Canon 1000D and 430EX II are announced

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited June 11, 2008 in Cameras
As expected, the 1000D was announced today, ushering in a new low end dSLR for Canon. Also announced was a less expensive almost fully featured accessory flash unit, the 430EX II.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08061002Canon1000D.asp

Discuss.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Well, looking at the euro prices, I suspect that the XS body will go for about $599, which I think is a bit too high. I hope it's more like $500. But I guess it's price seems about right to compete against the Nikon D60.

Overall, I suspect that it has the same 10MP sensor with digic III from the 40D and should actually be less noisy than the XSi/450D. Maybe a nice sleeper of a body, a 40D sensor crammed into a shrunken XSi body for a $200 discount over the XSi.

I really don't care about the 14 vs 12 bit processing as I've not seen much difference with all that highlight tone priority stuff.

Only thing that bothers me is that in RAW it's 1.5 fps for 6 shots. Not a huge deal for beginners as most will shoot in JPEG with it's 3fps for 500+ shot buffer.

Should be a nice beginner body and a nice back up for someone with a 40D or even a 5D I guess. In all honesty, I was expecting a more stripped down body for about $450 to undercut the competition and drive more folks into the Canon system.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    Might make a nice fully IR converted toy? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited June 10, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Might make a nice fully IR converted toy? ne_nau.gif
    This may be a lot cheaper way to do it.
    http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/oef-15.html
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    It's tiny! smaller than the Oly E-420? Now if only Canon had a nice pancake lens like the Zuiko 28mm.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, David!
    Hopefully this also means 50D and 6D are coming out soon, too:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    As someone looking to upgrade from P&S land, this is a welcome addition to the range. It was getting hard to justify XSi price for features I likely wouldn't use. Glad to see a reasonable competitor to the E420, with a better lens selection than the D40.

n00b persepective:
    dedicated ISO button is great
    10mp is plenty
    Would have liked to see in-body IS, but realize that isn't Canon's strategy.
    Live view sort of gimmicky
    Wish it had spot metering, I use it a lot on my S5

When will it hit Canada? I might be compelled to pick one up.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    It will be interesting to see how this new camera affects the 4xx series
    sales. From what I understand they are only 100-150€ more. The 400D
    is the same price as the 1000D (if found for sale).

For those interested, here is a brief comparison of the two cameras:http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_1000D_Rebel_XS/verdict.shtml
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    This camera will also stick w/ the XSi theme of SD cards I noticed... which is good for someone moving up from the point and shoot world I'd assume.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    If we could just get the pancakes to go with that. A 30mm obviously, dig up a 50mm cake recipe from the manual focus age and update it and then, since I'm dreaming anyway, a small wide-angle lens.

With those I'd have a lot of trouble pulling up reasons for staying with my little carry-anywhere p&s. :D

The E420 looks really nice, but I'm not sure about the FourThirds thing.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's tiny! smaller than the Oly E-420? Now if only Canon had a nice pancake lens like the Zuiko 28mm.

The Oly is still a bit smaller (and about 100g lighter as well).

As a potential first time DSLR buyer, this brings my interest back to Canon somewhat. I'll want to play with one in a store sometime, I didn't really like the feel of the XTi, and the 40d felt too big and heavy for me. This could finally be a Canon that I like.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    If we could just get the pancakes to go with that. A 30mm obviously, dig up a 50mm cake recipe from the manual focus age and update it and then, since I'm dreaming anyway, a small wide-angle lens.

With those I'd have a lot of trouble pulling up reasons for staying with my little carry-anywhere p&s. :D

The E420 looks really nice, but I'm not sure about the FourThirds thing.

There is also the option to put a pentax pencace via PK2EOS Adapter
    on your Canon. With MF and AF confirm.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited June 11, 2008
    Some images from Canon for anyone to download and play with.
    Looks like typical Canon CMOS image, meaning great IQ.
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eosdigital5/eosdigital5_sample-e.html