Lone Pine and Red Rock

endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Landscapes
300150040_V5pzj-XL.jpg

Comments

• saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    First of all (and you're certainly not the only one committing this "crime"), please don't post pics that big. I have to scroll vertical as well as horizontal to see all parts of it and therefore cannot view it in it's entirety, in which it is meant to be seen. At least not on my 17" monitor and I am sure I'm not the only one still using one of those... Makes it hard to critique, too.

As for your photo - I can see what you were going for with this, and the green contrasts nicely with the red. But, I am sorry, it doesn't really wrk for me. The picture is just "to busy", maybe a more shallow DOF would work better here. The texture in the rocks frazzles my eyes and makes me think everything is out of focus.

It is also too "in my face", I think a somewhat wider angle might help. Except for the color contrast, the tree and rock are not all that interesting to look at and aren't seperated enough to warrant such a close-up shot.

Well, that's just my 2 cents headscratch.gif.

Greetings,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    +1 with the 17" monitor! :D Not sure about the composition either. I think there's not enough contrst. The tree is lost in the rocks. Is this an HDR by chance?
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    +1 with the 17" monitor! :D Not sure about the composition either. I think there's not enough contrst. The tree is lost in the rocks. Is this an HDR by chance?

+3 about the large size. Only I am on a 15" laptop that makes it worse than theirs.

In fact, since I can't find a way to display photos smaller on this site I have this problem more often than not. I sure wish there was something to click on to display posted photos smaller in order to see the whole thing at once!

Jane

I do not intend this to be anything personal with the OP but a chance to air my problem sizewise.
  • museratomuserato Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    The pic is just the right size on a 19 inch at full rez.

I agree that while the idea is nice, it doesn't quite work out. The tree gets lost in the details of the wall. I taken quite a few like that myself. I ended up tossing them in favor of ones that had the tree against the sky.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    good image. how about a crop w/o the blue sky? This would focus my attention to the 2 subjects an the interesting play between rock formation/erosion and the growth of the tree. Maybe some selective screening of the green to add some color/light contrast with the red rock.

BTW: The size is fine for me on a 24" monitor but others...well...you've read the posts... :-)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    this is an amazing tree, a very photogenic young brut.
    also, i like the treatment for the pine you have done.
    Aaron Nelson
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    No problems here on my 24" screen :D

I like the tree and the foreground but agree the background is distracting. A different DOF would have helped give some more seperation and let the tree be the focul point.

Composition wise it would be more dynamic if the tree was not center but rather to one side or the other and we could see more sky and the top of the cliff on the right side.

The background seems over sharpened with all of the detail in the rocks and a sharp edge from the cliff to the sky on the left side.

The tree is really cool though!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion