I need some advise......

Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Cameras
I have two Pentax bodies. They have served me very well. One is a *ist DL. One is a K100D. I have 4 different Pentax lenses.

I shoot sports and portraits. I am itching to buy the K20D. When I shoot kids-- I some times like to crop alot. If I went with the K20 I think that would not be an issue.

Insight anyone???

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 7, 2008
    Rene` wrote:
    I have two Pentax bodies. They have served me very well. One is a *ist DL. One is a K100D. I have 4 different Pentax lenses.

I shoot sports and portraits. I am itching to buy the K20D. When I shoot kids-- I some times like to crop alot. If I went with the K20 I think that would not be an issue.

Insight anyone???

Cropping is sometimes unavoidable, but proper framing is always better. More pixels will allow potentially more extensive cropping, but at some point the image will still suffer.

If you are constantly finding yourself doing a lot of cropping down to small portions of the original image, you may need either a longer lens or better positioning relative to the action.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Cropping
    I have only been selling my work for two years, but it amazes me as to how mothers will buy a full body image them will also buy a face shot from the same picture. It happens all the time. Is it not true that moving up in Pixels will help me here????

ziggy53 wrote:
    Cropping is sometimes unavoidable, but proper framing is always better. More pixels will allow potentially more extensive cropping, but at some point the image will still suffer.

If you are constantly finding yourself doing a lot of cropping down to small portions of the original image, you may need either a longer lens or better positioning relative to the action.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 7, 2008
    Rene` wrote:
    I have only been selling my work for two years, but it amazes me as to how mothers will buy a full body image them will also buy a face shot from the same picture. It happens all the time. Is it not true that moving up in Pixels will help me here????

Just remember that accuracy of focus and lens sharpness will also impact your ability to crop.

You may be ultimately better off zooming in optically to form a better composition and taking another shot.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Should be better
    Considering that the K20D has 14+MPs vs. 6 MPs of your current cameras, this should enable you to enlarge the shots significantly. More importantly, the K20D should focus faster than the other two, if only because the battery is stronger. I find the SDM DA*50-135mm lens to focus a bit faster and much quieter than screw-driven lenses on my K10D. Your current camera bodies do not have SDM-function capability.

M