Pole Vault & Track Shots

cdmiltoncdmilton Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited June 15, 2008 in Sports
This is my first time out with my new Canon 70-200 2.8 IS at the track.

309229504_tCwLc-XL.jpg

309230194_EotGa-XL.jpg

#3 - Waiting to start
309226258_inB9i-XL-1.jpg

#4 - Team Photo (24-70 2.8)
309002401_hchsR-XL.jpg

#5 - Relay Leg
309007719_VEs8A-XL.jpg

Let me know what you think. I think things turned out well considering I was there to mostly coach not photograph the event.

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Great Photos!bowdown.gif

Thanks for posting!!!

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I like #3 the best myself.

I hate spring sports photography....especially track! :D

Maybe i just need to understand the flow of track meets better, but I spent so much time at meets this year and found it very difficult to really capture everything. So much going on at once, not to mention the thing can take 10 hours. ...oh, and i almost got killed by a shot put. *sigh*

IMG_3752-Edit-2-2.jpg
  • cdmiltoncdmilton Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    coleygm wrote:
    I like #3 the best myself.

I hate spring sports photography....especially track! :D

Maybe i just need to understand the flow of track meets better, but I spent so much time at meets this year and found it very difficult to really capture everything. So much going on at once, not to mention the thing can take 10 hours. ...oh, and i almost got killed by a shot put. *sigh*

Thanks Greg! I've been around track for 15 years now as an athlete and coach so I know how things work.

Nice HJ photo you got there!
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    cdmilton wrote:
    Thanks Greg! I've been around track for 15 years now as an athlete and coach so I know how things work.

Nice HJ photo you got there!

Any advice or tips then is greatly appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head though...i think the best photographers are always those who understand the subject their shooting. Spending 20 minutes understanding where the best position for this HJ picture should be...not to mention burning hundreds of photo's to get the gist of the motion is what burns my time.

If you want to take 10 minutes and throw some words of wisdom down of covering track, you would help me and many others out tremendously.

thanks
  • cdmiltoncdmilton Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    I guess it depends on what you are there to see. Since the field events go most of the meet you have time to catch the running events in between. For the PV and HJ, the better athletes will always be toward the end. Depending on the meet this will also be true for the throws and LJ/TJ. Usually you will get 3 jumps/throws and the top X numbers of people make it to finals for 3 more throws. For the most part, the running events are always in the same order. Depending on the meet, there might be finals in the events as well.

If you or anyone have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them. I'm just getting started with photography so I am by far no expert on covering the event. The best advice I have heard is you most always want the athlete's face shown.

Chris

coleygm wrote:

You hit the nail on the head though...i think the best photographers are always those who understand the subject their shooting. Spending 20 minutes understanding where the best position for this HJ picture should be...not to mention burning hundreds of photo's to get the gist of the motion is what burns my time.

If you want to take 10 minutes and throw some words of wisdom down of covering track, you would help me and many others out tremendously.

thanks
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008

Get between the players and sun if possible.

Shoot from your knees.

Shoot from every possible angle, even if you think it will not work. Go back home and see which ones look best and what angles work. Next time, you will have better keeper rates because you know what works and what doesn't.