Options

Need more tips for California

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
Hey everyone,

This time it's not just a day and some nights I have to play with :wink

Wife is flying to CA for work for a week, then I fly over with the 2 sons and we have 2.5weeks holiday around CA - then they fly back and I have a week of work there.

We were planning on visiting lots of shops (cos it's all cheep cheep :D) Laguna Beach, Irivne area (where the office is), LA (Griffith Observatory and Hollywood etc.), San Fransisco (anyone suggest which really cool curvy downhill street to visit?), Santa Monica, some of the coast between LA and San Fransisco, and hopefully fit in some San Diego and other locations.

All suggestions are more than welcome.

I won't be able to get away just to go shooting - but honestly that's not what photography on holidays with the family is about for me - it's more about fitting it in with having a great time for everyone. So no suggestions of dumping the kids and missus at Disney while I take off :D

Thanks for any suggestions

Cheers, Jase
p.s. never did get to Balboa Island so guess that one is still on the list too

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    The list is too long …

How old are the kids? And bring you camera for the kid places too because there are lots and lots of photo ops!

Quick list:

San Diego – Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, Old Town, etc

Orange County – Disneyland, Beaches, etc.

Los Angeles: Santa Monica, Hollywood

Monterey: Monterey Bay Aquarium, CA coast

Santa Cruz: Board Walk, Beaches

San Francisco: Fisherman’s wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, etc.

And the list goes on and on :-)
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    If you're in Orange County between July 11th through August 3rd you might want to take the family to the O. C. Fair. It's a lot of family fun and a great photo-op event. My advice is to go mid to late afternoon to catch the best "light" (dusk) and to avoid the heat as it can often be a little warm. Also take a wide angle lens and have a blast with all the colors. Oh....the kids will love it, too! :D
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    For shopping consider an outlet shopping center where they have brand name stuff for even less. The Citadel in the City of Industry is good and very close to LA.
    http://www.citadeloutlets.com/index.cfm

In Orange County where Irvine is, consider Mission San Juan Capistrano.
    It's a historic mission founded by the Spanish to help settle California.
    http://www.missionsjc.com/

Consider Disneyland and downtown Disney. Balboa Island is a small beach community and while nice, there isn't something unique to the place IMO. Hence I'd skip it unless you have time.

In Los Angeles County,
    I agree with the Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica, and Hollywood Blvd/Kodak Theater.
    Also consider Old Town in Pasadena, very nice and touristy place, Universal Studios, downtown LA/Disney concert hall, Olvera Street where the city was found. On Wilshire blvd, there is a museum row where they have a La Brea Tar Pit, the largest fossil deposit in the world in the middle of LA. Lastly, there is the RMS Queen Mary docked in Long Beach as well.
    Visit LA's official city guide.
    http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/visitors/what-to-do/activities
    You can download and print these handouts as well. I'd really recommend this one.
    http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/visitors/guides/viewable-guides

I think that curvy street in San Francisco is Lombard St.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_Street,_San_Francisco
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    We were planning on visiting lots of shops (cos it's all cheep cheep :D)...
    I forgot to include shopping places on my list. I'm a shop-aholic mwink.gif What's on the shopping list? I can help!

Heading from LA to SD, hit Carlsbad outlets and it's right off the freeway right near Legoland (kids under nine love this place). If you're in downtown SD, visit Horton Plaza; it's a typical mall, but the architecture is a bit unusal . Nearly all of the major malls in SD are outdoor ones.

Driving from LA to the bay area (if you're not taking highway one and are driving), stop by Gilroy outlets -- 145 stores of shopping goodness!

For general electronics, visit Frys, are found in SD, LA and the bay area, but the ones in LA have themes to them (favorite is the alice in wonderland one). They're like one big supermarket for electronic goodies and just nice because of the volume of junk in there and can have decent sales (hit or miss).
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks for the tips everyone

Also wondering if Big Sur is worth the drive/effort???

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    the shopping on Rodeo Drive should be a eye opener...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    the shopping on Rodeo Drive should be a eye opener...

heheheehhee yeah i could well imagine - might be some good photo ops there too mwink.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    we go to LA every year or so....

one thing my kids are really looking forward too doing for the first time next time....is fishing off of a pier somewhere...i have no idea whats involved as getting a licence and such yet...but it seem to be something fun & new to do....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    sohotrightnowsohotrightnow Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    You might wanna make sure you get to Laguna Beach it's beautiful if your willing to deal with the tourists at that time of year. Also, if you end up taking Highway 1 up the coast Herst Castle is very cool! might wanna check it out, it's worth the time.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks for the tips everyone

Also wondering if Big Sur is worth the drive/effort???

