Delicate Arch

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Landscapes
perhaps the most famous of the natural stone arches in The Arches national park, this one is reached by a rather strenuous hike that takes one up a steep slope of bare "slickrock"... made me realize how much 30 years at a desk have cost me!! :( but no serious photographer could visit this park without seeing this arch, and i managed to get there about 15 minutes before the clouds blew in and obscured the sun, so i got some nice shots before the light went sour... here's a sample...

IMG_0959smps.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    This particular one looks as though a small wind would blow it right off the cliff! lol3.gif

Great colors and I'm glad you made it up there to capture it. thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Man, you caught great light (soft shadows) for a great catch
    Rags
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Beautiful, I like the mountains in the background too. Nice blue sky without the harsh shadows that often accompany it. If I last another 20 years at a desk job (chances are low, I'll either go insane or get fired, possibly both) I probably won't be able to move, so you did good! :D
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Great photo! And nice timing with the snow on the mountains in the back which helps out. thumb.gif

What's the name of the trail/arch ? I want to add it to my list of to hike trails :)
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Very nice shot. Makes me want to go there......oh wait I am in October ... :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nice capture!
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    This is why it is on the Utah state license place. :D
    Did you stick around to see all the photogs shooting it near sunset?
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    This is why it is on the Utah state license place. :D
    Did you stick around to see all the photogs shooting it near sunset?

nope, a big ugly cloud moved in about 10 minutes after i took this shot and completely obscured the sun, and it stayed heavy overcast through the next day. but there were plenty of folks there when i shot this around 4 PM...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I like how the mountain peak is centered in the arch. Sky coloration is great. Sorry to hear about the overcast... but did you manage to get any good shots in the overcast, or was it just too soft? I'm having problems shooting desert light. At least here in Nevada (Reno area), all the rock is of granite and is very light, which makes it seem almost white/grey in most photographs. It pretty much is but really messes with contrast, I don't know if you have those problems there though, but if you do, any tips? ne_nau.gif Your photos are lovely!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Beautiful
    great colors
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery