Options

Some "Naughty" Photos.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited June 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Well, nautical, anyway. :D

I love wood boats! The wood, the chrome (or brass), the varnish! Love them!!

Traveling requires stopping. I saw this 1960 Century Coronado as I was driving into the Lebec, CA, rest area. (I dated it with this site. It'll give you some bow shots that I missed. Check out the grill! (Seen later.))
Century-on-trailer.jpg

The rig beside it pulled out and I took its spot. I walked to the door of the man hauling the boat, complimented him on it and asked if I could take some pictures. He looked mildly perturbed, but said I could. He kindly waited until I came back out from behind it and drove off. My guess is that he's getting ready to restore it.

Here are some others that I took.

Script on port side:
Century-Coronado-port.jpg

Aft starboard deck:
Cantury-Aft-Deck.jpg

Bow spotlight:
Century-lamp.jpg

Cockpit:
Century-instrument-panel.jpg

Aft deck cleat, fuel cap and flag pole base:
Century-aft-deck-anchor.jpg

Bow grill:
Century-grill.jpg

Thank you for viewing. C&C welcome.
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Lee....nice shots. I'm like you. I love these old wooden boats. There is a huge gathering of these old boats every year at Mt. Dora, FL. I go each year and spend the whole day just gawking at all the wonderful craft. This year they had over 300 boats show up. The show goes on for a couple of days. I was in hog heaven.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Lee....nice shots. I'm like you. I love these old wooden boats. There is a huge gathering of these old boats every year at Mt. Dora, FL. I go each year and spend the whole day just gawking at all the wonderful craft. This year they had over 300 boats show up. The show goes on for a couple of days. I was in hog heaven.

Tom

Thank you, Tom!

I'd love to see that!! My favorite wood powerboats are the 1957-'60 Chris Craft Continentals. Here are some great photos of a 21' 1958-'59. My absolute favorite is the '57.

Go to the bottom of this page to see a '60 with the retractable hardtop.

I once saw one with the hardtop behind a business in the Bay Area. I took pictures of it through the link wire fence. That was on film.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Lee....

The show in Mt. Dora is like the Superbowl to the antique boat crowd. They come from all over the country to this thing. They had so many show up this year that they had to use two different lakes to accommodate all the entrants.

There were about 100 to 125 boats for sale, as best as I could determine. A partner of mine has been in the market for a nice boat for about a year. While he didn't find one he wanted at the show, he did make contact with a seller who has one he wants that is in the final stages of a complete restoration. It is an old Chris Craft, I don't remember the year, that is 19 feet long and is referred to as a " barrel back ". I think that's the term he used. I was stunned at the price......$160,000......but some at the show were going for a lot more than that.

Seeing all that beautiful wood, brass, polished steel, etc. in one place gives you sensory overload.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.