Options

Cropped Photos = Good Prints?

foto41foto41 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited June 16, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When having prints made, especially 8x12 or larger, I always upload the original 12 Mpix image. A recent purchase put me into a delima. The full size jpeg I uploaded was based on a cropped photo that was only 2053 x 1484 or approx 3 Mpix. I realize that this is not ideal, but are there any suggestions here if a cropped portion is all you can use? Is that going to make a bad print at 8x12?
Here is the photo:
310135203_B7VEv-L-1.jpg
Barry Nichols

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Can't see the photo, please enable external links in the gallery thanks...
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    External links is now on.
    Barry Nichols
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Good looking pic fwiw...

Just as a quick test I tried to go to your galleries to find this one and try to put it in my cart as an 8x12 to see what it would say but couldn't find it - maybe it's in a locked folder?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Good looking pic fwiw...

Just as a quick test I tried to go to your galleries to find this one and try to put it in my cart as an 8x12 to see what it would say but couldn't find it - maybe it's in a locked folder?

Thanks for the compliment. It is in there, here is the link:
    http://www.foto41.com/gallery/4936943_yA9TT#295225256_QCU7c

Has anyone ever used OnOne's Genuine Fractals 5? They say that I can crop a small section of an image and then use their alorithm to resize that cropped area to the originals dimensions.
    I am just confused at how many pixels are needed for a good print. I have read the help pages but could use some real life experience.
    Thanks!!
    Barry Nichols
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    foto41 wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment. It is in there, here is the link:
    http://www.foto41.com/gallery/4936943_yA9TT#295225256_QCU7c

Has anyone ever used OnOne's Genuine Fractals 5? They say that I can crop a small section of an image and then use their alorithm to resize that cropped area to the originals dimensions.
    I am just confused at how many pixels are needed for a good print. I have read the help pages but could use some real life experience.
    Thanks!!

I've heard of that program but have not personally used it.

I was able to add the pic to my cart as an 8x12 and 12x14, but no larger sizes were available.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist