Shot a Beautiful Model This Weekend (6 images) - Comments Please

Kevin GKevin G Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited June 15, 2008 in People
Well, this was my third time using off camera portable strobes and it's safe to say I'm addicted.

Here are the results of a model shoot I did yesterday with Angie. All shots were taken in bright sunlight and lit with two bare Sunpak 383s.

Any comments or constructive criticism you have for me would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2564628814_60a72f6c33.jpg

2564627818_984a465b26.jpg

2564628578_a0687afbc7.jpg?v=0

2564628386_be85348edb.jpg?v=0

2564628018_60c9e2583f.jpg?v=0

2563800945_5041270cca.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Kevin GKevin G Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Wow, it's hard to get some love around here huh?
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Kevin G wrote:
    Wow, it's hard to get some love around here huh?

Haha, don't worry about it, sometimes people just need a little warm-up time rolleyes1.gif

I really like your set & you are right, the model is beautiful!! :) My favorites are 2 & 6.

#4 I love the light on that one, but not the expression of the model. She looks like she's not sure about the pose. I think if she would have sat down, she would have felt more comfortable.

#5 is a bit too tilted in my opinion (although I LOVE tilted shots). I would maybe also have her more on the right side of the photo ... she looks a bit lost in space. And I woud maybe darken the edges a bit more.

It's a nice set clap.gif Hope you'll get some more comments!
    edited June 9, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Haha, don't worry about it, sometimes people just need a little warm-up time rolleyes1.gif

I really like your set & you are right, the model is beautiful!! :) My favorites are 2 & 6.

#4 I love the light on that one, but not the expression of the model. She looks like she's not sure about the pose. I think if she would have sat down, she would have felt more comfortable.

#5 is a bit too tilted in my opinion (although I LOVE tilted shots). I would maybe also have her more on the right side of the photo ... she looks a bit lost in space. And I woud maybe darken the edges a bit more.

It's a nice set clap.gif Hope you'll get some more comments!

Thanks a lot for the feedback! The model had pretty much zero experience so it was tough getting good poses out of her.

Thanks again.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Btw. Had a quick peak at your website. You got some really nice shots! thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    The lighting is ok. The posing and compositions are pretty weak. The pose for 4 and 6...the squatting...doesn't work very well at all. As for the compositions, you chose to center your subject in most of them....?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ..the squatting...doesn't work very well at all.
    +1
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I like number 2 the best of the bunch. I'm also wondering what happened to her left (screen left) eye...
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The lighting is ok. The posing and compositions are pretty weak. The pose for 4 and 6...the squatting...doesn't work very well at all. As for the compositions, you chose to center your subject in most of them....?
    I agree, except lighting is rather harsh & bland to my taste, but that's me...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 10, 2008
    Anyone have any examples of shots taken in bright sun that aren't as "harsh" as these?

It seems everyone likes dull and underexposed models.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Kevin G wrote:
    Anyone have any examples of shots taken in bright sun that aren't as "harsh" as these?

Kevin you asked for comments...
    then you sarcastically ask again.

then you get comments,

and your upset by the opinions of the commenters? at least that's what your comment implies to me.

try asking for "positive fluff" only on your next post.
    edited June 10, 2008
    I think the lighting is great,
    I don't like the squatting poses
    I think the comp is decent in all but #4 & #5 #4 could be improved with a tighter crop and #5 I agree with Agnieszka
    #3 the reflection of her head in the window detracts and distracts maybe try to mask and desat the reflection
    #1 is cool has the glamour look
    #2 is my favorite I think it would've been cool with some people in the BG
    edited June 10, 2008
    Kevin G wrote:

Rejection/critique is natural part of getting better. As Shay used to say, "feedback is the breakfast of champions". deal.gif
    This is very mild crowd here actually, you should try Canon forum at DPReview. mwink.gif
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Rejection/critique is natural part of getting better. As Shay used to say, "feedback is the breakfast of champions". deal.gif
    This is very mild crowd here actually, you should try Canon forum at DPReview. mwink.gif

I agree Nikolai.....

....another difference between here and DPReview, is that over there many of the harsher citics do NOT have the portfolio to back up what they have said....

To the OP.... If you are completely satisfied with the style and look of what you are doing, then why ask for opinions ?

I chose not to comment on your lighting for a couple reasons. First and foremost I am not experienced with this type of lighting where the artificial lighting is the primary light source. I use artificial lighting only to enhance the natural light. I don't particularly like the type of lighting that you are trying to use....but that is my choice. At least one of those responding does indeed use artificial light as his primary source out of doors regularly....and he is very good at it. If I were in your shoes, I might peruse some portfolios and find out who that guy is...and definately would take his critique of lighting as good advice.

... in your opening comments you seemed to want to put blame on the inexperienced model. Well, some of the folks who have replied in this thread have worked with experienced models. I have NEVER worked with an experienced model. AS a portrait photographer, if I were waiting for an experienced model to stroll in and make or break me as a photographer I would be up the creek. 99.99% of the people out there in this world have never done any modeling. Of that number, the vast majority will, infact, be very uncomfortable in front of a camera. OUR job is to guide them in poses that are flattering for their body/ face type, and compose them in their best light....all while helping them to be comfortable, and indeed confident about having their photograph taken. If, when you hand them their prints they are not so happy with them that they don't want to rush off and show them to all their friends, then we have let them down.

