Carriage Driving

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Sports
This is the first time I have ever taken photos of any type of sport so your help and advice would be more than welcome to improve my shots.
Regards
Bob

310186815_avMGi-L.jpg
310186841_Q4tJn-L.jpg
310186915_2mz4S-L.jpg
310186935_Kv76e-L.jpg
310186957_Y52MP-L.jpg
310186975_296rG-L.jpg
310187000_cBSWU-L.jpg
310187019_d4uaA-L.jpg

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Combined driving, dressage part, right? And those are ponies aren't they? Everything looks sort of scaled down. Cuuuute! :D

I think you did ok, I really like the third and the last one. 'Spose you could crop some of the shots to get the action a bit off center and up the contrast. thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Combined driving, dressage part, right? And those are ponies aren't they? Everything looks sort of scaled down. Cuuuute! :D

I think you did ok, I really like the third and the last one. 'Spose you could crop some of the shots to get the action a bit off center and up the contrast. thumb.gif

Thanks for looking and replying and giving me some advice which I truly appreciate.
    Regards
    Bob
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    If you are going to be doing more sports, or more carriage shots like this, I suggest getting low to the ground. Everybody takes shots while standing up, but not many get on the ground.

Get a wide angle and get as close to the route of the horses as possible. Put the camera on the ground and shoot up. Get creative in camera positions.

It looks like you nailed the technical aspects as the exposure and sharpness look great. Shooting low will make the horse and rider look taller and more heroic.

You could stand to crop these pictures closer to make them better. Have a full shot of each separate team, and then crop close to emphasize the faces of the rider and horse. The third would be an example of this. Crop behind the ladies head and then just under the snout of the left horse. Everything else is dead space.