Options

The bolt that ruined my evening...(lightning)

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited June 14, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This big nasty guy took out my power last night for a full 6 hours when it was 90+ degrees outside and like 80% humidity.

Suffice it to say it was an unfun evening. I slowly listened as each of my backup batteries screamed their beepy death knells as each died going beyond the expected downtime(I am a geek, yes.)

So I saw the storm was coming, I setup on a tripod and set my 5D to snap repeatedly at 2 second long exposures. This is the actual bolt that took out the power.

309256535_jhrgo-L-1.jpg

here's a detail-enhanced version:

309256609_ijnS4-L-1.jpg

It was a very very long night, i didn't get to sleep until around 4am.
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Great capture. My house took a direct hit a couple of years ago.....cost the insurance co. $10,000. I now have a whole-house protection system but I sometimes wonder if it can really stand up to a direct hit.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Thanks,

I'm guessing this should have gone in landscapes... it can be moved if a mod so feels inclined.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Thanks,

I'm guessing this should have gone in landscapes... it can be moved if a mod so feels inclined.

Nope. I think it's definitely a "cool shot" and belongs here. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Nope. I think it's definitely a "cool shot" and belongs here. thumb.gifthumb

15524779-Ti.gif Have to say I like the non PP'd version best. Best details to the
    main bolt and I can reference easily with the house and how you were
    inside snapping away waiting for the BIG ONE. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Have to say I like the non PP'd version best. Best details to the
    main bolt and I can reference easily with the house and how you were
    inside snapping away waiting for the BIG ONE. :D

I'd say you got the big one, DI-Joe! clap.gif I also prefer the original image, although both are awesome! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Yikes! thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I was going to try this but now i'm thinking that maybe Mr. Lightning doesn't like to have his picture took?:D
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks all for the comments. Check out how the rest of my night was in this post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96243
    Modus Imagery
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Don't mean to "steal" the post by any means - and my pictures look so shameful next to yours, Laughing.gif. But... I'll hang my head and share mine, if you don't mind! We had quite the light show last night as well, but our power remained and all was good. Sorry to hear about your evening, but what a wonderful shot!
    311628883_gdC4V-L-1.jpg

311629582_PKvDE-L-1.jpg

Your shots are definitely COOL!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Don't mean to "steal" the post by any means - and my pictures look so shameful next to yours, Laughing.gif. But... I'll hang my head and share mine, if you don't mind! We had quite the light show last night as well, but our power remained and all was good. Sorry to hear about your evening, but what a wonderful shot!
    311628883_gdC4V-L-1.jpg

311629582_PKvDE-L-1.jpg

Your shots are definitely COOL!

Yours aren't bad either! I like how contrasty your clouds are. My bolt is right at the front of the storm so you can still see blue sky behind it. Kind of unique.
    Modus Imagery
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I hate mwink.gif t-storms but love all the pics.thumb.gif