Portage Lake Alaska

Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in Landscapes
A couple of weeks ago I went on a road trip to get out and try out my new Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens. I have to say I'm really happy with it. I took these pictures out on Portage Lake about 40 mins outside of Anchorage. Any comments or suggestions always welcome.

307298604_9hSH6-L-1.jpg

307298667_kwLiB-L-1.jpg

Hope you enjoy! Thanks for looking.

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Beautiful! I like the reflection broken up by the ice in the second.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Gorgeous snow scenes! Nick has it right: the reflections are great because they are just slightly more complex than we'd expect to see them. Great job thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Checking the flight prices to Anchorage right now...

Those photos are gorgeous! Wow! The ice really does add to the photos.

It could just be me, but it looks like each has an ever so slightly tilted horizon.

Seriously, I need to get up to Alaska, between the ridiculous landscapes like the ones here, and all the cool wildlife, I don't think I'd ever leave. Until the winter (not sure I could handle all the darkness, though it would be nice to take sunset shots, nap an hour, and then not have to move anywhere for the sunrise shots!).
  • thisisacoolusernamethisisacoolusername Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2008
    i love the second one. very nice job
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Checking the flight prices to Anchorage right now...

Those photos are gorgeous! Wow! The ice really does add to the photos.

It could just be me, but it looks like each has an ever so slightly tilted horizon.

Seriously, I need to get up to Alaska, between the ridiculous landscapes like the ones here, and all the cool wildlife, I don't think I'd ever leave. Until the winter (not sure I could handle all the darkness, though it would be nice to take sunset shots, nap an hour, and then not have to move anywhere for the sunrise shots!).

Thank you to everyone who commented.

Ron - Just a note alaska is an awesome place to be. But the winters here in Anchorage aren't that bad when it comes to the darkness thing. You get about 4hrs of sunlight a day at the worst in the winter. It really never bothered me that much being someone who grew up in Syracuse NY. But yes the whole shoot nap shoot thing is totally possible in the winter and really in the summer too. In the summer you get to a point where you really only get about 4 hours of darkness too.

Oh and now that you mention it the horizon does look slightly tilted - prob gonna have to fix that.