A Few Images from the Isle of Mull Workshop

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited June 15, 2008 in Landscapes
I have been working up some of my images from Marc's recent workshop on the Isle of Mull. Posting images following Andy, Emmanuel, BigSky, and Schmoo is a very intimidating task. I have a few that I want to share nonetheless.

Nightingale and I spent a full week travelling in Wales and England before the workshop assembled in Glasgow. Getting to see the Roman Baths, Hadrian's Wall and various castles and cathedrals will be memories that remain with both of us for a lifetime. Kerry was an excellent tour guide and companion on the first week, and we both want to thank her for her helping arrange that portion of the trip.

With that I will open with a scene from the UK, we will all recognize.

Stonehenge -
301729633_Yfy8A-XL.jpg

Hadrian's Wall on the northern English border with Scotland.
304365094_LdXTp-XL.jpg

We had no sooner gotten off the island ferry to Mull, when we passed the scene designed to inspire visiting photgraphers hosted by the Mull Tourism Board:D
304600156_wo2bx-XL.jpg

304602518_mmo3s-XL.jpg

We could have spent a full day just shooting old wrecked fishing boats.

But we came to see and shoot the landscapes and seashores of Mull

A dark and stormy beach on Mull
302662812_MyQHp-XL.jpg

And another dark and stormy day
306265921_M8bpB-XL.jpg

The lighthouse
306886846_DWb8i-XL.jpg

The seashore
306315385_ftmnU-XL.jpg

303325919_4rFYH-XL.jpg

The beaches were overcrowded - such crowds!!
304363212_wULYC-XL.jpg

We saw lots of livestock

303751512_gZJ6S-XL.jpg

And highland cattle
307272544_JaGTT-XL.jpg

The scenery was gorgeous, the locals made us feel right at home, and the weather was beautiful. What more could you possibly want?

Maybe a little Scotch. They had that too at the Tobemory Distillery
303202885_gVfJ3-XL.jpg

And then home over Greenland
303747322_CWhbK-XL.jpg

I want to thank Marc, Andy, Dave and all who were involved in organizing and carrying out this workshop. It was great!:thumb

Comments and criticisms welcomed
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    WOW!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Outstanding work. Incredible variety. I love the panos and the B&W on the boats. I'd love to see more!!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    we have been waiting:D and yes it was worth the wait....

the bull is so funny to me....ive got to show harod (our bull) the hair-dos the scots have:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Well done Jim!!!!!!

I would have enjoyed going to see Stonehenge too but there just aren't enough vacation days in a year. Your 1st picture almost makes me feel like I was there.:D

Seeing more Mull pictures just keeps the good memories coming.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Fred W wrote:
    Seeing more Mull pictures just keeps the good memories coming.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif

Jim, such great work from you as we'd expect! I think I was asleep over Greenland... that looks gorgeous and I'm sorry I missed it!

I didn't even see these compositions when we were visiting all of these beaches. Ah, if only there was a "next time." I love having my eyes opened to the endelss artistic possibilities of a location, even if there isn't.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Great images, Jim. clap.gif So glad you and Nightingale enjoyed that first week.

My father told me after I returned home that someone vandalized Stonehenge with a hammer and chisel right after we visited it. I've been wanting to see it for years, and I'm grateful we did before it was defaced by idiots. rolleyes1.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Great post Jimthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

This image stands out especially because I recall how most found this a tough situation to photograph and this proves you have the eyewings.gif You have the right contrast in the FG and a good balance between it and the cloudy sky.
    306315385_ftmnU-XL.jpg

GE.jpg

Looks like a future workshop location I think I see Emanuel on that mountain beloweek7.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008

GE.jpg

Looks like a future workshop location I think I see Emanuel on that mountain beloweek7.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Beautiful work Jim, I was starting to wonder where your photos were. Now you have to get Kathy to post some of her excellent photos for us to see. I really like the lighthouse.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Marc, that was funny. I wasn't there and I think I recognize him on that
    bump.

