Options

A Lot of Hiking, A Pot of Water, and A Tin Can

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in Journeys
Whew, it's been a long week or two! Last Monday Richard, myself, and my wife Tracy took off to walk our way in to the best climbing around and see if the snow was dried up yet. Archangel Valley is accessed by a road that gets gated off all winter, and is only opened once the snow recedes enough to prevent severe rutting. We parked our car and began a few hours of trudging to get to the climbs.

Tracy gives off a grin early on in the hike.tincan002.jpg

A couple miles in we encountered snow in the road, which slowed us down a bit, but wasn't impassable.
tincan003.jpg

Eventually it was time to put on the snowpants and gators. :rofl
tincan005.jpg

A glance back at the trail (circling around the base of the mountain on the right) and a bit of a glimpse at the amount of gear needed to combine camping AND climbing. :D
tincan006.jpg

The snow got a little deep up toward the end of the hike, which led to some nice wet shoes and grunting and panting.
tincan008.jpg

Our plan was to make it to one of the cabins in this valley and spend the night. The farthest cabin in is, of course, the most well-stocked and coziest, but with the snow rising by feet as we got higher we decided to call it good at the second cabin we reached, and hung our gear on the nails.
tincan009.jpg

This is when the trip turned from an ordinary camping and climbing trip to something I'll always remember. :D Before we started out, I had realized I forgot my fuel canister for my stove, and asked Richard to grab his. We pulled it out to piece the stove together and make dinner, and of course, Richard's canister doesn't fit my stove! DOH! So we're owned... stuck eating dry ramen noodles and M&Ms.

BUT WAIT! A couple of days ago a friend of mine showed me how to make a stove out of a pop can. It was a trick he'd found online and tested in his kitchen for no reason other than playing with fire indoors. At the time, I laughed and moved on, but now I remembered passing a discarded energy drink a few hundred yards back down the road. Doubtless left behind by one of the winter visitors to the valley, it was in perfect condition, so I brought it up to the cabin and tried to pull the stove design from my memories.:rofl

I learned later that I left out a certain key feature and therefore didn't get maximum efficiency from my stove, but I did manage to get enough heat to cook both dinner and breakfast and still bring some fuel home.
tincan010.jpg

tincan011.jpg

The next morning woke us with warm sunshine peeking in through the cabin's cracks. We decided to hit the rocks before breakfast, taking full advantage of the blue skies while they were still blue. Weather changes fast in Hatcher Pass.
tincan012.jpg

On the way to the rocks we were forced to improvise snowshoes, finding walking practically impossible. :D
tincan013.jpg

It was tough. :rofl
tincan015.jpg

But also fun at times!
tincan017.jpg

Finally we made it to what we came for. The rock was indeed dry, and the sun was warm, so we went for it and did a nice and gentle route.
tincan018.jpg

tincan019.jpg

The rest of the trip was relatively uneventful. Richard suddenly remembered he had to work that evening, so after finishing the climb, we crawled our way back to the cabin for breakfast, stopping only to leap from several tall boulders along the way. Then we trudged our way back out to the car.
tincan021.jpg

Hope you thoroughly enjoy! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    Hope you thoroughly enjoy! :D

Thoroughly! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thoroughly! deal.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Swift job on the can stove there. I could imagine you laughing about your own genius for hours after that ;)
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Your wife should be commended for climbing in a dress...real frontier woman that!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 11, 2008
    I'll have to file that can thing away...good idea. No, great idea.

We sometimes pack a couple of beers for somewhere in the middle of a trip.
    So we'd almost always have a can available.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I'll have to file that can thing away...good idea. No, great idea.

We sometimes pack a couple of beers for somewhere in the middle of a trip.
    So we'd almost always have a can available.

A quick search shows some really good instructions on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove Too bad I didn't get it exactly right, it looks like it can actually be done really well! :D Thanks for the comments guys!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    LwilliamsLwilliams Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2008
    well photographed adventure. thumb.gif

this was a two week hike was it? looks like you had an excellent time.
    Les
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    omg that looks absolutely beautiful!! what great shots thumb.gif

i love her style... climbing in a dress :D
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."