Options

Turning off Canon ImageBrowser

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I upgraded to the latest Canon DPP and related software and now ImageBrowser wants to launch every time I insert my CF cards. I cannot find a preference for this behaviour in any of the Canon utilities nor in the Mac's system prefs. Any idea how to make it stop? Ingestion is Lightroom's job!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    Thread bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    I upgraded to the latest Canon DPP and related software and now ImageBrowser wants to launch every time I insert my CF cards. I cannot find a preference for this behaviour in any of the Canon utilities nor in the Mac's system prefs. Any idea how to make it stop? Ingestion is Lightroom's job!

Try looking in the preferences for Image Capture. I had this same problem and I was able to change the setting there and also in Aperture (but it sounds like you are using LR, so Image Capture should do the trick).thumb.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Its in EOS Utility. Somewhere in there is a preference to launch Imagebrowser after download. just remove that or choose whatever program you want EOS utility to launch.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Its in EOS Utility. Somewhere in there is a preference to launch Imagebrowser after download. just remove that or choose whatever program you want EOS utility to launch.

I wish:

Startup Action
    Show Main Window
    Show [Lets you select and download images] screen
    Show [Camera settings/Remote shooting] screen
    Execute [Starts to download images]

Sadly nothing about turning the darn thing off entirely, which begs the question... Where is the little daemon hiding? I cannot find it in the Login startup items in the system prefs.

This thing's driving me nuts! The splash screen says "ImageBrowser" but the application is called "MemoryCard Utility". I can't find how this app knows to fire up.
  • Options
    mrlouiemrlouie Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    If anyone still needs this for a Mac, this will turn off Canon ImageBrower on start up when using card reader..

Applications
    - Image capture
    -- Prefs (General)
    ----CAMERA:
    ~~~~ when camera is connected, open "NO APPLICATION"

Its not in EOS Utility
    "Custom Cars & Beautiful Girls Make The World A Better Place"
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    mrlouie wrote:
    If anyone still needs this for a Mac, this will turn off Canon ImageBrower on start up when using card reader..

Applications
    - Image capture
    -- Prefs (General)
    ----CAMERA:

Its not in EOS Utility

bowdown.gifbow Where can I mail you a cheque for $100? bowdown.gifbow
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    mrlouie wrote:

Applications
    - Image capture
    -- Prefs (General)
    ----CAMERA:

Its not in EOS Utility

Note that this preference IS in EOS Utility, though I was not aware of Image Capture, so that was a good find.

To turn off app launch in EOS Utility, choose Preferences, then when the Preferences dialog opens, you need to select the top box, and change it from "Basic Settings" to "Linked Software". In this dialog, make sure it says "None".
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    Mine was set to DPP, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Either way, i'm glad it's OFF!!
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Me too!
    Pindy wrote:
    bowdown.gifbow Where can I mail you a cheque for $100? bowdown.gifbow

I said it first! I want a cheque too!mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    While we are onthe subject, I have the same problem with VISTA and Canon fighting... does not bother me, I just shut one down every time... but now... as I am getting ready to get another Canon, different model, I am wondering if I will need to download THAT software also?... or? And then... we might have three fighters!!!
    Maybe I will try the 30D software on the 5D... any thoughts?

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    While we are onthe subject, I have the same problem with VISTA and Canon fighting... does not bother me, I just shut one down every time... but now... as I am getting ready to get another Canon, different model, I am wondering if I will need to download THAT software also?... or? And then... we might have three fighters!!!
    Maybe I will try the 30D software on the 5D... any thoughts?

Be well... Ara & Spirit

it's the same software. i went from the 30 to the 5 with no change, just updated from the web site.
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    it's the same software. i went from the 30 to the 5 with no change, just updated from the web site.

Oh! what does that mean updated from the web site? It is going to come with a Disc... When you were done, you could use both cameras right?
    Sorry, I am a bit "ignoramus" with all of this...

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Oh! what does that mean updated from the web site? It is going to come with a Disc... When you were done, you could use both cameras right?
    Sorry, I am a bit "ignoramus" with all of this...

like most software, it is usually updated beyond what the CD version provides.

The EOS software works will all EOS cameras.
  • Options
    Recoil RobRecoil Rob Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2008
    mrlouie wrote:

Applications
    - Image capture
    -- Prefs (General)
    ----CAMERA:

Its not in EOS Utility

Thanks for that help. On my Mac every time I connect a camera Camera Window opens, I download and I lke that. It's just that as soon as the download is complete Image Browser opens and I don't want that. Not to be piggy but is there anyway to set it up so Camera Window will open but not Image Browser?

Thanks, Rob