Cheers, Jase

If you hit Big Sur first you might never want to leave! Definitely, definitely worth the drive.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 11, 2008
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hey everyone,

This time it's not just a day and some nights I have to play with mwink.gif

Wife is flying to CA for work for a week, then I fly over with the 2 sons and we have 2.5weeks holiday around CA - then they fly back and I have a week of work there.

We were planning on visiting lots of shops (cos it's all cheep cheep :D) Laguna Beach, Irivne area (where the office is), LA (Griffith Observatory and Hollywood etc.), San Fransisco (anyone suggest which really cool curvy downhill street to visit?), Santa Monica, some of the coast between LA and San Fransisco, and hopefully fit in some San Diego and other locations.

All suggestions are more than welcome.

I won't be able to get away just to go shooting - but honestly that's not what photography on holidays with the family is about for me - it's more about fitting it in with having a great time for everyone. So no suggestions of dumping the kids and missus at Disney while I take off :D

Thanks for any suggestions

Cheers, Jase
    p.s. never did get to Balboa Island so guess that one is still on the list too

If you head out of LA, and drive, Yosemite is a don't miss.

See my comments in the other threads on places in SF.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    If you head out of LA, and drive, Yosemite is a don't miss.

See my comments in the other threads on places in SF.

Cheers

Yeah we're going to have a rental car the whole time.

I've got visions of a Dodge Charger SR/T mwink.gif

but I know it'll be probably a 2.7 6cyl with 170hp - blahhh :cry

Anyway - will put Yosemite on teh list :) we're going to avoid Death Valley though as it will be middle of high summer and we've got a 1.5yo and a 4yo - so don't really feel like getting baked....

Good tips everyone - thanks :)

Planning our trip with google maps and lonely planet - what did we ever do before google maps eh ;)

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    If you hit Big Sur first you might never want to leave! Definitely, definitely worth the drive.

Anywhere particular to focus on around Big Sur??? Particular towns or locations?

We won't have days or weeks just for that area like I'm sure it warrants - so any tips help - that way I can be sure to hit at least 1 or 2 nice places.

We've also got 2 small kids 1.5 and 4 years so they get pretty bored pretty quick when Dad's taking ages with his camera, and Mum get's irate if Dad ignores the kids too ;-)

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Yeah we're going to have a rental car the whole time.

I've got visions of a Dodge Charger SR/T mwink.gif

but I know it'll be probably a 2.7 6cyl with 170hp - blahhh :cry

Anyway - will put Yosemite on teh list :) we're going to avoid Death Valley though as it will be middle of high summer and we've got a 1.5yo and a 4yo - so don't really feel like getting baked....

Good tips everyone - thanks :)

Planning our trip with google maps and lonely planet - what did we ever do before google maps eh ;)

Cheers, Jase

You can get the Holden here :-)) I forget what it's sold as, but probably not a rental. You CAN rent a Shelby Mustang from Hertz:-)))

My son lives in the Barossa (brought up on Kangaroo Island), where are you from?

If you make it to SF, we'd be delighted to guide and provide dinner!

Cheers
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Anywhere particular to focus on around Big Sur??? Particular towns or locations?

We won't have days or weeks just for that area like I'm sure it warrants - so any tips help - that way I can be sure to hit at least 1 or 2 nice places.

We've also got 2 small kids 1.5 and 4 years so they get pretty bored pretty quick when Dad's taking ages with his camera, and Mum get's irate if Dad ignores the kids too ;-)

Cheers, Jase

Just the drive along the coast will blow your mind (as long as you don't have a problem with fog), but some of my favorites are Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park - you may have seen photos of McVay Falls, the waterfall that cascades onto the beach. The Bixby Bridge is very cool if you like bridges. Point Sur Lighthouse if you're into that. I love the Nepenthe region and it's a good place to stop for meal out on the patio. There's Andrew Molera State Park, but you might not want to do a lot of exploring if you're on a time schedule. Hearst Castle is at the southern end of Big Sur if you like that.

If you have the time, you might want to consider driving the coast all the way up to Monterey. That would take you through Carmel and Pacific Grove (too bad you'll miss the monarchs) on the northern end with more beautiful beaches and some really funky architecture (fairy tale cottages in Carmel that you have to see to believe, mini-Victorians in Pacific Grove), lots of seals and sealions. Then you can check out the wharf in Monterey, Pebble Beach, 17-mile drive is definitely worth the toll, the Aquarium, lots of galleries.

