So close to going into the cup...

The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Sports
I shot the golf course this past Tuesday, still working on the rest of the raw files.
I found the ball on the 14th tee, placed it on the 17th cup. Adjusted the green a little bit in CS3, but overall, pretty much the same.

D50 w/ 60mm micro
307436538_9KCWV-XL.jpg

Comments

• keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Nice shot.

I would totally adjust the horizon a little bit, to get it perfectly level (barely tilted horizons immediately catch my eye). Other than that, it's excellent! Nice work! Very clean, very solid, crisp, nice DOF, great!
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I want to pick at my last statement - I realized this might be on a hill...if so, then that would explain the barely tilted horizon.
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Because the brand doesn't say anything particular... I wouldn't necessarily give them free reighn on your photo like this... I would most likely turn it over... since i don't like free advertising.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    tjstrider wrote:
    Because the brand doesn't say anything particular... I wouldn't necessarily give them free reighn on your photo like this... I would most likely turn it over... since i don't like free advertising.

Too late now :)
    Oh well, doesn't bother me.

When they use it, I'll worry about it then.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    tjstrider wrote:
    Taking a Titleist logo off a golf ball photo would be like editing the Coca-Cola logo off a red soft-drink can. You just sort of expect it to the point that if it was missing, you'd notice it more... like, hey, I generified this shot!

Are you a golfer? Anyone who hits golf balls would probably find a ball without a logo strange and not very interesting.

I think its a nice photo. Really nice use of a shallow depth of field. I may, just maay have closed it down just enough to have the front rim of the cup in focus, however.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 8, 2008
    Yeah. Gotta leave it on there.
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    very nicethumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    I shot the golf course this past Tuesday, still working on the rest of the raw files.
    I found the ball on the 14th tee, placed it on the 17th cup. Adjusted the green a little bit in CS3, but overall, pretty much the same.

D50 w/ 60mm micro

Did you give any thought to trying to get a stop-action shot as the ball is rolling into the cup, say 1/2 way down into the cup? I wonder what that would look like?

Otherwise, a nicely creative shot. Golf is one of my other passions besides photography and it's one of the few places I spend a lot of time that I don't even have a camera with me.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Get in the hole!! *
    Golf is my second passion & I never lift a club. I spend time with my husband while he golfs trying (& mostly failing) for decent shots that say something about the sport. You succeeded with this one....how many golfers have been right on the edge like this?? mwink.gif

I agree with what Doc says about your image. Could be my laptop, but I'd try to adjust the white in the ball. I know there's green reflection, but I think it could be just a smidge whiter.

If you get a chance, check out Robert Matre's "Golf in Context" website.

D

*I hate hearing that, but I couldn't resist.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
    edited June 11, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Did you give any thought to trying to get a stop-action shot as the ball is rolling into the cup, say 1/2 way down into the cup? I wonder what that would look like?

Otherwise, a nicely creative shot. Golf is one of my other passions besides photography and it's one of the few places I spend a lot of time that I don't even have a camera with me.

I had a group coming behind me, so I didn't want to take too long.
  • coskiercoskier Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Taking a Titleist logo off a golf ball photo would be like editing the Coca-Cola logo off a red soft-drink can. You just sort of expect it to the point that if it was missing, you'd notice it more... like, hey, I generified this shot!

Are you a golfer? Anyone who hits golf balls would probably find a ball without a logo strange and not very interesting.

Since there are so many "custom logoed" golf balls out there, I'd be inclined to take Titleist off and put my own logo on (assuming I had one).

Awesome picture BTW...
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    coskier wrote:
    Since there are so many "custom logoed" golf balls out there, I'd be inclined to take Titleist off and put my own logo on (assuming I had one).

Awesome picture BTW...
    Clever idea about the self-logoing. Otherwise, and no offense, as a lifelong golfer, golf watcher, Golf Digest reader, etc etc etc, we've all seen hangers before. The self-logoing angle would be the only thing that would make this "new". Especially since you placed it. Not trying to be harsh, but you asked.