edited June 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
How's this?

fractalsInNature_sm.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I like your idea but would like to see a little more DOF so the entire front of the shell were in focus. Maybe a little more dramatic lighting too. Just my 2 cents.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I agree. The blue lighting on the right side throws me off and the center of the shell should be sharper. I'd like a little turn to it. Like turning the shell towards the light a little or have another light o nthe second side. The golden rule is a great thing to look at and I love seeing the spirals and nautilus theme.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I think you have a ton of potential with that nautilus shell. This particular shot is just "OK" -- I know you can do better. Perhaps some more dramatic lighting? A different angle?
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I like the angle you have chosen - I think it puts the focus on where it needs to be for the theme. But by all means, try some reshoots on different angles and let us see :)

I agree with Shatch's comments, I would very much like to see it with more DOF and maybe some more drammatic lighting - let us see all of it's natural geometry clearly.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    All right, all right, geez! Why you gonna make me go live up to my potential? :D

Whacha think? Also which crop?

Wide
    P6119174_1.jpg

Tight
    P6119174_2.jpg

Some titles:
    Fractals in Nature
    Fractal Sunrise
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I couldn't wait to see where you were going with this one! And, it's been worth the wait! thumb.gif

The blue-lit stones and reflections add good drama to the pic. My preference is the one with the tighter crop (#2). The large area of black in #1 is too distracting.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I actually like the first one! It's all moody and dramatic. The reflection on the water is nice and the light has a nice soft blue tone.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    All right, all right, geez! Why you gonna make me go live up to my potential? :D
    Some titles:
    Fractals in Nature
    Fractal Sunrise

I like it. thumb.gif Great play on both themes!
    Few things:
    • Reflection is a very strong point. Maybe choose a crop accomodating for it? Currently it looks as a side effect.
    • Blue stones in the water are too bright. Maybe a gobo to block that part from lighting, making reflection much stronger? Or even lower angle, again making reflection stronger and refraction (and henceforth see-through effect) weaker.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I personally think that the second reflection one is nice, but I do think it needs to be straight on, not shot at an angle. When I look at your second attempt vs your first post I lose the "fractlness" of the object when it isn't shot straight on.

Just my 2 cents...
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Gorgeous.

I like #2 best.

Virginia

Email
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Wow, I like what you've done with the pic! I think I like the composition of #2 more. Really like the colors now too.