Yosemite Tunnel View (Pano HDR)

Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Landscapes
I was in Yosemite the 3rd week in May and I took a lot of shots. I'm not really a landscape guy, but I was happy with this result of a 4 Shot Pano of the "Tunnel View". This is also an HDR image using 3 exposures at each of the 4 Pano positions. HDR was done using Photomatix, Stitching was done using Arcsoft. I believe that I had a Split ND filter on as well as maybe a CP. So other than cropping, what do you think? I left it uncropped so it could be printed in many different ratios.
309142674_jtYUH-L.jpg

Comments

• dieterdieter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Great shot! The sky, the time of day and the mood all go together to make a very pleasing shot of one of the most beautiful places on earth.

For not being a "Landscape Guy" you did a wonderful job, you might even consider doing more landscapes in the future.
    Tom
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with dieter here. PLEASE it'd be a crime if you stopped shooting landscapes now. Excellent job merging exposures, as there is still a lot of light and a lot of detailed shadows. thumb.gif

I love the crop as well.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Thank you for the kind words. But I'd have to admit that Yosemite did most of the work. I was just at the right place and time, with a bit of knowledge gained from the posts here on dgrin. Coming from Iowa, Yosemite was breath taking. It was just amazing to see so many beautiful views in such a small valley. Here are a few more from my Yosemite collection.

Half Dome from Glacier Point
    309137626_uh5q9-L.jpg

Mirror Lake
    309141060_aagVS-L.jpg
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I have seen a lot of pictues of Yosemite. None any better than these. Breathtaking.
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Simply amazing. Then I saw halfdome. I've never seen it look like that, which is amazing being that's one of the most photographed landmarks in the world.

Fantastic.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    While I like the shots of Half Dome and Mount Watkins, I don't care for the halos of the last two. I guess I'm over picky because Yosemite is my second home! iloveyou.gif
  • kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Does the name Ansel Adams mean anything to you?

It should.

Great pix and very nicely done PP.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif with dieter here. PLEASE it'd be a crime if you stopped shooting landscapes now. Excellent job merging exposures, as there is still a lot of light and a lot of detailed shadows. thumb.gif

I love the crop as well.

15524779-Ti.gif Quite the shots. I must work harder to get as nice. :D
    Michael
    edited June 6, 2008
    Thanks again for the compliments. I hope to go back some day to make some improvements with what I have already learned since my trip.

Hikin Mike: I do see the halo on the Half Dome pic, I will try to reprocess the HDR and see if I can remove that a bit more. Some of it is the result of the Split ND filter darkening the sky a bit too much. I think I learned that you may not need it when you can do HDR. But are you saying that you see a halo in the Mirror lake pic as well? I'm not seeing that one. Also, I saw a store in in one of the towns outside the Park, Merced I think, that was called Hikin' Mike's, was that your store. Your Yosemite pics are amazing so I appreciate you praise and critiques.
  • dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    That Mirror Lake shot is breathtaking, the way the light is hitting the cliff face in the background is perfect.

bowdown.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    I was in Yosemite the 3rd week in May and I took a lot of shots. I'm not really a landscape guy, but I was happy with this result of a 4 Shot Pano of the "Tunnel View". This is also an HDR image using 3 exposures at each of the 4 Pano positions. HDR was done using Photomatix, Stitching was done using Arcsoft. I believe that I had a Split ND filter on as well as maybe a CP. So other than cropping, what do you think? I left it uncropped so it could be printed in many different ratios.
    Nice work, feels like a painting! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I love the first one! clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    O man wow amazing photographs
    1st one looks like image of hollywood movie
    clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    Thanks again for the compliments. I hope to go back some day to make some improvements with what I have already learned since my trip.

Hikin Mike: I do see the halo on the Half Dome pic, I will try to reprocess the HDR and see if I can remove that a bit more. Some of it is the result of the Split ND filter darkening the sky a bit too much. I think I learned that you may not need it when you can do HDR. But are you saying that you see a halo in the Mirror lake pic as well? I'm not seeing that one. Also, I saw a store in in one of the towns outside the Park, Merced I think, that was called Hikin' Mike's, was that your store. Your Yosemite pics are amazing so I appreciate you praise and critiques.

Maybe "Mountain Mike's" pizza in Merced, but I don't have my own store!

The last photo (Mount Watkins/Mirrow Lake) doesn't have too many haloes, but the sky has that 'HDR Gray' look to it. I'd maybe try blending two or more exposures together. I did that with my own Mount Watkins las year. Here's the photo.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Tunnel view is a great shot but I would lighten up the upper portion of the sky. It's too dark from the Split ND but I think you already knew that. The clouds look a little funny, especially in the upper left hand corner. It looks like photomatix may have doubled up the clouds from the mulitiple exposures but it's hard to tell at this size. Great work on that image. For being an HDR it still looks very realistic which can be hard to do. I've never been there so I can only imagine how breathtaking it is in person.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited June 6, 2008
    Maybe "Mountain Mike's" pizza in Merced, but I don't have my own store!

The last photo (Mount Watkins/Mirrow Lake) doesn't have too many haloes, but the sky has that 'HDR Gray' look to it. I'd maybe try blending two or more exposures together. I did that with my own Mount Watkins las year. Here's the photo.

Wow!!, your's is awesome. That reflection is perfection.bowdown.gif
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Wonderful capture! I can almost smell that fresh pine scent there thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    All are breathtakingbowdown.gifthumb.gif , #1 is my favoriteclap.gifclap.gif great job!
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Amazing shot! Regardless that it seems to be taken from an overshot location it looks absolutely stunning, great job !
    thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Simply gorgeous! thumb.gif

:jawdrop
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    They are very nice, I like the first and the last one the best.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Just Beautiful!!!!

Eia
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks so much for the compliments. Its great to see these pics still getting attention. It makes me proud.