Portrait shots to Improve

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 6, 2008 in People
I am learning taking portrait shots and I would appreciate if anyone can give me any advice. I took these shots with a 40D and at 2.8 and ISO at 400. I am looking forward to all kinds of c and c.
Regards
Bob
306769846_2absF-L.jpg
306769885_NXzKj-L.jpg
306769863_86FGq-L.jpg

Comments

• lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Hi Bob. I'm still learning myself, so not sure how helpful I'll be.

Out of the 3 I like the first one best. I find the lighting on the left of #2 and #3 to be too bright. Maybe it needed to be difused with something? Also, in #3 I would have liked to see the gentleman's eyes open.

-- Lisa P.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    They are all very centered. and the 2nd and 3rd ones look like they just washed their face before you took their shots! Also the light in those two coming from their right is kinda distracting.

Definitely a good start!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    keep reading and practicing,
    what you have here are some great expressions and thats a great start.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    First rules to consider: Focus, exposure, custom white balance, composition. Get these 4 corrected at time of shooting and before you know it, a nice portrait appears.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    First rules to consider: Focus, exposure, custom white balance, composition. Get these 4 corrected at time of shooting and before you know it, a nice portrait appears.

Thanks everyone for all your sound advice and tips which I will certainly take on board and I appreciate your replies indeed.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    To expand on what Swartzy said:
    • Focus - As far as I can see, focus is good in all three
    • Exposure - You have some issues with exposure. Specifically, with balanciing ambient light with your flash. It's pretty good in the first, but in the other two, your shutter speed is a bit slow, allowing the ambient (the table lamp?) to over-power the flash a bit too much and creating a burned out region of the photos along the left side.
    • WB - You're mixing light of two different temperatures (tungsten and your flash). This makes it quite difficult to get skin tones correct (and they aren't correct in these photos - appears to be too much red/magenta). To correct for this, you can gel your flash with either a Color Temperature - Orange (CTO) or a CTS (straw) gel. This will bring the temperature of your flash more in line with that of the tungsten lighting. Then, set your camera CWB to correspond to that of the dominate light or correct the WB in postprocessing (shooting RAW makes this task much easier).
    • Composition - they are, all three, a bit centered. Typically, centered shots are BORING. They also reduce the opportunity to include environment in the portrait. Portraits are best, like most photos, when they tell a story. In the case of a portrait, the story is about who the people are - so include something of their environment that provides these sorts of clues for the viewer. Of course, none of this applies to "head-shots" :D.