Should I be fixating on getting 70-200 f2.8L IS?

M500M500 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Cameras
Have a dilemma in getting a long zoom that is usable indoor for concern/recital needs. I'm fixating on getting EF 70~200mm f2.8L IS as I hear this is the best for my purposes. The price is a bit too much for me but workable. Is this my only choice or would Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS will do? I have Canon 40D and no external flash . Flash most likely won't be allow during recital anyway. Any help will be great, thanks.
Canon For Life! :ivar
EOS 40D
Tamron 17~50mm F2.8 Di II
EF 28~135mm IS USM
EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
1. Canon EF 70~200mm f/2.8L IS USM
2. Canon EF 24~70mm f/2.8L USM
3. Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    What about the non-IS version? The cost is $500 less, it is easier to handle (weight-wise) but still delivers that sweet 2.8. I went with the non-IS version and it is amazingly sharp. My shutter speeds are usually too fast to use IS when I'm off a tripod anyway mwink.gif

The 55-250 is way way too slow for what you want to do, IMHO (based on trying to use my 28-135 indoors without flash, same speed)
    ~ Lisa
  • M500M500 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    What about the non-IS version? The cost is $500 less, it is easier to handle (weight-wise) but still delivers that sweet 2.8. I went with the non-IS version and it is amazingly sharp. My shutter speeds are usually too fast to use IS when I'm off a tripod anyway mwink.gif

The 55-250 is way way too slow for what you want to do, IMHO (based on trying to use my 28-135 indoors without flash, same speed)

Good info. At least I know 55-250 is a no go. Now I will need to decide on if IS would be beneficial for me or not for $500.00 No sure how I determine that . $500 for IS seem to be a bit steep.
    EOS 40D
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
    edited June 4, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    Good info. At least I know 55-250 is a no go. Now I will need to decide on if IS would be beneficial for me or not for $500.00 No sure how I determine that . $500 for IS seem to be a bit steep.

here's an idea to help you, maybe. take your 28-135 out on a nice bright day and turn off the IS, set the zoom to around 100mm and try to shoot some kids playing or birds. The shutter speed should be high on AV mode (at 5.6), so you'll see if you can get clean shots at high speed without IS. worth a try at least, right?

The reason you need light is that you gotta shoot fast shutter speed and 5.6 is i think the fastest fstop you'll get at 100mm with that lens. You'll definately want to shoot at moving objects to try and simulate what you are planning to do with the 70-200 at 2.8, as best you can.
    ~ Lisa
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Can I stick my oar in and say that for concerts you need all the help you can get, IS makes a huge difference when you are indoors and fighting for every photon of light you can get.

If you can get close enough, even think about getting an 85mm f1.2. it will help you blur out the busy backgrounds that you can't often control in this type of setting.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    I'm not sure if the 70-200 f2.8 IS would be good personally. Even with the IS on, the slow shutter movement will show subject movement blur.

Personally, I'd go with a 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2, or a 135mm f2L so you can get double the shutter speed or more with the 85mm f1.8.
  • vetkrazyvetkrazy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    You might want to consider renting the lens and giving it a try first. The amount of light availble at the concert/recital is going to be the determining factor. If it is very low light even the f/2.8 might not be enough. The IS will give you several extra stops but will do nothing about motion blur from the subjects you are shooting. If they are stationary you are home free. How far away you are from the stage is another point. The 135 f/2 and 85 f/1.8 are also good choices.
    Fast Cars : Fast Glass : and an understanding wife

www.vetkrazy.exposuremanager.com
    edited June 4, 2008
    Depends on luck I will be anywhere 20 ~ 40 feet away from the stage.

vetkrazy wrote:
    You might want to consider renting the lens and giving it a try first. The amount of light availble at the concert/recital is going to be the determining factor. If it is very low light even the f/2.8 might not be enough. The IS will give you several extra stops but will do nothing about motion blur from the subjects you are shooting. If they are stationary you are home free. How far away you are from the stage is another point. The 135 f/2 and 85 f/1.8 are also good choices.
    EOS 40D
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
  • keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I would buy a
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 - $600 used
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 - $85
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 - $330

I've owned the Sigma and absolutely loved it. It's a fast zoom...then you have your primes for when you need more light.
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    . My shutter speeds are usually too fast to use IS when I'm off a tripod anyway mwink.gif
    i dont mean to hi jack your thread but...
    im thinking about getting the same lens and im kinda very un knowlegable with the whole is non is thing. so i take it that the IS only works with a slow shutter speed?
    thanks
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    I would buy a
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 - $600 used
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 - $85
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 - $330

I've owned the Sigma and absolutely loved it. It's a fast zoom...then you have your primes for when you need more light.