It's not my part of the state, but one of my all-time favorite road trips from down here in Orange County.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    lots of seals and sealions. Then you can check out the wharf in Monterey, Pebble Beach,

Won't have any problems convincing the kids to go there!!! The 1.5yo loves making seal sounds :D

Thanks for all the other good tips - problem is time as always - so will load them into google maps (I'm creating one for this trip) then save them to my GPS and hey who knows - we might work our way into visiting more thumb.gif

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    You can get the Holden here :-)) I forget what it's sold as, but probably not a rental. You CAN rent a Shelby Mustang from Hertz:-)))

My son lives in the Barossa (brought up on Kangaroo Island), where are you from?

If you make it to SF, we'd be delighted to guide and provide dinner!

Cheers

Thanks for the offer!!! We're really trying to work it in to make it - but not sure of when and/or for how long. Will see what pans out and maybe get in touch.

Barossa mmmmmmm..... wine. me. like. :D

I was orig. from Melbourne - but after 11+ years in Europe that seems like so long ago now.....

The Holden they're selling in the US is the Monaro - it's rebadges as a Pontiac GTO. 7.3L V8 - well like the idea but not the fuel costs :cry

Mind you it was like 3.60USD per gallon when I was there in March which is nothing compared to the.... errr roughly calc in head - nearly 9USD per gallon here in Europe at the moment... ne_nau.gif

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Jase,

Over the last couple of years I've spent a great deal of time in Southern Cal. Here is a large post of shots I've taken in the area. If any of these locations interest you send me an e-mail or a PM and I'll get you the locations, time to be there and the best way to get there. Good look!! It's a wonderful playground for a photographer.

258114979_PY3ma-L.jpg

258819475_TRnwx-L.jpg
    188250857-L.jpg

188251228-L.jpg

166063551-L.jpg

166063346-L.jpg

62621885-M.jpg

257141923_TSyDR-L.jpg

257141908_5GoTR-L.jpg

257141933_Gzc75-L.jpg

257141997_wwhni-L.jpg

257142084_rGb7R-XL.jpg

258114744_LZ7FH-XL.jpg

257142118_Jj7BC-XL.jpg

257141962_MgwZm-XL.jpg

258114682_aTPyn-XL.jpg

188250338-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    Jase,
    166063346-S.jpg

62621885-S.jpg

258114682_aTPyn-S.jpg

188250338-S.jpg

Great pics!!! thumb.gif You've inspired me to think about night shots too now! clap.gif

I'm assuming the Santa Monica shot - is on the pier???
    The mtorway shots - did you park yourself on an overheard bridge or something?
    The Palm Tree shots - like the stormy weather - I'm guessing that Palm Trees are all over the place....

But one's got me confused - where in the world did you manage to the photo of LAX???? mwink.gif

If you could tell me a couple of locations you'd suggest - I'll write them down or save them in my google map for the holiday.

My biggest problem at the moment is working out how to slot all of this in - It's a family vacation too and not sure how much time I'm going to get for dedicated photo taking - it might be more opportunistic photo shooting ....

See what pans out :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Beautiful photographs! I wish I could have come back to the forums sooner, I'd have suggested some places, but it looks like you got the best of places as it is down there. :D

If you ever get the chance, check out Northern California's coast. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Beautiful photographs! I wish I could have come back to the forums sooner, I'd have suggested some places, but it looks like you got the best of places as it is down there. :D

If you ever get the chance, check out Northern California's coast. :)

Actually haven't left yet :-) Two weeks or so....

We're planning on
    LA and Santa Monica -> Big Sur incl. Cayucos -> Monterey -> Carmel -> San Fransisco -> Napa and Sonoma -> Yosemite National Park -> Sequoia National Park (maybe)

That's as far as we've planned so far :)

We're umming and ahhing - thinking of spending a bit longer in Yosemite and possibly missing Sequoia as we don't want to be rushing around like maniacs on our holidays (well not every day anyway mwink.gif)

We're going to spend some time around Irvine - so day trips to Laguna Beach and hopefully San Diego too.

Plus SHOPPING wings.gif it's all so cheap! in the US -well compared to Switzerland anyway :D

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Actually haven't left yet :-) Two weeks or so....

We're planning on
    LA and Santa Monica -> Big Sur incl. Cayucos -> Monterey -> Carmel -> San Fransisco -> Napa and Sonoma -> Yosemite National Park -> Sequoia National Park (maybe)

If you can spend more than one day in Yosemite than I would suggest spending one day away from the valley floor (if possible). We got a chance to visit the Hetch Hetchney section of Yosemite and it is a very peaceful place compared to the valley floor!

If you do hit Sequoia you might want to think about stopping by King's Canyon. I would rather spend the time in King's Canyon and it is a better place to take pictures (IMHO). You can do both parks in one day (since they are linked to each other) but it would be a long day of driving windy roads.

