Options

Lingo

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited June 14, 2008 in Technique
Anyone have any good mneumonic devices to help me get a handle on the photography jargon? Especially ones for ISO, aperture, the names of gear and all them other fancy words you pros use?
I don't know if this belongs here but sometimes I'll read thread and have no idea what's being discussed. My main problem is saying "the thingy that makes the lights much brighter" and so on.

I'm a n00b but I can find a cure.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Anyone have any good mneumonic devices to help me get a handle on the photography jargon? Especially ones for ISO, aperture, the names of gear and all them other fancy words you pros use?
    I don't know if this belongs here but sometimes I'll read thread and have no idea what's being discussed. My main problem is saying "the thingy that makes the lights much brighter" and so on.

I'm a n00b but I can find a cure.

Any help is much appreciated!

Here is an AMAZON PAGE with several dictionary's dedicated to photographic terms and the like..........good luck......if you buy ....buy used ...much cheaper...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I was thinking much the same thing - a glossary page here at DGrin would be the shiznitz.

Example: I finally kind of got what "chimping" is, but still don't know why it's called that. There's tons of lingo that leaves us noobs bewildered.

On that note, I'm going to start a "chimping" thread :DHere it is!

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    I was thinking much the same thing - a glossary page here at DGrin would be the shiznitz.

You mean....

like this?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    You mean....

like this?
    Umm, yah... like that.

:bash 11doh.gif

Man, you wrote that glossary really fast!
    Thanks!

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Umm, yah... like that.

:bash 11doh.gif

Man, you wrote that glossary really fast!
    Thanks!

Peace,
    Sanaka

I am that good. :davidto
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Nards, I have to buy more stuff? This photography business is a giant hole in my pocket. :cry
    I'm sure I can bum around the forums and find out what the special importance of aperture and ISO is and how to manipulate it.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Nards, I have to buy more stuff? This photography business is a giant hole in my pocket. :cry
    Photography is indeed a slippery slope! I don't want to tell you how bad it is so you don't get scared away!

I'm sure I can bum around the forums and find out what the special importance of aperture and ISO is and how to manipulate it.
    Try starting here.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Abbreviations to terms...
    And then you need to explain all the abbreviations. It took me 6 months of forum reading to figure out that "OOF" was "out of focus"

Here are some more:
    DOF: Depth of Field
    OCF: Off camera flash
    FF: Fill Flash
    PP: Post Processing
    C&C: Comments and Critique or Critique and Comments (are you right brain or left brain?)
    PJ: Photo Journalist
    IMHO: in my humble opinion (not really relating to photography)

For some reason I can't remember any more off the top of my head. ne_nau.gif But they are there and took me a while to decipher. Feel free to chip in anyone who can think of any more....mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Yay for glosseries! Thank you everyone I'll be studying my butt off if the flood gets my workplace. Thanks for the little list of quickies.
    I thought OOF was just oops... but then that kinda works.
    OOf is also the sound someone makes when they fall off a ladder.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    OOf is also the sound someone makes when they fall off a ladder.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Photography is indeed a slippery slope! I don't want to tell you how bad it is so you don't get scared away!

15524779-Ti.gif You said it. But it has great rewards!!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif You said it. But it has great rewards!!

Like... a million dollars? If this is one of those better my personality rewards that's a gip. I can't buy softboxes with a charming personality and a sense of responsibilty. Nards. :cry
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    Like... a million dollars? If this is one of those better my personality rewards that's a gip. I can't buy softboxes with a charming personality and a sense of responsibilty. Nards. :cry
    But you don't need softboxes to take fantastic shots *but is is fun to do mwink.gif.

There are tons of natural light photogs in here. Just find what you like and find out how they did it :D