Stitching the Scenery, UK & Mull

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited June 18, 2008 in Landscapes
Wales and Scotland have long been on my list of "travel desires before I die," and I was thrilled to have this opportunity (and excuse) to see what the UK had to offer outside London.

Packed into a car that was large enough to hold Jim, Kathy, me, and all our luggage, we very quickly learned it was nearly too large for the narrow roads, which were particularly terrifying in Wales. (Perhaps only to me, though, as I took the wheel at the outset ... and immediately made a wrong turn onto the tiniest road known to man. On the up side, it took us through the heart of Snowdownia. On the down, we had oncoming campers and trucks and no shoulder, only stone wall or cliff.)

We toured a few places before meandering our way slowly north to meet up with the rest of the gang in Glasgow and head to Mull.

Brecon Beacons was a twisty-turny drive littered with motorbikes zipping by our apparently-too-slow vehicle to careen around the corners.
308464864_dw7MR-XL.jpg

After touring Wales, we headed east toward Bath, but not before making a stop at the amazing Tintern Abbey. It is enough to inspire poetry--and has. :D The English major in me could not resist wanting to see what Wordsworth saw.
308469140_ddB3d-L.jpg

As we crossed into England, the sharp cuts of stone walls zigging across the countryside gradually faded into softer hedgerows. The abundant green became suddenly littered with patches of bright yellow that stood out sharply from the hillsides and seemed to glow in the sunlight, even in midday. We later learned these were fields of rapeseed.

308472367_PEoqt-XL.jpg

Then we were suddenly in Italy!

308465513_VrEAg-L.jpg

Well, not really, but it certainly felt like it. The Roman baths and architecture were such a stark contrast to the quaint cottages and farms we had been driving by the days before.

308466798_54XLS-XL.jpg

We moved along toward Salisbury to see the famous crooked cathedral.

308478337_ZVsRe-L.jpg

And made a detour to take in Stonehenge before finally turning northward.

308467738_i5CJC-XL.jpg

We sped through Manchester to avoid as much of the football craze that was occurring and spent extra time Windermere.

308489105_qGSnC-XL.jpg

After a week of driving around foreign roads, we were happy to drop the car in Glasgow and allow the fantastic guides for our group, Kevin and John, to tote us around Mull.

308468600_mtkim-L.JPG

308469847_QZ9Xb-L.jpg

One of my main goals for my photography growth this go 'round was pano stitching. I really wanted to come home with something I could print large and hang in my bedroom, so I made my first foray into stitching. All the above images are stitches. I was too excited to see how they would turn out, so I'm digging into those first for processing. :D

Thanks for looking! :thumb

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Truly awesome set, Kerry! Your panos rock! clap.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great series Kerry, you certainly had a great trip and captured it beautifully. I'm so glad you got to see so much of what Britain has to offer. Sounds as though you had some fun with the driving:yikes

Great stitches too, with so many wallhangers how will you choose?

Charlie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gif

w000p great set Kerry, and lovely stitch work!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Truly awesome set, Kerry! Your panos rock! clap.gif

Thank you! iloveyou.gif This makes me really happy, because it was my first real go at pano work--and I had none of the expert gear for it. Marc at one point told me I won the award for crappiest tripod on the trip. :giggle
    thebigsky wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great series Kerry, you certainly had a great trip and captured it beautifully. I'm so glad you got to see so much of what Britain has to offer. Sounds as though you had some fun with the driving:yikes

Great stitches too, with so many wallhangers how will you choose?

Charlie

Yes, "fun" with the driving. lol3.gif Once we hit the motorways heading north, it wasn't bad at all. It was the A roads in Wales that were most tricksy.

And thank you for the kind words. Hopefully I can make it back there to capture more, and perhaps swing by Bedfordshire. :D

Currently, "the print that most matches the color scheme in the room" is my theory. Though maybe I'll just emulate the SmugWalls and plaster away with floats. mwink.gif
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif

w000p great set Kerry, and lovely stitch work!

Thank you! iloveyou.gif

Next trip I'll be sure to bring more granola bars! :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 7, 2008
    Very Nice indeed.

The panos of Tintern Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral are my favorites!

What great time we had!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Beautiful pictures and good job stitching those panos. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Hope to see you again on another shoot. :D:D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Amazing stuff !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nice UK vision.
    I love visiting the UK there are always intersting things to take pictures of. I like your picture of Stone Henge, did you take it inside the area or outside the fence. I have one very simular but got sunrise behing it .(http://MunchkinPhotos.smugmug.com/photos/262396001_9DwPR-S.jpg) Another intersting place about an hour south is Avbury, great place to shoot stones and sheep.

Great pictures.
    edited June 7, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! Heather, I was inside the fence but outside those annoying ropes. :D Beautiful light in your image of Stonehenge.

A couple more I worked up today, including a by-now very familiar scene for those following the Mull threads:

309006995_Vbpzz-L.jpg

And (our first, I think?) sunset on the Isle:
    309008768_yUjmT-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Gorgeous work, Kerry! I have to say that I always enjoy the stuff that I see coming from you that's within your regular zone of comfort and it's great to see such different kind of work. I love how eager you were (are) to learn something new, and it's paying off. I adore the first shot - great sunspots and color and light. Wow!!

Keep them coming :D
    edited June 17, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Gorgeous work, Kerry! I have to say that I always enjoy the stuff that I see coming from you that's within your regular zone of comfort and it's great to see such different kind of work. I love how eager you were (are) to learn something new, and it's paying off. I adore the first shot - great sunspots and color and light. Wow!!

Keep them coming :D
    Thanks, schmoo! I spent a lot of time dodging and burning that first shot, and I was super proud of it. Thank you so much for the nice words about it! :D

Now, if I would stop neglecting my "zone of comfort" stuff because I dread adding more to my processing cue... :giggle

But more stitchery in the meantime!

315094062_8kVUp-XL.jpg

315095753_XivR3-XL.jpg

315097302_eVqze-XL.jpg

315101359_AjpuE-XL.jpg

315102313_kevPd-XL.jpg

315105701_KMAg4-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Kerry, glad to see that you've still got great photos from the workshop to share even as the weeks fly by. :D

I think you've got the hang of stitching. I can never quite slow down enough in the location itself to look at the view and decide what would make a good pano but you've done a great job creating nice lines and great compositions in the land and sky.

What PP techniques are you using for these? These have a distinct different flavor than your previous (classic Kerry!) work which was more muted and timeless. In particular these look heavier in the blues and blacks and are very surreal.

In particular I really love the composition and the story that is told in the last boat shot. Excellent!! thumb.gif
    edited June 18, 2008
    Thanks, schmoo! I tried to compose a stitch in every location--though some of them I've tossed because they just didn't work out as hoped. :D

My "classic" style is from a set of actions that really work better for my artsy and portraiture stuff. I did try using variations thereof for the landscapes, but they seemed to detract rather than lend themselves to "real life." The B&W Stonhenge shot using one of those actions, though. I still haven't decided whther I like it or not. headscratch.gif

The above have a few global tweaks made in Lightroom--like WOW's sky enhancer, contrast, and a bit of vibrance. In PS, I first run a Velvia action and then tone it down depending on each picture. Then I reset my black and white points. I then follow some of Vincent Versace's techniques and some of Marc's tips (though maybe a bit more heavily than he intended), using a series of curves layers to lighten some areas and darken others. I use a series of masks to paint in contrast.

So it's very different from my usual approach. Hopefully it's still effective, though! :D