Options

Star Trails

crashmastercrashmaster Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited June 7, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
3 hours worth of star trails from the very dark skies of Grandview Campground, Inyo National Forest, CA. Trees were slightly illuminated from a campfire. Canon 40D, 17-55 USM lens, F2.8, 30 second exposures, ISO 1600.

startrails1.jpg
Canon 40D
SBIG STL-11000
Alta U16M

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nice!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Cool! You've got a good take on the old idea :D

I like the trees in the frame, makes a nice comp thumb.gif
    Have you tried boosting the dark red from fire a bit?
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    I see you've found the North Star! I like the slight illumination of the trees: It adds depth.

Fantastic image!! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif......... azzaro
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Great work !!
    Still working on it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Did some curves adjustment to bring out some more stars and boost the illuminated trees, and updated the image at the beginning of the thread. I think its a little better. Thanks for the comments!
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Still a cool image, but I think I liked the first one better. I liked the subtleness of the trees being barely lit.

Looks like you caught a few planes or meteors; possibly a satellite, too. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    I think you are correct, the tree looked better barely illuminated. I'll work on it a bit more and find a happy medium. Thanks for the input!
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    I think you are correct, the tree looked better barely illuminated. I'll work on it a bit more and find a happy medium. Thanks for the input!

I'll admit I'm with ya there, I was thinking of a more subtle adjustment. Just enough to give a little glow.

Edit: looks like you updated the image while I wrote that. Looks good now thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    This is a wonderful piece. thumb.gif Gotta ask :D how many individual images
    did you use to put this together. 30 sec. images x 3 hours. headscratch.gif Thats
    a great deal of images. mwink.gif Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    This is a wonderful piece. thumb.gif Gotta ask :D how many individual images
    did you use to put this together. 30 sec. images x 3 hours. headscratch.gif Thats
    a great deal of images. mwink.gif Michael

Thanks Michael. Yes its a bunch of images. I shoot in Med jpeg, start with a fresh battery, and let it run until the battery runs out. Compiling the images is very easy using Chris Schur's star trails photoshop action.

http://www.schursastrophotography.com/software/photoshop/startrails.html
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M