Options

Lost the smbuttons when logged in with IE but not FF

jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
For some reason I no longer have the smbuttons when I login with IE6 but not FF. Therefore I can't edit text etc using IE because there are no bottons to save/cancel the edits. Has anyone also encountered this? Sure would like to get those buttons back!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    For some reason I no longer have the smbuttons when I login with IE6 but not FF. Therefore I can't edit text etc using IE because there are no bottons to save/cancel the edits. Has anyone also encountered this? Sure would like to get those buttons back!

Here's what is happening. The company I work for uses group policies on Windows to disallow the use of ActiveX controls in IE, and that setting is locked down so I can't change it. When I use a laptop from work to login, the smbuttons do not appear (and I get a warning about ActiveX controls, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together). When I use a personal workstation, the smbuttons appear just fine.

Help me understand -- what is it about the smbuttons that uses ActiveX controls? Is it possible to implement that functionality without ActiveX controls?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Help me understand -- what is it about the smbuttons that uses ActiveX controls? Is it possible to implement that functionality without ActiveX controls?
    'tis not activeX that's doing it to you, it's that the buttons are pngs (for the theme you are using). If you switched default themes, for example,to Gradient Grey, I bet you'll see the buttons even at your work.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    'tis not activeX that's doing it to you, it's that the buttons are pngs (for the theme you are using). If you switched default themes, for example,to Gradient Grey, I bet you'll see the buttons even at your work.

I just tried a quick experiment on IE on my home workstation. Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> "Internet" zone -> Custom Level -> ActiveX Controls and Plug-ins -> Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins -> set to "disable", then login. Here's a screen shot (attached ActiveX-SmugMug-Login.JPG ) of the result, and it's the same as the result I get on my work laptop with that setting. At work I can't re-enable the setting. On my home workstation if I switch back to "enabled" then the buttons appear again.

As for changing the theme, that's not deisrable. I've spent many many hours customizing using SmugMug Gradient and that's the theme I'd like to continue to use. Isn't that the theme you use? If it was PNGs causing the problem, then we'd have the condition regardless of the ActiveX setting. I'm thinking there must be something else going on with those buttons. Maybe it has to do with Plug-ins. I thought I noticed somewhere that the buttons have something to do with Flash.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Erin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Those buttons have nothing to do with flash, only the play slideshow button does.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Try this in your IE6

There is a setting in IE6 that disabled PNG images:

96216526-L-1.jpg

Tools > Options > Security > Custom Leve

Binary and Script Behaviors: Disabled

That turns them off (along with other ActiveX things) - enabling that
    will turn them back on.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    I resolved this problem. It had nothing to do with ActiveX, the group policies of the company I work for, or PNG files.

It has to do with the behavior of the "default theme" settings and the SmugMug Gradient theme.

All along I have been trying to use the "default" as my theme. I assumed the "default" is SmugMug Gradient.

As far as I know, there are three standard places to specify default themes when you're logged in.
    1) Homepage -> Themes
    2) Control Panel -> Customize -> 'All pages' theme
    3) Customize Gallery, Look & Feel -> Theme (specified separately for each Gallery)

When you first sign up, all of those values are set to "default", and the look and feel that you get seems to be SmugMug Dashed. Not SmugMug Gradient.

I really like the look and feel of SmugMug Gradient, and that what I am trying to accomplish on my site.

When I noticed that the "default" theme was not SmugMug Gradient, I changed:
    1) Homepage -> Themes
    to SmugMug Gradient, and for the most part was happy.

But then as I started to expand my site and add more pages, and I noticed that the theme was not carrying over to some of the newer pages. I couldn't explain why. I looked at and used Andy's moonriverphotography as a model as it seems to be implementing SmugMug Gradient successfully.

A big difference I noticed between my customizations and Andy's was that Andy has "@import url(http://www.moonriverphotography.com/include/css/pureSmugBlack-20080603113650-Moz-Other-stretch.css);" at the top of his CSS section and I didn't.

So I tried it. I added "@import url(http://www.nikiwalkerphotography.com/include/css/pureSmugBlack-20080603113650-Moz-Other-stretch.css);" to the top of my CSS section, and the results were better. Now all pages appeared to have the SmugMug Gradient theme.

A few days later, I thought that since I have imported SmugMug Gradient's style sheet, why do I need to specify SmugMug Gradient as a default? So I changed:
    1) Homepage -> Themes
    back to "default", and for the most part was happy.

Then I noticed that just in IE6, all of the smbuttons "disappeared" except for the "Slideshow" button, both when logged-in or not. That's the issue I reported in this thread.

To solve the problem, I set:
    to SmugMug Gradient, and all of the smbuttons reappeared, both when logged-in or not.

To troubleshoot, I removed ALL of my Customization Settings, then copied Andy's CSS section to mine. I still had the missing smbuttons. That proved to me that it wasn't anything to do with my customization. Then I went into a gallery and changed the theme to SmugMug Gradient, and the smbuttons for that gallery reappeared! Finally I tried changing the 'All pages' theme to SmugMug Gradient and reset the gallery theme to "default". Then all of my galleries once again displayed the smbuttons.

So where I am now is that I restored all of my Customization Settings, including the @import, and have the 'All pages' theme set to SmugMug Gradient. Everything seems to be working as expected.

I think this demonstrates that there is a bug of some sort in the default theme behavior. We shouldn't have to import the pureSmugBlack style sheet into our CSS section to have the SmugMug Gradient theme applied consistently across all pages. There's a dnager to doing so because I won't automatically get changes that you (SmugMug) make to it unless I change the @import statement. I'm also wondering why SmugMug Gradient is apparently not the default theme out of the box.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Lost the smbuttons in IE again
    I lost the smbuttons again when logged in with IE but not FF. Everything was working fine this past afternoon (6/27/08), then later this past same evening the smbuttons disappeared when logged in with IE.

My current setting when loggedIn are:
    hompage Themes = default
    control panel 'all pages' Theme = SmugMug Gradient
    no @import statements in my CSS section

I've had these same setting all week, and had the smbuttons in IE up until later this past afternoon.

When I 'edit CSS' with Webdev, I notice that the css' appear to have been updated on 6/27. Could this have something to do with the missing smbuttons.

Please help. Thanks.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    I lost the smbuttons again when logged in with IE but not FF. Everything was working fine this past afternoon (6/27/08), then later this past same evening the smbuttons disappeared when logged in with IE.

My current setting when loggedIn are:
    hompage Themes = default
    control panel 'all pages' Theme = SmugMug Gradient
    no @import statements in my CSS section

I've had these same setting all week, and had the smbuttons in IE up until later this past afternoon.

When I 'edit CSS' with Webdev, I notice that the css' appear to have been updated on 6/27. Could this have something to do with the missing smbuttons.

Please help. Thanks.

I just sent off an email to the engineers and asked them to take a look. Looks to be theme related.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=860399&postcount=4
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    richW wrote:
    I just sent off an email to the engineers and asked them to take a look. Looks to be theme related.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=860399&postcount=4

Looks like others are having same/similar problem. I just checked and still no smbuttons in IE.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    This issue seems to be resolved.