Ive got IE problems

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Ok...my cable is becoming more unreliable each week. Speed is fine once im on but i am having to retry a site maybe 3-10 times just to open it. Usually i get that... 'page cannot be displayed'

I have cleared out my viruses/trojans...run several adware/cookie cleaners. Removed cookies...defraged...scaned...talked to my provider (would you believe i recon i know more than their tech on the phone:huh ) & they have suggested i reinstall IE.

I am not interested in any other platforms or programmes as i like Xp & IE.

So how do i re-install IE ??

tks Gus

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...my cable is becoming more unreliable each week. Speed is fine once im on but i am having to retry a site maybe 3-10 times just to open it. Usually i get that... 'page cannot be displayed'

I have cleared out my viruses/trojans...run several adware/cookie cleaners. Removed cookies...defraged...scaned...talked to my provider (would you believe i recon i know more than their tech on the phoneeek7.gif ) & they have suggested i reinstall IE.

tks Gus
    Gus,

1. try Control Panel->Add/remove programs->Add/remove Windows Components

2. Deselect 'Internet Explorer'
    3. Click OK
    4. Once finished, go through the same process but re-enable it.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

I have cleared out my viruses/trojans...run several adware/cookie cleaners. Removed cookies...defraged...scaned...talked to my provider (would you believe i recon i know more than their tech on the phoneeek7.gif ) & they have suggested i reinstall IE.

tks Gus
    I would highly suggest firefox. It is more stable, more secure, and more fun to use than IE.
    -w
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Thanks heaps david & W...im always a bit of a mug with this stuff. David i decided to really crash it before trying your info & have now got Firefox running.

All working fine atm W.....god im a sucker for downloading stuff which is no doubt why im probably in this position.
    edited April 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks heaps david & W...im always a bit of a mug with this stuff. David i decided to really crash it before trying your info & have now got Firefox running.

All working fine atm W.....god im a sucker for downloading stuff which is no doubt why im probably in this position.
    Cool thumb.gif

Well at least you will be able to use my SmugBrowser firefox extension once I finally get around to releasing it.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited April 11, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Cool thumb.gif

Well at least you will be able to use my SmugBrowser firefox extension once I finally get around to releasing it.

David
    Mate dont give me anything but "press here to do this" stuff ok ? You want any bad debts collected then im your man.

Actually im still experiencing the same problem i was with IE.....i will put it back onto my supplier.
    edited April 13, 2005
    Ok guys...need help again. I dont like this motzerella fried rice thing that i have now loaded.

I want to just put it back to how it was with IE. Im running Xp so can i just find it in 'add/remove' & blast it & thus my IE will automatically reappear ?

Thanks

Gus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok guys...need help again. I dont like this motzerella fried rice thing that i have now loaded.

I want to just put it back to how it was with IE. Im running Xp so can i just find it in 'add/remove' & blast it & thus my IE will automatically reappear ?

Thanks

Gus

did you *uninstall* ie? ouch.

what don't you like about firefox?
    edited April 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

No i didnt take IE off.

Well its this easy...my google is now pommie instead of 0zzie...pictures are slower to load (may be an illusion but i notice it) ...cant upload to SM & have tried the other loader but they dont appear to work for me.

I just dont like it after a few days of trying it & now want to go back to IE.

Gus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No i didnt take IE off.

Well its this easy...my google is now pommie instead of 0zzie...pictures are slower to load (may be an illusion but i notice it) ...cant upload to SM & have tried the other loader but they dont appear to work for me.

Gus

ok so just uninstall firefox. and then click on the big blue "e" for i.e.

but, fwiw: to make your google ozzie, not pommie, just save the page www.google.com.au as a bookmark or favorite, and voila, mate, it's as good as going to the driving range with a bucket of canetoads!
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

Andy,

Just FYI. It's not actually possible to uninstall IE from a PC running 2000 or XP. If the user can do that, then they've Hex-edited Windows, and all hope is lost ;)

Luke
    edited April 13, 2005
    To reset your default
    Go to Start, Set Program Access, choose whatever mode you like and under default Web Browser, select 'Internet Explorer'.

Hope this helps,

Luke

Humungus wrote:
    No i didnt take IE off.

Gus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Minor correction
    Andy,

Just FYI. It's not actually possible to uninstall IE from a PC running 2000 or XP. If the user can do that, then they've Hex-edited Windows, and all hope is lost ;)

Luke
    Actually...
    1. Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software -> Add/Remove Windows Components
    2. Locate and uncheck Internet Explorer
    3. Hit OK
    4. No more IE for you!
    It does not mean all DLLs/COM objects gone, but IE as an app won't be there anymore..

Disclaimer: I do NOT recommend to do this, and if you do, I'm no liable for the consequences, which may be grave..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 13, 2005
    Nikolai,

As the description says:

'Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer from the Start menu and Desktop'

I've just done it for a laugh, followed by start|Run "iexplore" and am typing this post in the resulting Window....

I hardly consider deleting a few shortcuts uninstallation!

I argue that my statement stands, IE cannot be practically uninstalled... (MS VS 2k5 will still use it to display the startup page :-) [As you say, object retained])

As it's only removed a layer of makeup, I doubt there will be consequences, but I think I'll put it back, I like the icon... (Sorry, in a rather strange mood tonight... Must get more sleep)

Luke
    Nikolai wrote:
    Actually...
    1. Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software -> Add/Remove Windows Components
    2. Locate and uncheck Internet Explorer
    3. Hit OK
    4. No more IE for you!
    It does not mean all DLLs/COM objects gone, but IE as an app won't be there anymore..

Disclaimer: I do NOT recommend to do this, and if you do, I'm no liable for the consequences, which may be grave..

HTH
    edited April 13, 2005
    To reinstall IE6...
    To reinstall IE6...

firstly...

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
    Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
    Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
    Exit Registry

Once you have made the appropriate registry changes use the link below to download and install Internet Explorer 6. The Internet Explorer 6 download includes Outlook Express 6. Reboot and test for proper operation.
    <gleaned from theeldergeek.com>
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    yep:-)
    As the description says:
    'Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer from the Start menu and Desktop'
    Does just that. Makeup remover.:-)

You can also do other bad things to it (delete iexplore.exe, for instance), but, as you said, the core part is virtually unremovable.. That is, you can try, but many things will stop working..

Have some sleep:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"