The MONOLITH
284129853_et8UT-XL.jpg

"Fountain of FURY
284129976_MJmkq-XL-1.jpg

Any thoughts on either appreciated ...

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    #1 is the better of the two. I would try to get rid of the branches on the right side of the frame either by cropping or cloning. They try a little creative PP to make it really pop.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I really like #1 and think it has lots of potential. It is geometrical and there is nice dynamic tension in the angles. The presence of the yellow breaks it up in an interesting way, I do agree with Shatch, however, that the branches should go. They distract, have no geometric form and add nothing to the composition, at least for purposes of the contest.

My suggestions: Since you are going for geometrical, fill the frame with the building. Try croping out the sky at the top (but leave in the top of the building) and the area with the branches on the right. You may need to rotate the picture a bit to create the right balance of angles. Clone out remaining branches if any. Then I would play with increasing the saturation of the blue and yellow.

Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    #1 is the better of the two. I would try to get rid of the branches on the right side of the frame either by cropping or cloning. They try a little creative PP to make it really pop.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I really like #1 and think it has lots of potential. It is geometrical and there is nice dynamic tension in the angles. The presence of the yellow breaks it up in an interesting way, I do agree with Shatch, however, that the branches should go. They distract, have no geometric form and add nothing to the composition, at least for purposes of the contest.

My suggestions: Since you are going for geometrical, fill the frame with the building. Try croping out the sky at the top (but leave in the top of the building) and the area with the branches on the right. You may need to rotate the picture a bit to create the right balance of angles. Clone out remaining branches if any. Then I would play with increasing the saturation of the blue and yellow.

Good luck!!

Virginia

I agree a lot with this critique, I would leave a little bit of sky especially if it's not just clear horizontal cut off on the roof for the angle you finally choose.

my big advice to you is to walk around the building. Just keep looking at it and try and find that right angle where you can get it to really work, either in the setup you have where there is a full view of the building. Or perhaps zooming closer into a specific detail

The building itself is a great find, especially with those nice shadows coming off of the protrusions you should be able to create some great images
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Thanks all for the comments .
    This is an older photo , and was just looking at the idea . The branches will definately go , and will try some different things when I visit the building in the very near future ..
    I just hope those 2 yellow lights are still there !!!!! I think it adds quite a bit . :D