Allegra

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in People
1 By the rocks:

310523173_YTqBf-XL.jpg

2 By the waterfall (it was high noon, so the light was far from ideal)

310523562_y28at-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nice shots Nikolai!

I really like #1, I think I would only take away the scribble on the rocks (on the right) & maybe darken the edges a bit .... But it's nice shade-work mwink.gif

#2 looks a bit distorted to me. Her upper body looks a bit too wide. Did you try to tone down the hightlights (skin) a bit in Lightroom? That should work. Beside this I would saturate the green rock a bit & bring out the waterfall drops. (but that might be just me, I like it colorful) iloveyou.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Nice shots Nikolai!

I really like #1, I think I would only take away the scribble on the rocks (on the right) & maybe darken the edges a bit .... But it's nice shade-work mwink.gif

#2 looks a bit distorted to me. Her upper body looks a bit too wide. Did you try to tone down the hightlights (skin) a bit in Lightroom? That should work. Beside this I would saturate the green rock a bit & bring out the waterfall drops. (but that might be just me, I like it colorful) iloveyou.gif

Thanks Agnie,
    you're too kind. :-)

The whole shoot was half-disaster due to miscalculated sun position. My mistake in planning - I mostly visited that place in the winter times when the sun is MUCH lower and doesn't go into the canyon at all or at least not until later in the day. And we were two hours late, too (now not because of me).

#1 Those edges are BOBAR (blown out beyond any recovery:-) so I just left them as is. I though about the scratches, but she was into a darker mood anyway, so I decided to leave them on. However I liked how my flash worked in this case, you pretty much can't tell there was one (and it would be pitch dark without it). Yay 1/4CTO!

#2 Yes, not the best angle, totally agree. Too high vantage point, two wide on the lens, I'm usually trying to shoot from not higher than a waist line (or lower if I can) and a much longer focal length, but this was a practical impossibility, there was no other place for me to be (unless into the water next to her her, which I was totally not prepared to:-). Skin wise - BOBAR again, I actually dimmed it already, any more and you start getting those nasty gray HDR/Shadow-Highlits effects with I hate with the passion.

Oh well, excuses excuses rolleyes1.gif Stay tuned thogh, the second one was a bit better, methinks, will post tonight or tomorrow...

Thanks again! thumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nik, where's the waterfall?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, where's the waterfall?

yeah I don't see it either

lol
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    yeah I don't see it either

lol

NOT what I meant.

I want to know the location of it. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    NOT what I meant.

I want to know the location of it. deal.gif

I got it:-)
    Yeah, it's really weak during the non-winter. rolleyes1.gif
    It's the same Rose Valley Falls in Upper Ojai mountains. Lower step is an easy (1 out of 10) 5-10 min hike, upper step (where we went) adds strenuos (8 out 10) 30 minutes climb (20 if you're in a good shape and don't have to carry 100lbs of stuff), but it's awesome.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    the high heels and the rocks looks treacherous.
    Looks like a fun shoot though
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nice work-- especially on that first photo! The heels are great touch.

I like the second photo but the perspective looks a bit odd-- her upper body looks out of proportion to her lower body. I know you're limited by your terrain though, so a straight on shot probably wasn't possible.

And finally, lucky you for being able to shoot outdoors! We actually had several inches of snow in the mountain passes last night in Oregon! I have an outdoor shoot on Thursday and the forecast is for warmer weather but right now it's quite chilly (and wet) for June!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited June 10, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    the high heels and the rocks looks treacherous.
    They do have trouble with them (and by god, was I the reason many of those fancy shoes were ruined over the sharp rocks mwink.gif ), but they looks nice, and I don't agree to shoot unless they wear them.. rolleyes1.gif
    Looks like a fun shoot though
    It was OK I guess. Light sucked, so I got what I could, scraps...ne_nau.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Did you try distorting the second image (perspective distortion) ? It might work ne_nau.gif
    edited June 10, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Nice work-- especially on that first photo! The heels are great touch.

I like the second photo but the perspective looks a bit odd-- her upper body looks out of proportion to her lower body. I know you're limited by your terrain though, so a straight on shot probably wasn't possible.

And finally, lucky you for being able to shoot outdoors! We actually had several inches of snow in the mountain passes last night in Oregon! I have an outdoor shoot on Thursday and the forecast is for warmer weather but right now it's quite chilly (and wet) for June!

Thanks Pete! thumb.gif

Angle-wise on #2. Yeah, as I said... ne_nau.gif It's been challenging to say the least. I almost ruined my Sunpaks in that waterfall... It's only a trickle now, but there is quite some of it falling from 130ft height, so it gets everywhere... I need to start calling my assistant on this one, so he can hold the screen at least... And maybe bring some pool stuff and ziploc backs so I can get closer to the model level in those pools... Darn logistics...mwink.gif
    edited June 10, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Did you try distorting the second image (perspective distortion) ? It might work ne_nau.gif
    I didn't. I may though, thanks for suggestion! thumb.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    I really like number 1 clap.gif, she reminds of one of the older russian actresses, don't know if you know who i mean (don't remember the name)

Second shot kind of blah! Doesn't do much for me. ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
    edited June 10, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I really like number 1 clap.gif, she reminds of one of the older russian actresses, don't know if you know who i mean (don't remember the name)
    You mean young Ranevsakya, like "Bespridannitsa" from 50ies?mwink.gif
    Second shot kind of blah! Doesn't do much for me. ne_nau.gif
    Oh well, I tried.. rolleyes1.gif I prolly should've dunked myself into that pool mwink.gif
    The only problem - due to the frefraction I wouldn't be able to catch her legs in the water at all... Decisions, decisions... Laughing.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You mean young Ranevsakya, like "Bespridannitsa" from 50ies?mwink.gif

No, she wasn't from the 50s, much later. Darn it, now i'm not gonna sleep all night!! rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8