Options

What camera bag do you guys use?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I use a Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic. It's not the world's best bag, but I love it. It's a backpack, which I find convenient. It was very cheap and holds a ton of gear.
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I have a similar problem to Moogle Pepper

I have a Canon 30D and 99.9% of the time would like to bring 70-200 2.8IS and 28-70 2.8L lenses and in the fall i'll have a flash

Currently i use the canon backpack 30$ one... i would like to find one like http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-5-AW,1976,20.htm
    this style where it is over the shoulder back but not a slingshot brand...

any recommendations for those that use that setup! I konw it is a popular set up

I didn't.... know we had a camera bag'o'holics here..eek7.gif

Sign me up!!

I need to buy another camera bag myself! My current bag holds a decent amount.. but I can't fit the 24-70 and the 70-200 in the bag. I load my wide angle, external flash, and prime in there, but the other two would have to be stashed in the top compartment which could be bad if they get knocked around alot.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Bag(s) I use...
    My name is nightspidy and I'm an addict.....a camera bag addict....along with lenses.....camera bodies.....ok, anyway back to the bag.

My bag collection was not meant to be that way, it just evolved that way and because I am a pack rat, I have kept all of the bags, because I know as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it! So I keep 'em all.

My first bag was a Rezo 140 AW by Lowepro. My Reb XT and my 2 kit lenses fit (50-200mm and 18-55mm) perfectly in the bag, plus I really liked the rain cover that came with it. I still have this bag, but I honestly haven't used it in a very long time, but I think it would be great just for a small body and maybe 2 small lenses (one attached). Perhaps the 18-55mm or 10-20mm and the nifty 50mm....I think this is why I still keep it. It's a great little starter bag. I also had a little bit of extra room for my wallet & car keys and it also fits a few CF cards.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-140-AW,2005,20.htm

My second bag was a Micro Trekker 100 also by Lowepro. I got this bag as I added 2 more lenses (100mm tokina macro and the sigma 10-20mm) to my collection and the Rezo would not be able to accomodate all 4 lenses I "had" to pack around. This bag fit all my lenses and by Reb XT and it did the job for a while. I quickly became irritated with it though as it was quite uncomfortable the way it sat on my shoulders and it was a pain in the you know what when I wanted to switch lenses. It was quickly shelved and I haven't used it in over a year. This is the one bag that I would consider getting rid of.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Micro-Trekker-100,1962,14.htm

My third bag was a Crumpler Whickey and Cox. It holds my MacBook Pro, 30D with 70-200 2.8 IS attached, 100 macro, 10-20 sigma, 24-70 2.8 mm and I can just squeeze in the 50mm and put the 1.4 extender in the storage unit at the top. I can also store the charger and a few batteries in the top storage unit, but not much. I find for all of my gear now, it is too small. At first I was really drawn to the opening of the pack facing your back so no one could just unzip and help themselves to the gear. However, I now don't like this. In order to change lenses, I have to put the bag down and unzipper 2 zippers to get at my gear, which is annoying. I also find that there is not really any room for the laptop gear....the battery, external hard drive, etc. I am going to keep the bag though for trips that wouldn't require as much gear (one or 2 lenses) plus the laptop and I will just use the leftover lens space for the laptop cords and essentials.
    http://www.pricegrabber.ca/search_getprod.php/masterid=60817989
    For some reason I can not get onto the Crumpler website, so this one will have to do for now or you can try B&H.

My "4th" bag and I say "4th" because I scammed it from my husband after he upgraded to the Lowepro Slingshot, which I will not scam from him as I don't like the way it sits across my chest or not for that matter. So, the 4th bag that I have is the Nova 3 AW Shoulder Bag by Lowepro. I can fit my 30D with 70-200mm or the 24-70mm 2.8 attached and either one of the following: 10-20mm/18-55mm/100 macro and the 50mm with the 1.4 ext in one of the pockets. I can also fit in a few CF cards and batteries and my wallet, car keys and chapstick, sunglasses & sunscreen (side pockets). I love this shoulder bag. It is comfortable and is somewhat of a purse as well for me. This is my primary bag I use when I am not travelling and just taking shots locally.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-3-AW,1974,20.htm

My 5th bag, the Tamrac Adventure 10 5550, was just purchased earlier this year and I love it! It is THE bag for me. I can fit ALL my gear in here (not included the kit lenses as I don't really use them anymore) which includes:

30D
    Rebel XT
    10-20mm sigma
    24-70mm 2.8 canon
    100mm tokina macro 2.8
    70-200mm 2.8 IS canon
    50mm 1.8 canon
    1.4 ext
    MacBook Pro
    Lacie external hard drive
    Card Reader
    Approx 20 blank cd's
    Various cords for the laptop, hard drive & card reader

This is my bag that I use on my vacations. It fits in the overhead compartment. It sits nice on my back/shoulders. The only downside is how much it weighs after I put all that stuff in it!!! But that is not the bag's fault. I paid about $275.00 CDN for it.

http://www.tamrac.com/5550.htm

So, as you can see, I think you will have more than just one bag in your collection, just like you would have different lenses for different types of shooting. I would never take my big Tamrac for day shooting on a local hike, for example, it would be overkill. I would however take my shoulder bag though. Or I would take my very first bag if I just wanted to take 2 of my smaller lenses and just 1 body (say, a birthday party).

