Need Help! Making someone look "more experienced"

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in People
I got a call from a friend of mine at City Hall who works for our local city councilman. Not to get into to much depth, but politics in our city is a dog fight, and our councilman is a very young man.

This is from the official city website that has biographies of the mayor and council:
In May 2005, ###### was an upset winner against an incumbent councilman in Jersey City, NJ. When Steven was sworn into office at 28 years old, he was the youngest member of the city council by more than 17 years and the third youngest in the nearly 200 year existence of the city.

I left his name out to make this invisible to search engines. Seriously, Jersey City politics is dirty.

Anyway, to the point- My friend (his aide) wants me to do some publicity shots of the guy, and the key thing is to make him look, as she put it, "more mature." The guy looks like he is 14. Seriously. Normally that's something we would all like, if we aren't 14, but in politics one needs a certain gravitas.

Here are some photos by people other than myself:

You can see what I am up against here. Also, I am not a super experience New York headhsot guy.

So, what would all you pros with Mad Skillz recommend that I do to make this guy look like an elder statesmen? Are there certain types of lighting or makeup that would help. If I surreptitiously added a touch of gray tot he temples, would that be unethical? I am suppsoed to do this friday at 4 PM, so I need some feedback Prontissimo.

Thanks,

Justi
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I don't have much too offer, but try shooting from below-angle?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I'm sorry but this post (the way you worded it) made me laugh. But that's quite a predicament. I wouldn't go with the grey hair jobby since he's a politician - people are going to be looking at him. A lot.

Andy's low angle idea was interesting. Esp if it made him look taller, more dominating.

BTW I changed your images to links, just to comply with the forum rules. thumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I think Andy is right. Take the picture from below slightly off to one side and have him in a dark suit, looking down at the camera but with his chin up and arms crossed over his chest. No smiling. Be sure to use a power background - like a very modern high rise or view from same - steel and glass.

Good luck!!

I really enjoyed your funny wedding shots, btw.

Virginia

Email
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I'm thinking high angle shot. Having him look down may show lack of confidence. You know what I mean...like a person that looks down all the time while they walk.

Have him wear a dark suit and cross his arms. Pose him at an angle while looking up. Set a ladder to the side of him and shoot down. Get head and upper torso.

If you are doing straight on... look at these:

http://www.alexkaplanphotography.com/evenmoremenheadshots.htm
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    The strobist loves to do stuff like this.......Nothing else you will get some ideas......

www.strobist.com
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I think Andy is right. Take the picture from below slightly off to one side and have him in a dark suit, looking down at the camera but with his chin up and arms crossed over his chest. No smiling. Be sure to use a power background - like a very modern high rise or view from same - steel and glass.

Good luck!!

I really enjoyed your funny wedding shots, btw.

Virginia

I agree with this approach as well. But only slightly below--you don't want to be looking up his nostrils. And a smile is OK--he's a politician, people expect him to smile.

You'd do better to think in terms of smart and authoritative rather than "older". Don't try to fake old with artificial gray temples--that will surely come back to bite him!

I'd try lighting him a bit from the side to emphasize the few facial lines he has. and maybe a jaw light to firm up the jawline. But make sure not to leave his eyes in shadow so he doesn't look shifty or mysterious.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    hmmm..have him grow some facial hair and put on 15 lbs. Also tell him not to sleep for 3 days for some good baggage under the eyes. Over sharpen/contrast all shots to exaxagerate any wrinkles.

Maybe put a cigar in his hands.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    hmmm..have him grow some facial hair and put on 15 lbs. Also tell him not to sleep for 3 days for some good baggage under the eyes. Over sharpen/contrast all shots to exaxagerate any wrinkles.

Great idea, but then people would think he was our mayor. Dude was photographed drunk and passed out, naked, on his front porch, one week before the election. He won anyway. Gotta love machine politics.

Thanks for the suggestions and links guys. Really, really helpful!
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Qarik wrote:

Agreed. Go for the Tony Soprano look. :D

I think Halite has the right idea(s).
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    LoL. No honesty left in politics.
    I'd place the main light between 45 and 90 degrees to bring out whatever wrinkles he had. Front lighting will minimize the shadows and make him look younger. Analyze his face and shoot the worst side if he has one. (I can't tell if he has one from those pics). If all else fails, photoshop him into a coffin!lol3.gif
    http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161116&page=1
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    He does have a young face. I'd picture him looking down on us, in an authoritative/ambivalent way but not in a severe way. Black and white photo and very sharp. A nice sleek suit for him and a haircut would help. Does that help?