I hope you can understand here that no one is trying to be elitist with their statments. I have found the feedback from other forum members to be an excellent tool.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'm not a fan of her squatting down like that. I don't know if it's unladylike or it just makes her look bunchy. Otherwise, cool lighting and I like the windblown hair. Lots of variety too. She has such a small waist, did you ask her to try broken doll or arabesque?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I'm not a fan of her squatting down like that. I don't know if it's unladylike or it just makes her look bunchy.
    To me, those two shots ruin the whole set :( It's like she's taking a pee or something... definitely not attractive, IMO.
    edited June 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ....another difference between here and DPReview, is that over there many of the harsher citics do NOT have the portfolio to back up what they have said....
    Totally. That was what drove me completely nuts (luckily not for many years now). Bunch of effing nobodies with lots of free time and some very bad attitude.. No mods of course to strain them down, and PA seemed to ignore/like them.
    Oh well, that was OT, sorry:-)mwink.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    You commented that your model had zero experience. Try getting a bunch of magazines like glamour and vanity fair and pull out the ones you like be it lighting, pose of model, or the model's face, there's something there you like, right? Try to figure it out. You can also google search for dances, especially ballet. Ballet is a great influence on beautiful poses.
    It helps me out a lot when i can point at a picture and say "I want that" and then we both have a good mental picture of what to do.
    I draw my shoots out with pencils and watercolours and I've been pretty happy with that.
    Just some thoughts!
    edited June 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Totally. That was what drove me completely nuts (luckily not for many years now). Bunch of effing nobodies with lots of free time and some very bad attitude.. No mods of course to strain them down, and PA seemed to ignore/like them.
    Oh well, that was OT, sorry:-)mwink.gif

OT yes, but I gotta say....those guys definately can take some beautiful shots of dollar bills and brick walls!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Fashion magazines are great for finding poses and ideas and lighting and outfits and jewelry and. . . . I did that all the time. I have several shots in my portfolio that are my versions of photos I found in magazines and videos. I even have one that was inspired by the video for Murray Head's One Night in Bankock. And although she was nowhere near my style, I'd always wanted to photograph Grace Jones.

I'm surprised I didn't have a subscription to Vogue back in the '80s when I was shooting models. I'd pick up the current issue in the supermarket and I didn't care what anyone thought. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 11, 2008
    Well Kevin...
    It seems as though you've wondered away,
    Sad...
    I'll never forget the first time I posted a photo up for crit, after reading the responses I said to myself "What is the matter with these people? This is the best friggin picture in the world...UGH!"
    It is definitely hard to hear but in the end, even the critiques that hurt or that I don't agree with, I value. Because... even someone with less experience than me (which after viewing your gallery I obviously have less than you) has a different view than me. You can easily tell the people that are just out to knock from the people who are genuinely out to help, that is... if you really want the help.

I still get defensive every now and then,

-Keith
    edited June 15, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    Well Kevin...
    It seems as though you've wondered away,
    Sad...
    I'll never forget the first time I posted a photo up for crit, after reading the responses I said to myself "What is the matter with these people? This is the best friggin picture in the world...UGH!"
    It is definitely hard to hear but in the end, even the critiques that hurt or that I don't agree with, I value. Because... even someone with less experience than me (which after viewing your gallery I obviously have less than you) has a different view than me. You can easily tell the people that are just out to knock from the people who are genuinely out to help, that is... if you really want the help.

I still get defensive every now and then,

-Keith

I didnt wander away, I just let the thread go wherever it wanted to go.

It's just interesting. If the same shot was taken by someone everyone knows to be a pro, it would get rave reviews.

Right. Cause people say things like "lighting is too hard for me" but in a photo from another "popular" photographer they will comment "great lighting" on a photo with harder lighting than mine.

I'm saying people in general btw, not a certain person or people in this thread. I posted these pictures more than one site; it seems like some people wish the pictures weren't good and comment as such...especially if you post something like "this is my third time trying this technique."

I've done tests on other forums where I've posted as a professional and as an amateur and it seems that announcing that you're an amateur gets you more negativity and less praise.

So, whatever. People are people and nobody's perfect.
    edited June 15, 2008
    Kevin G wrote:
    I didnt wander away, I just let the thread go wherever it wanted to go.

It's just interesting. If the same shot was taken by someone everyone knows to be a pro, it would get rave reviews.

Right. Cause people say things like "lighting is too hard for me" but in a photo from another "popular" photographer they will comment "great lighting" on a photo with harder lighting than mine.

I'm saying people in general btw, not a certain person or people in this thread. I posted these pictures more than one site; it seems like some people wish the pictures weren't good and comment as such...especially if you post something like "this is my third time trying this technique."

I've done tests on other forums where I've posted as a professional and as an amateur and it seems that announcing that you're an amateur gets you more negativity and less praise.

So, whatever. People are people and nobody's perfect.

Good grief, man... Next time don't ask for comments, simply say you want a pat on the back, you'll get plenty of those...deal.gif
    edited June 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Good grief, man... Next time don't ask for comments, simply say you want a pat on the back, you'll get plenty of those...deal.gif

It's no problem.