there has to be an easy way to organize galleries!

tj27tj27 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I am a new smugmug user and I am perplexed with organizing my galleries. I usually have no trouble with software so this is frustrating. :scratch Here's the scoop...

I want to sort my photos by year/month/activity. Just like I have them on my computer:

2002>July>trip to Mackinac
2002>July>Elsie's birthday
2002>October>Pumpkin Patch

I'm not a professional photog by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just a picture taking mom who wants to have her photos safely backed up and to be able to share them with rellies. It seems my only option is to identify my galleries with individual names and add the "categories"... so then I would have to search through every single "travel" notated gallery to find the trip I know happened in July 2002? I'd rather just go to 2002, then July, then the trip. I can't figure out the sub-galleries either, it's like something is eluding me. Is ShutterBug not for me? Am I missing something totally obvious? I am sleep-deprived so maybe it's just me?

Thanks,
TJ
:dunno

Comments

• PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Create 2002 as a category.

You can then either create subcategories for each month, or simply put the galleries directly in the year category (sorted by date) and put "July 2002" in the title.

That's exactly how I organise my photos: http://pbolchover.smugmug.com/2008
  • tj27tj27 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2008
    pbolchover, thank you for your reply. Your galleries look great. However I will need something with more levels of organization. Your method seems to be

---March 2008 event 1
    ---March 2008 event 2
    ---April 2008 event 1
    ---April trip day 1
    ---April trip day 2
    ---April random photos

I need to be able to do this without tearing my hair out:

---March 2008
    random photos from the month of March
    event 1
    event 2
    event 3
    ---April 2008
    random photos from the month of April
    event 1
    event 2
    special trip
    special trip day 1
    special trip day 2
    special trip day 3
    event 3

In reading through some of the other posts, I am not the only one that would like sub folders such as these. I still don't understand the category/gallery stuff, it is not intuitive. Even winkflash, snapfish, etc. offer folders with subfolders and it's easy to set them up. I am really surprised that smugmug doesn't offer this. Fortunately I am still in the trial phase of my membership. I'm disappointed becuase I like everything else about smug mug, but this is a "deal-breaker" for me, to quote another user with the same issue. :cry

From reading the other thread, it seems this isn't a priority for smugmug. I'm guessing the difference in perspectives is because I am not trying to display my photos for customers, just for myself and the grandparents? "Click fatigue" is not an issue for me, but organization is key.thumb.gif

In my dream program, I would have a drag and drop feature where I'd drag/drop folders from my computer and they would show up on the photo site, keeping the folder/subfolder/subsubfolder hierarchy that they started in. It seems so easy in my head, Laughing.gif!

If these features are coming soon, please let me know. Thanks!
    TJ
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    tj27 wrote:
    pbolchover, thank you for your reply. Your galleries look great. However I will need something with more levels of organization.

I need to be able to do this without tearing my hair out:

---March 2008
    random photos from the month of March
    event 1
    event 2
    event 3
    ---April 2008
    random photos from the month of April
    event 1
    event 2
    special trip
    special trip day 1
    special trip day 2
    special trip day 3
    event 3

You can do this exact level hierarchy you are asking for today.

Category = 2008
    Sub-category = March 2008
    Gallery 1 = random photos from the month of March
    Gallery 2 = event 1
    Gallery 3 = event 2
    Gallery 4 = event 3
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • tj27tj27 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2008
    well DOH, now I get it! I was thrown off by the categories, thinking it had to be something like travel, weddings, etc rather than a year. Thank you so much! uploading here I come!