Options

I know it's late but... some bball pix!

SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Sports
Hi everybody,

I finally processed a couple of my nephew's bball games. 'Been thinking about Steve all along and the trials of shooting the relative's games. I of course ran into the white balance problems :scratch and elected to use B&W instead. I also tried the Nik filter system on some of the B & W which I and the other female contingency like but ofund that the guys all like the plain B & W and better yet the color shots to show the school colors. So, here are a few. I hopew that I do this correctly and they show up.

Thanks for looking and any thoughts that you might have,

Susan

The whole galleries are at: http://susanb.smugmug.com/gallery/473168 and http://susanb.smugmug.com/gallery/430976

17303885-L-1.jpg

17477815-L.jpg
17477809-L.jpg

And then from the second game that had better lighting for a few color shots:

19205340-L.jpg
19205327-L.jpg

19205349-L.jpg

19205348-L.jpg

19205351-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Oops, sorry about the really bad formattingeek7.gifne_nau.gif I'm new to this posting stuff.

I'll try better next time. If you have any ideas how to fix these problems please let me know!

Susan
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    I fixed up some of the formatting but I think your second batch of images
    might need to have the external links enabled. Select the gallery they appear
    in, then "customize" and check that "ext links" is marked yes.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I fixed up some of the formatting but I think your second batch of images
    might need to have the external links enabled. Select the gallery they appear
    in, then "customize" and check that "ext links" is marked yes.

Ian
    Ian,

Thank you sooo much! I thought about going back and trying to fix it but since I couldn't the first time, I was worried that the formatting would get worse. I made sure that the external links are enabled. I think that I'll pick medium size next time and make sure that I put spaces inbetween the pictures. I'm not sure why they showed up side by side when they were longitudinal as I constructed the post. Then when I was trying to move the images around the thread got posted all by itself eek7.gif . Go figureheadscratch.gif
    Thanks again,

Susan
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    Susan,

These came out nicely thumb.gifthumb.gif Very sharp and the color is good (on the non-B&W's). Was this your first B-ball shoot? If so, you did amazingly well clap.gifclap.gif

You caught some nice action and the exposures all look good. You got a bit tilted on a few of them, but that's a common problem (I do it all the time too....lol).

So what were the particulars? Camera, lens, ISO, WB? Did you try to do a manual or custom white balance? I've found it really helps the jpgs and the look of the images in the viewfinder. Plus, it cuts down on the post processing time.

Thanks for sharing these, I am impressed thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Susan,

These came out nicely thumb.gifthumb.gif Very sharp and the color is good (on the non-B&W's). Was this your first B-ball shoot? If so, you did amazingly well clap.gifclap.gif

You caught some nice action and the exposures all look good. You got a bit tilted on a few of them, but that's a common problem (I do it all the time too....lol).

So what were the particulars? Camera, lens, ISO, WB? Did you try to do a manual or custom white balance? I've found it really helps the jpgs and the look of the images in the viewfinder. Plus, it cuts down on the post processing time.

Thanks for sharing these, I am impressed thumb.gif

Steve
    Thanks Steve,

The Memorial Park game was my first game and the Bulldogs was my second game. What a trip! I learned so much from reading your posts before going all the way to Texas and capturing these games and I really appreciate your help via your posts. i have some nice captures for the kids. I still have the lttle nephew's gane to complete too.

I used the1Dmk ll with the 135mm 2.0 L lens for the closeup and closer shots and, the D60 with the 35mm 1.4 L lens for the wide angle shots. I already had the 24-70 2.8 L and the 70-200 4.0 lenses but realized that even with the cool high ISO capability of the Mk ll that noise and likely lack of fast enough shutter speed was going to be a problem. So, I went all out and purchased the two new lenses and just like the saying goes, the memories, you cannot put a price on, especially since the kids live quite aways from their aunt here in so Cal. The first game, I set the shutter speed to 1/500 s and sat midway up in the bleachers. Then for the second game, I set the aperture priority and sat on the floor level bleacher in the middle of the length of the court. I took the expodisk that I have never used before and snapped shots with that at the light and just couldn't get it to work well enough in post, so I just used PSCS and did the best that I could.

Thanks for checking em out. I have thought of your travails the whole time:):

Susan