Hope this helps and welcome to "bagaholics" :D
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Slingshot
    I have four bags: a small Lowepro (D80+ 18-135 + 50), a Nikon bag that came with my camera (D80 + 18-135 + SB-800 + 50), a Crumpler backpack which can hold my laptop also. However, none of these works as "walk/bike-around-bag" so a few days ago I bought a Lowepro Slingshot 300 http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-300%20AW,2036.htm so far it works very well. There is room for D80, 16-85, 70-300, 11-18, 50 mm and probably also my SB-800 (haven't tried yet). Comfortable and really easy to get to the camera.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    I have 4 bags! Not quite April...but almost!

I have a small Lowepro from my Sony days that would hold the 20d with the 24 - 105 on it. Lots of little compartments.

I have the Lowepro Computrekker AW - a large backpack already spoken of many times here. When I bought it Crumplers were not available locally. This bag has gone everywhere, including 2 shootouts, has been dragged and stuffed into airplane overheads, and still looks good and is totally intact. My only question is whether the Crumpler pack might be more comfortable.

I have a Crumpler 5 Million dollar home - traveling light. I can fit the 20d, 70 - 200 and the 17 - 85 in it and get it closed! Barely. Usually carry the 20d, 24 - 105, 50mm and might get the 580EX in for road trips now.

I just splurged on the JillE small leather bag - as April described previously, these are bags that look like purses, and I got it to replace the 5M for business trips. It will allow me to carry almost everything (not the 1d with 300mm on it - at least not with anything else!) plus all my usual purse stuff. And it looks good too!
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    I have the Lowe Pro Computreker AW, it's a good bag, just a tad bulky. I kinda wish I had something a bit smaller for when I don't need to bring all my lenses and flashes and laptop.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I have 4 bags! Not quite April...but almost!

I just splurged on the JillE small leather bag - as April described previously, these are bags that look like purses, and I got it to replace the 5M for business trips. It will allow me to carry almost everything (not the 1d with 300mm on it - at least not with anything else!) plus all my usual purse stuff. And it looks good too!
    Heheheh.. wings.gif Your bag collections sounds like a smaller version mine!

And the most important question of them all ... What color did you get for the Small Jill-E Bag? rolleyes1.gif

I wasn't planning on buying my medium bag, but I was at the local camera store getting a repair estimate when they were having a vendor day. The JillE rep saw me with my red purse and my red crumpler 5 million dollar and saw "sucker" written all over me. rolleyes1.gif

I loved the red color of the small one, but I liked the size of the medium more. And although medium only comes in black (red will be released in the near future), but I could not resist when I saw the 70-200 placed into it with ease and then they offered me a 20% discount. How can girl resist?

sigh. I have no will power.

But it's so pretty! :D
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Slingshot 300.. great bag. The laptop section will hold a folded Tri-grip reflector.
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Slingshot 300.. great bag. The laptop section will hold a folded Tri-grip reflector.

The "laptop section"?? I can't find a place to put a laptop in my SlingShot 300 AW (unless you're talking about an Eee PC)
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Think Tank roller bags
    I too have evolved a selection of bags. I agree with Claudermilk. You will undoubtedly need several different bags for different shooting situations. I just recently retired my Tamrac shoulder bag (Too heavy loaded!). It fit most of my gear, but, I really didn't need everything with me!. I really recommend the Think Tank Airport International 2.0. It is a roller case and saves your shoulders/back. This is the website ThinkTankPhoto

I'll figure out the way to imbed the website (again) later, but now here it is. Oh, I couldn't stand it! I edited my post and figured out how to imbed URL Hyperlinking....
    Greg
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I ended up getting two back packs. The origianl Nikon backpack that I was looking at. It is smaller and lightweight. As well as the Tamrac 5587 Expedition. It is the kitchen sink and is very well padded and will give me room to grow. Thanks everyone for your input.

http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    I ended up getting two back packs. The origianl Nikon backpack that I was looking at. It is smaller and lightweight. As well as the Tamrac 5587 Expedition. It is the kitchen sink and is very well padded and will give me room to grow. Thanks everyone for your input.

http://www.tamrac.com/5587.htm

Don't forget your ibuprofen (Motrin) when you load and carry that Expedition!!!!rolleyes1.gif:D