Jim, some great stuff. And I agree with the assessment of that rock garden
    on the coast. Beautiful.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Fantastic shots! Looks like you guys had way too much fun over there! I like the wall, boats (both of them), and cattle (fantastic light) shots especially.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    WOW!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Outstanding work. Incredible variety. I love the panos and the B&W on the boats. I'd love to see more!!

I was offline due to a power outage ( over 8 hours and still dead voltage), so I have been slow to respond.

Thank you for the kind words Grimace.

Here are two shots you might like....

An old dinghy in B&W

307271863_PPn8H-XL.jpg

Here is Mark at work near the edge...

306304269_frrFF-XL.jpg

And Sarah (Photempt) as well

306479695_52KSN-XL.jpg

edited June 5, 2008
    we have been waiting:D and yes it was worth the wait....

the bull is so funny to me....ive got to show harod (our bull) the hair-dos the scots have:D

Hi Aaron,

We drove by so many highland cattle, and didn't stop, I was threatening a rebellion. That was one of the images I really wanted to get on this trip - preferably on a dark and stormy day. Alas, we were doomed to shoot the cattle only briefly in mid-day sunshinene_nau.gif

Sarah asked if the cattle were friendly, and Kevin( our guide ) said "sure the cattle are friendly". So everyone crawled over the fence, and Sarah took her tripod with her. Now, you must know that Sarah was the first to start shooting, and the last to leave. She was a relentless photographer and I say that with the greatest respect and affection

So when Kevin said "it is time to leave" because the local bull had loomed into view, Sarah did not want to leave and said " You said they were friendly!"

And Kevin responded "I didn't say the Bull was friendly!!":D :D

I laughed so hard I cried.

edited June 5, 2008
    Fred W wrote:
    Well done Jim!!!!!!

I would have enjoyed going to see Stonehenge too but there just aren't enough vacation days in a year. Your 1st picture almost makes me feel like I was there.:D

Hi Fred, where are all your pictures, guy??

I am glad you enjoyed the shots of Stonehenge. I was disappointed at the remote vantage point they allow tourists at Stonehenge these days. You are roped back about 50 yards or so, so no closeups at all are possible, and the access is limited to the hours of 9 am to 6 pm or so. So the lighting is less than optimal.

This contributed to my decision to use a sepia style rendering.

I am glad you like it, I do too. It is a 4 or 5 frame pano from a 40D.

edited June 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Jim, such great work from you as we'd expect! I think I was asleep over Greenland... that looks gorgeous and I'm sorry I missed it!

I didn't even see these compositions when we were visiting all of these beaches. Ah, if only there was a "next time." I love having my eyes opened to the endelss artistic possibilities of a location, even if there isn't.

Thanks for the kind words, Stephanie. Congratulations on your new position. I expect to see great things from you in the future.

I was in the middle seat flying home and looked out the window and just HAD to have that image of Greenland!! I was probably not real popular with the folks nearer the window seat on that flight.:D

I agree, that the beach scenes were challenging. SO Large, and immense - Hard to visualize on paper. I made a resolution to try to shoot with the 24mm T&S as Marc taught us, even though I have never really been a good wide angle shooter. I tend to favor teles, and details, rather than broad scenes. Or zooms rather than primes. But primes rock for sharpness.

The rocks just caught my eye, I guess. I have dozens of similar frames - some shot at panos as well.ne_nau.gif

edited June 5, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Great images, Jim. clap.gif So glad you and Nightingale enjoyed that first week.

My father told me after I returned home that someone vandalized Stonehenge with a hammer and chisel right after we visited it. I've been wanting to see it for years, and I'm grateful we did before it was defaced by idiots. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Kerry - Kathy and I had a fabulous time!! SO many new things to see and do. We want to return and travel over much of the area again at some time. Even driving was a hoot!

I heard that report about the defacing at Stonehenge - I read they chipped off a piece or rock abut the size of a dollar coin. Some folks just don't seem to get it, do they?

Just think how long it has stood out there on that open plain in the weather, and how many people have marveled at it.

Unfortunately, I have numerous images of rock art out West that have been defaced by tools or firearms also. There will always be those who try to diminish the works of others.

