkling stars, but I guess it would take a computerized tracking mount :D

I agree completely Pyry!!
    I really was using my tripod!! I swear it!! :D
    But the lens is still new and made I just need to work it in a little more as the zooming really wasn't as smooth as I would have liked... plus I wasn't dressed for the cool air down by the water, so some of the shake was probably a result of me shaking!! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    cool. I'd like to see you try levels to make the sky go totally black.

Wow!! Great idea Josh!! thumb.gif
    I feel a little silly I didn't see that...
    I took a couple seconds to tinker with them here at work, but work is work so they're really quickly done... I'll try some more detailed fixing at home when time allows!! :D

2553554295_772e50c23c_o.jpg

2553554347_b428a50471_o.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I agree completely Pyry!!
    I really was using my tripod!! I swear it!! :D
    But the lens is still new and made I just need to work it in a little more as the zooming really wasn't as smooth as I would have liked... plus I wasn't dressed for the cool air down by the water, so some of the shake was probably a result of me shaking!! rolleyes1.gif

I kinda thought you did have a tripod :D
    I've been gently directed towards using a tripod when I already was too, problem that time was I'd set the tripod up on a floating pier lol3.gif

If you have access to a 100-400 L or better yet the rarer 28-300 L, those being push-pull trombones with adjustable zoom friction (that goes to really loose :D ), they might just be well suited to this sort of thing. In fact, I think might give this a go :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I kinda thought you did have a tripod :D
    I've been gently directed towards using a tripod when I already was too, problem that time was I'd set the tripod up on a floating pier lol3.gif

If you have access to a 100-400 L or better yet the rarer 28-300 L, those being push-pull trombones with adjustable zoom friction (that goes to really loose :D ), they might just be well suited to this sort of thing. In fact, I think might give this a go :D

Haha!! Well, Pyry, at least it's nice to know that we're both in the same boat there!!! rolleyes1.gif

Great idea!! I'll look into those lenses to see if I can figure out where to borrow one from!

And I gotta say, doing this was really fun!! I got a ton of shots that are awful, but enough that were at least interesting that I'm going to keep trying and fiddling and having fun!! thumb.gif

Next up, seeing what it does durring the day!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    And I gotta say, doing this was really fun!! I got a ton of shots that are awful, but enough that were at least interesting that I'm going to keep trying and fiddling and having fun!! thumb.gif

Next up, seeing what it does durring the day!!

Fun is what it's all about! thumb.gif
    And you've given me an inspiration to try something new too, thanks for that :D

I've tried this during the day, you get a sort of hyperdrive effect that's really wierding out to look at - take a look. :D
    Should be quite interesting in the city streets, give it go :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Fun is what it's all about! thumb.gif
    And you've given me an inspiration to try something new too, thanks for that :D

I've tried this during the day, you get a sort of hyperdrive effect that's really wierding out to look at - take a look. :D
    Should be quite interesting in the city streets, give it go :D

WOW!! Awesome shot Pyry!!!!! clap.gif

Downtown is near the top of my list for next shooting location, I will definitely try some of these shots down there!!
    Thank you for giving me some inspiration!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos