Canon 40D purchase

DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in Cameras
In a few hours I'll be making the purchase of a Canon 40D. Currently own a Rebel XT.

Not looking to break the bank, I don't want to go above the 1400 mark and the lesser the better with the wife.
1) 40D with 28-135 lens
2) 40D with 17-85 lens
3) 40D body with a 18-200 Tamron lens (not the greatest but no biggie)
4) 40D with POSTER suggestion

Currently own a Sigma 70-300

The 18-55 that came with the XT will be leaving with the XT. But I can probably use it if I ever need or want to, since I'm giving the camera to my brother.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    A Canon 40D and a Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II go very well together and provide a standard zoom capability. Along with your Sigma 70-300mm, f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro (I presume), that gives you a pretty good 2 lens kit. If you use the Sigma at 70mm and f5.6 though 200mm and f8 it's pretty good quality. Beyond 200mm I suspect you will find the lens softens somewhat.

I also highly recommend an external flash, if you don't have one already. Used properly, a flash can make a drantic improvement in image quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    The 28-135 IS that comes in the kit is a really nice lens. I was very impressed with it. I sold it off as I didnt need it, but I recommended it to two relatives, and they both enjoy it. Its a good deal in the kit, and they sell fairly quickly here on the Flea Market
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I don't know your shooting habits, but EF-S 17-85 IS USM was my workhorse for almost two years (with 20D and 30D then) untill I replaced it with 17-55/2.8.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A Canon 40D and a Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II go very well together and provide a standard zoom capability. Along with your Sigma 70-300mm, f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro (I presume), that gives you a pretty good 2 lens kit. If you use the Sigma at 70mm and f5.6 though 200mm and f8 it's pretty good quality. Beyond 200mm I suspect you will find the lens softens somewhat.

I also highly recommend an external flash, if you don't have one already. Used properly, a flash can make a drantic improvement in image quality.

Well... thus far you're the 2nd person that mentioned the tamron 17-50

As for the flash, I have the Canon 480ex, which was a great purchase. And you're correcton the Sigma with extending beyone 200mm and what it is. thumb.gif

Thanks for the info!
    david
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    Well... thus far you're the 2nd person that mentioned the tamron 17-50

As for the flash, I have the Canon 480ex, which was a great purchase. And you're correcton the Sigma with extending beyone 200mm and what it is. thumb.gif

Thanks for the info!
    david

I have spent a lot of time on this forum asking about glass and reading any thread on it. the 17 to 55 2.8 IS seems to percolate to the top. It is not L but it is 2.8 IS and a good zoom range.
    edited June 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I have spent a lot of time on this forum asking about glass and reading any thread on it. the 17 to 55 2.8 IS seems to percolate to the top. It is not L but it is 2.8 IS and a good zoom range.
    Josh, 17-55/2.8 is almost a grand by itself, and the whole budget is under $1,400:-)
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Josh, 17-55/2.8 is almost a grand by itself, and the whole budget is under $1,400:-)

which is why I settled for a 50 mm 1.4 prime for now. Very sharp. Very fast. no zoom $300
    edited June 6, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Actually it was $1,376.65 :D Should be here in 3 to 5 business days.
    edited June 6, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    Congrats! So, whatchagot? mwink.gif
  • keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    DJT wrote:

What was 1376? I ordered mine about 2 months ago for $999.95 shipped...
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
    edited June 6, 2008
    What I got for 1376.

Canon 40D body and the Tamron 17-50 2.8

And the Rebel XT Kit will be given to my brother for his late birthday present.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Isn't buying new camera gear a rush? A rush in excitement knowing you got more spiffy gear and a rush to emptying the bank acct! rolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new buy!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited June 6, 2008
    Isn't buying new camera gear a rush? A rush in excitement knowing you got more spiffy gear and a rush to emptying the bank acct! rolleyes1.gif

Congrats on the new buy!

Yeah, it's a rush alright. Rush here and there to see where the money is at or where it's gonna come from to pay for it.

Bank account was already empty thanks to United Airlines. :cry
    Yeah... I order it and the wife has a meeting today at the factory. Hopefully it's a good meeting and not a "we're moving to _____, thanks for your service" meeting.
  • twhite14twhite14 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    I just got my 40D with the 18-135 lens yesterday and it is awesome! I was upgrading from a Rebel and have the Canon 70-300 lens already. The 18-135 is my first IS lens, and it makes a real differnce compared to the 18-55 kit lens with the Rebel.

For what it is worth, check out BH, the entire package was ~$1150. Well under your price range.
    edited June 10, 2008
    Just got it about 1 1/2 hours ago! YEAH! headscratch.gif Took me a few extra seconds to find the on and off and now to figure out how to use it, sooo use to the XT and where the buttons and settings are. Can't wait to go home tonight and do some serious playing with it wings.gif

Ziggy - for the most part in my lil time to play with it, I'm happy with the lens thus far (Tamron 17-50). I was wrong about my Sigma I own. It's a 70-200 (not 70-300).

I'm sure my bro will like his new/used Rebel XT that he'll be getting as a surprise belated B-day gift! Tho he likes my Sigma lens, he can go get his own!
  • ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    DJT, this is Ugly. Congrats on the new purchase.
    www.nathantpham.com (your comments and suggestions are welcomed)
    edited June 11, 2008
    Reign wrote:
    DJT, this is Ugly. Congrats on the new purchase.

Welcome to DGrin! and thanks! thumb.gif
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I am interested in purchasing a canon 40D. What is the deal with some of the prices being rediculously lower than others on this camera body?
    $499.00 http://www.pricingdepot.com/compare.asp?item=1901B004
    $479.00 http://www.thecameraprofessionals.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=276308&gclid=COLI5KaNkpMCFQG5PAodCmT0Fw
    $549.00 http://soniccameras.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=757_1241&products_id=4554&osCsid=39b5f23aaca90eb1df228b2a590c746b

are these legit? Or is there something I am missing?
    I was always a believer of, if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is, but I see many 40D's out there at this price range!
    -Kevin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    kwcrow wrote:
    I am interested in purchasing a canon 40D. What is the deal with some of the prices being rediculously lower than others on this camera body?
    are these legit? Or is there something I am missing?
    I was always a believer of, if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is, but I see many 40D's out there at this price range!
    -Kevin

Start here. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Here is another good place to start looking. I've already done the work on these that you have listed

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TheCameraProfessionals --- 0.56/10
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras --- 1.28/10

The first one didn't even have an entry - could be the URL is so new that complaints have not yet had a chance to accumulate?
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Here is another good place to start looking. I've already done the work on these that you have listed

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TheCameraProfessionals --- 0.56/10
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras --- 1.28/10

The first one didn't even have an entry - could be the URL is so new that complaints have not yet had a chance to accumulate?

Thanks Scott,
    It's amazing what a ridiculously low price on something you want really badly will cause people to do. I will stick with companies like B&H and Newegg to avoid the headaches.
    -Kevin
    edited June 13, 2008
    Back in 2003 I ordered a Sony F717 from camera4u or something like that.... Yep...... it was a scam.

Camera didn't come in the mail when it was suppose to. I paid the extra fast shipping fee.

Called and while trying to find my order they tried to sell me extra batteries, sticks, bag, etc....

Was placed on hold for a manager and someone else picked it up and tried to sell me all the same stuff.

Turns out that the camera I ordered wasn't on sale anymore and I can have it at regular price. headscratch.gif But I argued because the price on the website. So I was put on hold. Next guy told me they sold all of them and I could have a "grey market" one at the sale price.

I canceled my order and placed a complaint with the BBB. Laughing.gif - I was number 150+ with a complaint.