A Place Called "palawan"

joelhgarciajoelhgarcia Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi everybody, im quite new to this forum. I would like to share my photos and hope i could learn from the experts here in Digital Grin.

All shot taken in Palawan Philippines.

Vertical Horizon
2510942270_a9e203dce2_o.jpg

Comments

• joelhgarciajoelhgarcia Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Hitech GND .09
    Hitech ND .09
    CPL

Through the storm
    2504961672_f45b3b9e9e_o.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    Seascapia
    2510255355_190e7c05a3_o.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    Cabana
    2512108585_5f31b618b4_o.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    Tiny World
    2512078567_9d681cf66b_o.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    Beach Shore
    2512128527_a55aecda6e_o.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    Pier

anchorforweb.jpg
    edited June 6, 2008
    VH2
    gatewaY.jpg?t=1212741899
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    All of these are beautiful! What a way to make an entrance on Dgrin. lol3.gif

I love your style, the soft light, soft water, myriad colors. Excellent work!

You can add multiple images to a single post if you're so organizationally inclined. :D One photo per post is only required for posting pics via attachments. deal.gif
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Very nice. I like the compositions and perspectives.

Thanks for posting and welcome. What an entrance!

David
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    I think the pier is my favorite but I love the colors in all the others also. nice work.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Very nice!!

Welcome to Dgrin.

Sam
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Welcome
    eek7.gif
    Amazing photos keep posting
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    These are so beautiful. I really love the pier shot.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Great work.

If you're looking to learn, then maybe slow down so that we can talk about a shot in depth.

On this one, I don't buy the purple sky with the cool-toned water. It seems that if one is warm, the other shouldn't be cool, or vice versa.

2510942270_a9e203dce2_o.jpg

I really like the pier shot, but I think that the foreground is lacking in contrast.

anchorforweb.jpg

This one could be so cool, but misses, compositionally. The cross and the man (?) are great elements. The bottom of the frame bothers me, where the sky hits the bottom of the frame. It breaks the image in two, awkwardly, I think. And it's all just a little too tight, denying me a sense of place in the shot.

2512078567_9d681cf66b_o.jpg

It's a beautiful place, and you've got some really nice shots there!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Awesome shots, really. Welcome to Dgrin!

DavidTO made some good points there, which I in all my enthusiasm wouldn't even have noticed. But I agree with him, especially on the first one. Something doesn't sit right with my eyes when looking at it and I think he pinpointed it well.

But again, beautiful work for sure! Love the gentleness and serenity radiating from these shots. My favorite is the last one you posted.

Greetings,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
    edited June 9, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    All of these are beautiful! What a way to make an entrance on Dgrin. lol3.gif

I love your style, the soft light, soft water, myriad colors. Excellent work!

You can add multiple images to a single post if you're so organizationally inclined. :D One photo per post is only required for posting pics via attachments. deal.gif

Hi Schmoo, thanks for the welcome and for the comments, but i have still more to learn about the craft.

About the multiple posting, sorry about that next time i'll follow your advise.

Thank you.
    edited June 9, 2008
    David,Foosion,Sam,Awais,Hamster & Salty Dog- I appreciate your comments and thanks!
    edited June 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Great work.

If you're looking to learn, then maybe slow down so that we can talk about a shot in depth.

On this one, I don't buy the purple sky with the cool-toned water. It seems that if one is warm, the other shouldn't be cool, or vice versa.

Hi David- First of all. i want to thank you for c&c of my photos, thanks for taking time to look at the images. For this one, i rely on Canon 40D Picture style "Emerald" so i let the camera toned the photo. But you have a point there, as for me i would like to look the photos as normal as it could be.

I really like the pier shot, but I think that the foreground is lacking in contrast.

My fave too! just wondering why in my monitor the contrast is enough.
    guess i need to recalibrate my monitor.

This one could be so cool, but misses, compositionally. The cross and the man (?) are great elements. The bottom of the frame bothers me, where the sky hits the bottom of the frame. It breaks the image in two, awkwardly, I think. And it's all just a little too tight, denying me a sense of place in the shot.

I like the way you check out the photo. My thoughts why i shoot this frame, i would love to include the bottom elements of the frame actually the right side is a Nipa Houses and the man is repairing the roof. My thought pattern is i like to capture the huge, gigantic proportion of the mountain plus the cross symbolize God, against us human who are small and weak. My concept was like that and if i add the bottom, like the houses and the bridge, the frame will be to crowded with unwanted elements, that will defeat to my concept. God and Human. But nevertheless, i like your comment for this one very straight forward.

It's a beautiful place, and you've got some really nice shots there!
    Hi David- you should visit the Philippines and have a great vacation! Thank you so much for visiting and commenting to the photos. I appreciate it.

Joel G.
    edited June 10, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I would like to ask how to you sharpen your photos for web posting?

from Hi-resolution then to web size?

I dont know if your familiar with Marc Adamus sharpening technique.

from Hiresolution i resize it as double of my web size width which is 800

so from hires size i resize it to 1600 then double sharpen blend mode luminosity then mask it i only sharpen rocks and mountains the water and sky was not sharpen. then resize to 800 or 900 for web size.

Can you give me tips? how to pop the elements after sharpening?

Joel G.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Very nice pics. Welcome to dgrin.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I would like to ask how to you sharpen your photos for web posting?

from Hi-resolution then to web size?

I dont know if your familiar with Marc Adamus sharpening technique.

from Hiresolution i resize it as double of my web size width which is 800

so from hires size i resize it to 1600 then double sharpen blend mode luminosity then mask it i only sharpen rocks and mountains the water and sky was not sharpen. then resize to 800 or 900 for web size.

Can you give me tips? how to pop the elements after sharpening?

Joel G.
    Hi again Joel, I love your attitude towards photography and learning! thumb.gif

If you haven't already, Dgrin has a gallery of user-donated tutorials for shooting and processing, linked in the navbar above. There is some info on sharpening and making your image pop, which can be useful. Additionally, feel free to do a search in the Finishing School forum, for all the gurus there know their stuff. :D
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Great images. I love the colors. #2 is my favorite thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Very very nice shots. I love the pier image. mwink.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Wow, I love the colors of the sky and water in these, very serene! The compositions are great as well, you're doing Palawan proud, looking forward to more!