Thats a good recommendation for indoor action. But I think
    he already has the 50/1.8. I would go with the 70-200/2.8 L non-IS
    and the 85mm/1.8. The 1.8 will save your day in poorly lit
    gyms where even the 70-200 /2.8 can be too slow for fast
    moving action.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited June 5, 2008
    85mm F1.8 seen like a good choice in the condition that I will be using it for but the distant of 5 meter between my subject will make this strictly a show time lens only as I won't have clearance space as a walk around or family journal usage. But its definitely WINs in the affordability department. Something I'll be able to get in a heart beat. 85mm f/1.8 will be mine first choice if I don't have enough toy fund for a 70~200mm f/2.8 in time for the next piano recital.
    EOS 40D
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
  • FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    i dont mean to hi jack your thread but...
    im thinking about getting the same lens and im kinda very un knowlegable with the whole is non is thing. so i take it that the IS only works with a slow shutter speed?
    thanks

IS (and VR and OS) will work at fast shutter speeds as well. It's just you won't see the benefit of it.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
    edited June 5, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    85mm F1.8 seen like a good choice in the condition that I will be using it for but the distant of 5 meter between my subject will make this strictly a show time lens only as I won't have clearance space as a walk around or family journal usage. But its definitely WINs in the affordability department. Something I'll be able to get in a heart beat. 85mm f/1.8 will be mine first choice if I don't have enough toy fund for a 70~200mm f/2.8 in time for the next piano recital.

The 70-200 also has a 5m focus distance I beleive.
    ~ Lisa
    edited June 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    The 70-200 also has a 5m focus distance I beleive.
    1,5m
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited June 5, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    1,5m

True, thats what the switch says....oh, i was thinking feet! rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Allow me to pipe up as I have just a little bit of experience here... ;)

In direct answer to the question: No.

The main issue is IS accounts for camera shake at slower shutter speeds. That does you little to no good for moving subjects. After having borrowed & rented the IS version of the lens for a bit over a year, I finally bought the non-IS. I do not miss the lack of IS one little bit. Since you say you cannot buy either lens before the next event, rent one--preferably the IS. Just about every rental place ought to have several 70-200/2.8L IS lenses available. Then try running the lens with IS on for a while & off for a while. That should definitively answer your question for yourself. deal.gif

I agree that the 55-250 is way too slow to consider for low-light--there's a reason we all are fixated on the fast L zooms or even faster primes.
    edited June 9, 2008
    I guess I should be renting them for the special occasion instead of buying as I probably don't have a lot of use for it normally. But again, who knows.
    Allow me to pipe up as I have just a little bit of experience here... ;)

In direct answer to the question: No.

The main issue is IS accounts for camera shake at slower shutter speeds. That does you little to no good for moving subjects. After having borrowed & rented the IS version of the lens for a bit over a year, I finally bought the non-IS. I do not miss the lack of IS one little bit. Since you say you cannot buy either lens before the next event, rent one--preferably the IS. Just about every rental place ought to have several 70-200/2.8L IS lenses available. Then try running the lens with IS on for a while & off for a while. That should definitively answer your question for yourself. deal.gif

I agree that the 55-250 is way too slow to consider for low-light--there's a reason we all are fixated on the fast L zooms or even faster primes.
    EOS 40D
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    I guess I should be renting them for the special occasion instead of buying as I probably don't have a lot of use for it normally.

Heh, heh . . . the truth will out! Glass lust rears its ugly (but strangely irresistable) head.

If you seldom need it, rent it. Trouble with me is, every lens I ever rented, I bought later anyway:D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    I guess I should be renting them for the special occasion instead of buying as I probably don't have a lot of use for it normally. But again, who knows.

Actually, if you plan on using the lens more than once, buying is probably the right thing to do since L glass tends to hold its value very well. Example, today I just purchased a 70-200 f/4 IS for $1024.95. With the UW date code on it, say I use it for 2 years at worst, once a year, I can sell it for around $900-950. On the high end of the estimate, the price depreciation wouldn't even cover the shipping and handling from the lens rental company, let alone the rental fees.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
    edited June 10, 2008
    If the lens price do held up over time then buying would be my smartest move. I guess I'll have to think about it again when I have the fund.
    EOS 40D
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    If the lens price do held up over time then buying would be my smartest move. I guess I'll have to think about it again when I have the fund.
    Lots of good advice already given. I'll throw my experience in. My 70-200 IS has been my workhorse lens, up until last weekend exclusively used for outdoor sports. Then, I took it inside for a dance recital (shot from about 100 feet) and got some of the most spectacular images that I have ever been able to capture (all luck, no skill). The IS/non-IS angle on this is interesting and it's good advice to explore it, but boy oh boy what a lens! (footnote: I shot on manual at a high shutter speed so cannot comment on whether IS helped me or not).
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Funny, just a few days ago I was in the school assembly room with my 70-200 f/4L IS and my 135mm f/2L wishing I either had:

1. a 1.4x TC for the 135mm
    2. a 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    :cry
    edited June 11, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Funny, just a few days ago I was in the school assembly room with my 70-200 f/4L IS and my 135mm f/2L wishing I either had:

2. a 70-200 f/2.8L IS

Not all lighting is created equal :D There will always be those situations
    where we wish we had another tool at hands. Be it because of weight,
    reach, aperature or IS.
    ― Edward Weston
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Pindy wrote:

2. a 70-200 f/2.8L IS

I'm sure that a 135L will eventually make it into my bag for those indoor lighting situations, but for the majority of running around after my son outside (Bronx Zoo, parks, etc.), the f/4 IS is all that I could possibly ask for from a lens.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex