Options

Question about Canon glass for DSLR use

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Cameras
Hi,

I'm finally getting ready to upgrade from my Powershot G3 to a DSLR. Still not sure which one but I'm waiting to see the Rebel XT, 20D and N70s before I make up my mind. Might even look at a used D1X or Pro S2 if the price is right.

If I go with the Canon cameras I have a few lens but heard they you need to use digital only lens for Canon DSLRs. Would this mean my 50mm 1.4, and my 100-300mm 5.6 can not work correctly on the smaller DSLR sensor? I really love the 50mm on my film camera. :)

If the film lens do not work with the DSLR then it's not a huge loss. I needed an ultra wide angle any ways.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    If I go with the Canon cameras I have a few lens but heard they you need to use digital only lens for Canon DSLRs.

Rubbish.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    your 50 f/1.4 will work great, i use it all the time on my 20d. any ef lens mount will work on canon dslrs.

cheers

andy
    Hi,

I'm finally getting ready to upgrade from my Powershot G3 to a DSLR. Still not sure which one but I'm waiting to see the Rebel XT, 20D and N70s before I make up my mind. Might even look at a used D1X or Pro S2 if the price is right.

If I go with the Canon cameras I have a few lens but heard they you need to use digital only lens for Canon DSLRs. Would this mean my 50mm 1.4, and my 100-300mm 5.6 can not work correctly on the smaller DSLR sensor? I really love the 50mm on my film camera. :)

If the film lens do not work with the DSLR then it's not a huge loss. I needed an ultra wide angle any ways.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Thanks for the answers, very glad to hear the lens will work with the DSLR!

Thanks again,
    Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    A very little-known fact: if you're shooting people with a light source that puts out a lot of near-infrared light (tungsten lights indoors, on-board flash), most Canon lenses will make fair caucasions look sunburned.

Film wasn't sensitive to near-infrared but digital cameras are, especially Canons because they use CMOS sensors. Many an anguished wedding photographer has shot a wedding with their spiffy new MKII only to have the bride hate the way her skin looks.

One solution is to use the 24-70mm L glass, which has an anti-infrared coating, enough to keep red areas of skin from going nuclear.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    A very little-known fact: if you're shooting people with a light source that puts out a lot of near-infrared light (tungsten lights indoors, on-board flash), most Canon lenses will make fair caucasions look sunburned.

Film wasn't sensitive to near-infrared but digital cameras are, especially Canons because they use CMOS sensors. Many an anguished wedding photographer has shot a wedding with their spiffy new MKII only to have the bride hate the way her skin looks.

One solution is to use the 24-70mm L glass, which has an anti-infrared coating, enough to keep red areas of skin from going nuclear.
    Good to know!thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Is this easy to correct in either RAW/PS processing baldy ? IE temp settings.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Is this easy to correct in either RAW/PS processing baldy ? IE temp settings.
    Very easily taken care of in RAW processing.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Very interesting, Baldy. One wonders why they'd continue to make a flash that has that kind of a problem.

Rob, I think what you're hearing about has to do with the new line of lenses that Canon is coming out with, that will only fit the 300D Digital Rebel and the Digital Rebel XT/350D.

However, your old Canon lenses will fit any body, including the 300D and the XT.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au