A difference in sharpness

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited April 12, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
between the photo in PBase and when embedded here:

Embedded (from PBase):
29510759.jpg

In Pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/29510759

Just click on the above link to open the image in PBase, and flip back and forth between the two and you will see what I mean. It's a significant difference in sharpness!
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    I see what you mean, but it is not a issue with embedding here, If I open by Direct link to your shots in pbase on a blank page the show the same way. Did you use something like sharpening in pbase? sorry, I never used it so I don't know what it has.

James.

P.S. My guess is that they are doing some form of sharpening that happens when viewed from thier page, but not in a link.
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    I found the problem, it's not the same pic.

Linked =
    http://cakeru.image.pbase.com/image/29510759.jpg

In PBase =
    http://image.pbase.com/u15/icicle50/upload/29510759.DSC01685.JPG

One seems sharpened and the other not. headscratch.gif

James.

P.S. The sharpened one is about 57kb smaller headscratch.gif
  • Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Hmmmm interesting...
    I did sharpen and re-upload the pic today, but took the URL from the page that had the sharpened version.

If I right-click the image here in DGrin and look at "properties", I get:
    http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/29510759.jpg - the same image as I'm linking to with the URL...

Very difficult to figure out how PBase stores the files.
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I see what you mean, but it is not a issue with embedding here, If I open by Direct link to your shots in pbase on a blank page the show the same way. Did you use something like sharpening in pbase? sorry, I never used it so I don't know what it has.

James.

P.S. My guess is that they are doing some form of sharpening that happens when viewed from thier page, but not in a link.
    Pbase does not do any extra sharpening. If you upload an image larger than 800 pixels on a side pbase will make a large, small, and medium version of the image. Those resampled versions are sharpened a litlle, but they are usually pretty darn soft, comparatively speaking. Sharpening is not pbase's strong suit. The algorithm used at pbase to downsize images is not nearly as good as smugmugs. If you upload an image smaller than 800 pixels on it's smaller size, pbase does nothing to that image if you view it in original form. Of course, the mediums and smalls will be resampled.

Bottom line is if you upload an original less than 800 pixels on it's largest side to pbase. That image remains exactly as you uploaded it. It is not altered at all so when you view the original you are viewing the exact same image you uploaded.

-don
  • Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Same size
    minoltaman wrote:
    Pbase does not do any extra sharpening. If you upload an image larger than 800 pixels on a side pbase will make a large, small, and medium version of the image. Those resampled versions are usually pretty darn soft, comparatively speaking. Sharpening is not pbase's strong suit. The algorithm used at pbase to downsize images is not nearly as good as smugmugs. If you upload an image smaller than 800 pixels on it's smaller size, pbase does nothing to that image if you view it in original form. Of course, the mediums and smalls will be resampled.

-don
    The size that I linked to in DGrin was the original uploaded size. The problem seems to be that I replaced the image in PBase with a sharper one this AM, but the URL taken from PBase still links back to the original image from DGrin, while displaying the replaced, sharpened image in PBase.
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    The size that I linked to in DGrin was the original uploaded size. The problem seems to be that I replaced the image in PBase with a sharper one this AM, but the URL taken from PBase still links back to the original image from DGrin, while displaying the replaced, sharpened image in PBase.
    Sometimes it takes more than a few hours for the image you replaced to disappear from pbase dlink servers, and for the new image to appear. If you want to be sure a changed pbase dlink image appears immeadiately, you need to upload a fresh copy of that image and NOT do the replacement thing. Of course you will then have a new image id and you will have to reset your link, but at least the new dlink image will be available for viewing immeadiately.

This happens because pbase copies dlink images to another server group immeadiately when initially linked, and it takes some time for that replacement image to take the place of the original on those dlink servers.

Cheers

-don