Lets see some of Your pictures!thumb.gif

edited June 5, 2008
    Great post Jimthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

This image stands out especially because I recall how most found this a tough situation to photograph and this proves you have the eyewings.gif You have the right contrast in the FG and a good balance between it and the cloudy sky.
    306315385_ftmnU-S.jpg

GE.jpg

Thanks for commenting Marc. It means a lot to me.

Somewhere I have a frame of Emmanuel that I mean to post. His enthusiasm was just contagious wasn't it? I think you're right, that was him down there in the ice in Greenland!!:D :D

edited June 5, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Beautiful work Jim, I was starting to wonder where your photos were. Now you have to get Kathy to post some of her excellent photos for us to see. I really like the lighthouse.

Hi Nick.

You know I am always late to the party after a workshop!!:D I have to drive home, sober up, and look at my images on the big screenthumb.gif

I am glad you liked the lighthouse shot. Andy had the killer lighthouse shot of the trip though!

Kathy is always to reluctant to post, and yet, she has some nice work. Maybe I will post edit some of it to encourage her to share her eye. Give me a couple days.

edited June 5, 2008
    ian408 wrote:

Jim, some great stuff. And I agree with the assessment of that rock garden
    on the coast. Beautiful.

Thanks Ian. Too bad we can't ride to Scotland, isn't it? They have more curvy roads per mile than anywhere I have ever been, and that includes W Virginia and places out West. I wonder if there is a rental place in Scotland?

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks Ian. Too bad we can't ride to Scotland, isn't it? They have more curvy roads per mile than anywhere I have ever been, and that includes W Virginia and places out West. I wonder if there is a rental place in Scotland?
    I think there is. A GS would be just the ticket. That and a Bibler tent and
    you're good to go :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 5, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Fantastic shots! Looks like you guys had way too much fun over there! I like the wall, boats (both of them), and cattle (fantastic light) shots especially.

Thanks Ron, I am glad you enjoyed them.

I looked at your galleries. You have some very nice landscapes in there. Folks should take a look!thumb.gif

edited June 5, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited June 5, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Aaron,

We drove by so many highland cattle, and didn't stop, I was threatening a rebellion. That was one of the images I really wanted to get on this trip - preferably on a dark and stormy day. Alas, we were doomed to shoot the cattle only briefly in mid-day sunshinene_nau.gif

Sarah asked if the cattle were friendly, and Kevin( our guide ) said "sure the cattle are friendly". So everyone crawled over the fence, and Sarah took her tripod with her. Now, you must know that Sarah was the first to start shooting, and the last to leave. She was a relentless photographer and I say that with the greatest respect and affection

So when Kevin said "it is time to leave" because the local bull had loomed into view, Sarah did not want to leave and said " You said they were friendly!"

And Kevin responded "I didn't say the Bull was friendly!!":D :D

I laughed so hard I cried.

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I was in the middle seat flying home and looked out the window and just HAD to have that image of Greenland!! I was probably not real popular with the folks nearer the window seat on that flight.:D

:giggle Being the window-seat occupant, I can only say it was my own fault because I tapped you on the shoulder and pointed out the window when I saw that site. If I'd had access to my P&S, I would have been doing the same. :D
    pathfinder wrote:
    I Lets see some of Your pictures!thumb.gif

Still processing! deal.gif I whittled the 5,000+ images down to ~950 and stopped looking at them for a couple days so I could whittle down more. Maybe within the next month my inner pefectionist will be happy enough with them to post. thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I like this one a great deal, PF. The people make the shot. I guess Marc does know what he's talking about! lol3.gif

304363212_wULYC-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Nice series Pathfinder, I really struggled to find anything on that day, you have a good eye for making the most of the conditions.

Charlie
    edited June 15, 2008
    Thanks Charlie.

Here's another sunset on Mull

311593423_HBYBF-XL.jpg

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Great photography.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

Here's another sunset on Mull

311593423_HBYBF-XL.jpg

Nice sunset Jim.

Hey, I recognize that guy !!! :D:D