I see that Think Tank also has a "larger" roller style bag with shoulder straps for use in busy environments, gravel, dirt, and wet roads. Check it out here
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    LowePro Slingshot
    clap.gif Lisa - I bought a slinshot and 'then' realized it di not have tripod straps! So, back it went.! Do you ever take a tri/mono pod?
    I think many photogs are always looking for the 'right' bag. I have had an Adorama 'Slinger' for few yrs but not the 'right' thing anymore.Also have a large LowePro shldr bag that usually sits at home acting mostly as 'at home storage' for most all my gear. Or I'll take it and the slinger in my car to a shoot, and leave it-the lowpro- in the car.
    Still need something bigger than the Slinger to 'run' around a shooting event(mostly sports stuff).
    The search continues!
    Steve

darkdragon wrote:
    Wait, you are using a Canon bag for Nikon gear? eek7.gif

Anyway, yes you can get larger bags in that style. Check out bags for video cameras - for pro/semi-pro video cameras. The ones I have are huge.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have multiple camera bags. Depending on what i'm planning to do - i have a bag for the purpose, that holds the gear I neeed to bring.l I have a LowePro SlingShot 300AW that holds everything (for now) that I take when I want to take it all, but that is very rare.
  • Options
    faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one with more than one camera bag.

I have several:

Naneu Pro Alpha: Nice backpack style bag but has the standard backpack problem of getting things out quickly. On the upside, the waist belt accepts Lowe Pro SlipLoc lens cases. It's not supposed to hold a laptop, but you can squeeze a 15" in there if you absolutely have to. The quick release buckles were a little cheezy, but I bought replacements from REI for under $5 that I like a lot.

Lowe Pro Belt & Harness: This set up is amazing. You buy the belt & harness and then buy SlipLoc lens cases and pouches and you can customize it to no end. I even managed to rig a buttpack to fit on the belt. I have worn this get up with the buttpack, half a dozen lenses, my XTi w/grip, 430EX flash, spare batteries & cards, two water bottles and misc crap for 14 hours of walking around in summer heat and never felt like I needed to take it off. Lowe Pro names all their weatherproof stuff with AW in the name. The lens cases aren't listed as AW, but they must be. I got caught in a downpour while wearing this and had to ride home from Seattle to Everett (about 30 miles) and was soaked to the bone. My lenses and camera were still dry. The downside? You look like you're going to jump out of a helicopter and start throwing grenades around. It's basically a super comfortable, all black version of A.L.I.C.E. web gear. I always get asked which newspaper I work for when I wear it. I was shooting for a local band one evening and some drunk lady kept insisting that I was a cop...because of the harness. Final verdict: TOTALLY worth it.

Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=6

This is my "low profile" grab & go bag. It is the ultimate man purse. I can fit the XTi w/grip, batteries, flash w/batteries, 20GB of memory cards, Honl Photo snoot (flat), camera rain cover, 50mm, 28-70mm, 80-200mm (in the 32oz water bottle holder), cleaning cloth & fluid, and there's attachemnt points that will hold SlipLoc cases and my cell phone holder. It's very comfortable. The shoulder pad is seperate from the strap, so when you slide the bag around to get something out, it stays put.

I also have the Typhoon Gearslinger pack. It's not as useful as a daily carry camera bag, but it's my daily pack for work (I ride a motorcycle a lot) and I can fit my lunch, laptop, couple magazines, and a few lenses in the bag and I have a Lowe Pro AW60 that attaches to the outside where my 20D body fits. This one isn't one that I'd recommend as a camera only bag, but it's a great bag that will fit camera equipment if you're like me and insist on carrying at least one lens and body in addition to your daily "whatever". And the Maxpedition stuff is nearly indestructable.

How did I find this thread? Because I'm stupid and I was looking for yet another camera bag. Someone shoot me before my wife does.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I just changed my travel bag to an Adorama "Pro Slinger".

Hey Ziggy,

How much gear can that "pro slinger" carry? Right now I am thinking of upgrading to the tamrac (I almost called it Tarmac...rolleyes1.gif) model that nightspidy uses. But the thing is, as I am plotting my hiking trip, I will be using a backpack like this. So it would be awkward to carry the Tamrac and that backpack.

I am almost very inclined to get that Tamrac..

Buying camera bags is just as bad as buying lenses and new camera bodies! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I use a Think Tank Speed Racer for daily assignment work. 2 bodies, 3 lenses, one flash. Great bag and fantastic customer service when I needed a buckle replaced.

The big bag is a big lowopro trekker of some model. I can put about 90 pounds of stuff in it, strap a tripod to the back and strap more stuff to it if needed. It is actually a well made and comfortable hiking bag. If I ahve to replace it I'll first look at what Think Tank makes.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 7, 2008
    Hey Ziggy,

How much gear can that "pro slinger" carry? ...

Sorry, I just noticed your question.

I currently carry:

Canon 40D
    Fuji F30 digicam
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter (works on the 50mm for close focus)
    Canon EF 1.4x II (works nicely on the 70-200)
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Sigma 500 DG Super flash
    Sunpak 383 Super flash
    Charger and spare battery.

I additionally might be able to get an XT/350D without lens into the bag if needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums