Options

A couple of B&W

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I've been experimenting with various B&W conversion techniques and would like you opinions as to how these appear. Any suggestions for improvement would be welcome.
Thanks

307419366_f459V-L.jpg

309176155_CseRU-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Jack....

I like the first shot. the second one doesn't hold much for me....I think it's the subject matter more than the effect. Glad to see you trying new approaches. I need to do the same thing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Jack....

I like the first shot. the second one doesn't hold much for me....I think it's the subject matter more than the effect. Glad to see you trying new approaches. I need to do the same thing.

Tom
    Yeah I'm kind of ambivalent toward #2 as well. The original color image was shot when I first got my DSLR and really had no clue about things like white balance etc. Plus the day was pretty dreary as I recall. It is so washed out I thought B&W might improve it. rolleyes1.gif

Here's the original if anyone would would like to download it and do their own conversion. If it comes out good please post it here along with a brief account of your technique.

309326150_TrVJW-L.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Yeah I'm kind of ambivalent toward #2 as well. The original color image was shot when I first got my DSLR and really had no clue about things like white balance etc. Plus the day was pretty dreary as I recall. It is so washed out I thought B&W might improve it. rolleyes1.gif

Here's the original if anyone would would like to download it and do their own conversion. If it comes out good please post it here along with a brief account of your technique.

309326150_TrVJW-L.jpg

I like the color version much better, it gets my eye bouncing about and going "ooo the colours!"
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Jack I liked your version of the BW on this photo, but you asked for someone to play with it so I couldn't refuse the "try it" :D

I messed alittle with the curves and selective color in Black and Red. Then I did a little Gradient fill over the water...just a faint tad. Darkened the shadows of the rocks...some contrast and that was it. I didn't know if you had done any sharpening on this, but I didn't.

I'm not good at BW, but love to play with it :D