The Washington Monument

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited June 6, 2008 in Landscapes
A few weeks ago my inlaws had tickets to go to the top of the Washington Monument in DC. We stood in line for about 15 min or so, and while waiting I we took some pictures. The ones from out of the windows didn't turn out so well due to the massive amount of forehead/hair grease on them... oh well.

Here's what I ended up with, C&C always welcomed.

Event Horizon
307996987_dJR7H-XL-1.jpg

Monumental Obelisk
307997258_sqpB9-XL-1.jpg

Schmoo for Scale
307997115_PDFRK-XL-1.jpg

Stars and Stripes
307997168_KxiyU-XL-1.jpg

The Snake's Eye (from the short story "<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers_(short_stories)#.22Dogfight.22">Dogfight</a>&quot; by William Gibson)
307997066_eAoUt-L.jpg
Travis

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    very nice.

we just toured. DC. one bus driver said he had a kid ask, "how do you get all those flags to go in the same direction?"

Great pictures. we have all seen pics a million times of this monument. These are different.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    The ones from out of the windows didn't turn out so well due to the massive amount of forehead/hair grease on them... oh well.

I didn't take any photos out of those gross windows because I didn't want to remember that detail of the day. It's a hypochondriac's nightmare. Thanks! lol3.gif

One of the things I always seem to forget is that DC and its monuments are chock full o' abstract landscape potential. It's hard to "see" that sometimes on a busy weekend with thousands of tourists milling around. But your shots go right down this path and they look great. :smo

Oh and, regarding shot #1... I wondered what you were doing at the time.