Options

SHARPENING - Landscape photo for web posting

joelhgarciajoelhgarcia Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Technique
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask how to you sharpen your LANDSCAPE photos for web posting?

from Hi-resolution then to web size?

I dont know if your familiar with Marc Adamus sharpening technique.

from Hiresolution i resize it as double of my web size width which is 800

so from hires size i resize it to 1600 then double sharpen blend mode luminosity then mask it i only sharpen rocks and mountains the water and sky was not sharpen. then resize to 800 or 900 for web size.

Can you give me tips? also how to pop the elements after sharpening?

Joel G.

Comments

• Options
    GonzoBernelliGonzoBernelli Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I would like to ask how to you sharpen your LANDSCAPE photos for web posting?

from Hi-resolution then to web size?

I dont know if your familiar with Marc Adamus sharpening technique.

from Hiresolution i resize it as double of my web size width which is 800

so from hires size i resize it to 1600 then double sharpen blend mode luminosity then mask it i only sharpen rocks and mountains the water and sky was not sharpen. then resize to 800 or 900 for web size.

Can you give me tips? also how to pop the elements after sharpening?

Joel G.

I read somewhere, perhaps in one of Margulis' books, that converting to CMYK and sharpening only the black channel will help landscapes a lot because you are not playing with any of the RGB/CMY. just the K.

Also, change pixel density and then image size before (in one step in CS3), converting to SRGB, diddle the color if you need to and then sharpen as a last step. Sharpening parameters take into account viewing distance 12-18 inches, image size and pixel density
    DISCLAIMER: This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I read somewhere, perhaps in one of Margulis' books, that converting to CMYK and sharpening only the black channel will help landscapes a lot because you are not playing with any of the RGB/CMY. just the K.

Also, change pixel density and then image size before (in one step in CS3), converting to SRGB, diddle the color if you need to and then sharpen as a last step. Sharpening parameters take into account viewing distance 12-18 inches, image size and pixel density

Are you SURE you don't mean convert to LAB and sharpen the luminance channel? Going to CMYK is usually only wise if printing for offset printing.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    Are you SURE you don't mean convert to LAB and sharpen the luminance channel? Going to CMYK is usually only wise if printing for offset printing.

I think pittspilot is correct...convert it to lab mode then click the luminance channel sharpen it then go back to SRGB...
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    I think pittspilot is correct...convert it to lab mode then click the luminance channel sharpen it then go back to SRGB...

Can you tell my wife I was right about something, sometime :-))
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    Can you tell my wife I was right about something, sometime :-))

Ha ha ha ha...rolleyes1.gif