Options

The Apron of Juan Diego...........IR

PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
edited June 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
One from the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City

97033652.jpg

Little of the History, from Wikipedia

The name Basilica of Guadalupe (also Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in Spanish) may refer to one of the two churches built on top of Tepeyac hill, north of Mexico City. The site is nearby the place where it is said Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared in front of Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin. This site is also known as La Villa de Guadalupe.

The new Basilica is arguably the most important religious building in Mexico. It houses the original tilma (or apron) of Juan Diego that shows the icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Thus it is an important pilgrimage site and is visited by several million people every year, especially around December 12, Our Lady of Guadalupe's Feast day.

Shot with modded D70S, Thanks for looking.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Beautiful photo Panther. Love the deep and rich dark tones with the highlighted artwork. Was that done in post? Great POV and composition. Really leads the eye through the photo well. Congrats on a great photo. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Craig....very well done on this one.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Beautiful photo Panther. Love the deep and rich dark tones with the highlighted artwork. Was that done in post? Great POV and composition. Really leads the eye through the photo well. Congrats on a great photo. Thanks for sharing.
    Howdy Shatch,

Thanks very much for the kind reply.

Some of the darkness was brought in via PP, but the majority of it was
    due to the IR features of the image.

The Apron/Frock has an unbelievable history. I was priveledged to be informed of it's History before we went, so I really excited to see it. It dates back almost 400 years and for the first 300+ years is was virtually unprotected, not showing any signs of staining or wear. In the 70's a bomb was placed in the Chapel an when it exploded so many things were destroyed but the Tilma was unharmed.

More history here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Diego_Cuauhtlatoatzin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Craig....very well done on this one.

Tom
    Howdy Tom,

Thanks very much!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Ooooooh, I love the lighting and the gothic color scheme. It's just the right composition too. I would like to be closer to the image but that's just my curious nature. I feel like a little kid looking at a priceless piece of human history and it's just out of reach. Nice job!
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Forgive the similarity comment, but this looks like its right out of Batman! I love it thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Ooooooh, I love the lighting and the gothic color scheme. It's just the right composition too. I would like to be closer to the image but that's just my curious nature. I feel like a little kid looking at a priceless piece of human history and it's just out of reach. Nice job!

Thanks, It's kind of an interesting story, they actually have 3-4 moving walkways, like in the airports although only about 30-40 feet long, that you step on an it moves you in front of the Shrine. I guess they have done this to help with "Crowd Control" it was kind of weird shooting while moving and having to watch our step as we got to the end. You can go back and forth several times but the Guard wasn't pleased when folks just stopped after they got off:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    Forgive the similarity comment, but this looks like its right out of Batman! I love it thumb.gif

Thanks Very much Pezpic.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas