learning the canon eos 30d

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Cameras
i just bought a canon 30d eos.i want to go beyond the basic zones and learn the creative zones and beyond.i am prepared to do alot of experiment shots.besides the user manual and the quick pro dvd is there info that can help me with this?thank-you

Comments

• TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    i just bought a canon 30d eos.i want to go beyond the basic zones and learn the creative zones and beyond.i am prepared to do alot of experiment shots.besides the user manual and the quick pro dvd is there info that can help me with this?thank-you

Pick up Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    The short (and not very useful answer :D) is "Yes".

What you are talking about is gaining an understanding of the Shutter Speed (SS), aperture, and ISO Speed. Very quickly, these can be summarized as:
    • Shutter speed controls how long the sensor is exposed to ambient light. Flash/strobe lighting is a whole 'nother story.
    • Aperture also controls the amount of light to which the sensor is exposed. But, it does it differently in that it is an expression of the size of the diaphram in the lens through which the light passes on it path to the sensor. The smaller this "hole" the less light that arrives at the sensor in a given time period. The size of the aperture, at the time of exposure, is also one of the factors used in controlling something called Depth of Field - google is your friend here.
    • ISO is an expression of how sensitive your sensor is to the light that falls upon it. For reference and in case it might help, the ISO numbers closely correlate to the speed ratings used with film. The higher this ISO number, the more sensitive is the sensor to the light (and the more noise you will see in the shadows/darker regions of the image - nothing comes for free).
    With that quick summary in hand, one really good source on the web for helping to understand the relationships between these three factors is "Lighting 101" series provided by the strobist. While it's not easy going, it's not terribly difficult either. This series does assume some prior knowledge but provides hints along the way about what this information might be. A little use of google will help you find this "required" knowledge. With light study (remember, nothing worthwhile comes easy) and some reflective thinking - understanding can easily be yours (no pun intended in either case :D).

The book referenced by TaDa is also a very good resource and talks in some detail about all of the above but you will learn much more from the stobist's posts with not a lot more work than from the book - just MNSHO.
  • yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    thanks for the reference to the brian peterson book.thi will save me some time fumling around in the field.have a nice day.
  • yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    learning the canon eos 30d
    thanks for the book reference.have aq nice day