In Monterey, you can try the 17 mile drive for a small fee to get the car in and don't forget to stop by the tide pools (by Pacific Grove).

For San Diego, they have lots of stuff to do. Balboa Park (as already mentioned) and Seaport Village (walk around) in addition to the local tourist spots of SeaWorld, SD Zoo, Animal Park, etc.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    My favorite trip
    Since you have little ones, as much as my favorite trip is to go north from LA to Santa Barbara, On to Cambria to visit Hearst Castle, Drive Hwy 1 through Big Sur (stay in Monterey/Pacific Grove) and visit Carmel from there then on to San Fransciso, back down the 5 - through to Yosemite and then back to LA. You can do that in about 10 days which leaves you another week. Definitely go to San Diego and Disneyland with the kids. They will love Legoland, Sea World and the SD Zoo. Newport Beach/Laguna Beach and Balboa are wonderful. There is the Fun Zone in Balboa with the Merry go Round. And South Coast Plaza is a shoppers paradise - it's the second largest mall in the USA - Mall of America in Minnesota is the largest.

Some kid things:
    Do not miss taking a picnic on the 17 mile drive.
    In SF, go to Crissy Field. There is a kiddy beach there and the photo ops are wonderful.
    In Carmel, at the end of Ocean Ave is the beach - lots of dogs there that will get the kids attention.
    In Monterey, do not miss the Aquarium. - You might want to stay at the Embassy Suites in Seaside -there is a small park with a Charlie Brown Theme between Seaside and Monterey - kid friendly or if your budget allows, stay at the Hotel Pacific - breakfast is included and your wife will love the bathroom layouts. No view but a nice courtyard.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited June 27, 2008
    Hey Jase!

When you get to LA, check the news for information on the fires burning near Big Sur. As of right now, the town of Big Sur is threatened as are a place called Nepenthe and the Ventana Inn--both of which are in or near Big Sur.

Take a look here for an idea where the fires are burning and what the smoke will be like.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thanks Bassett1976 and Kathy - great tips and I think we've managed to work most of them into our itinerary too - well my wife has :D she's a great planner

We are spending 2 nights in Monterey and will visit Carmel too

Ian - great tip about the fires and the website. As an Australian I'm very aware of what a bushfire can be and the damage they can do - I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on that website and news for any changes that may make us change our plans.

Cheers everyone and thanks for all the great tips - we're really excited about this trip and it's SO close noe wings.gif

Jase
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks Bassett1976 and Kathy - great tips and I think we've managed to work most of them into our itinerary too - well my wife has :D she's a great planner

We are spending 2 nights in Monterey and will visit Carmel too

Ian - great tip about the fires and the website. As an Australian I'm very aware of what a bushfire can be and the damage they can do - I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on that website and news for any changes that may make us change our plans.

Cheers everyone and thanks for all the great tips - we're really excited about this trip and it's SO close noe wings.gif

Jase

Ian is right about checking fire conditions. I looked at the local newspaper and it says highway 1 around big sur is closed. So you would end up driving about 3hrs just to have to turn around and go back the way you came.
    If you get up here along the coast here's a few suggestions. Avila Beach has a 'farm stand' that has a 'you pick it berries' and hayrides and roasted corn oh yeah and local ice cream. Everyone I recommended it has realy enjoyed it especially if they have kids. Along highway 1 about 10miles north of san simeon state park (Hearst Castle) there is a beach allways full of elephant seals. I marked those plus a few other things on the following google map Local Sites
    There are so many things to see here you could spend weeks here but I put just a couple on the map.
    Oh don't forget there are lots of wineries around here.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    :cry Looks like the best laid plans of mice and men eh ne_nau.gif

So I'm guessing we're going to have to change our plans - my wife is gonna die - she's spent hours and hours and (well days) researching hotels/motels etc and locations to visit rolleyes1.gif

Sonoma/Napa is under a cloud of smoke
    Big Sur and the coast is under a cloud of smoke

What thoughts people? How much of this trip would we have to move do you think? nothing like local knowledge on the ground mwink.gif

Unfortunately I can't tell from the news reports which exact areas I'd need to avoid on our planned route

Thanks to everyone for their help with this thumb.gif

Here's our planned route on google maps

Cheers all, Jase
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 1, 2008
    Until the road opens in Big Sur, you won't be able to get all the way up the coast.

if you can. run your route backward. That is go to Sequoia and Yosemite first. Then come down the coast.

I need to run but I'll post some suggestions for an alternate route around Big Sur.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Until the road opens in Big Sur, you won't be able to get all the way up the coast.

if you can. run your route backward. That is go to Sequoia and Yosemite first. Then come down the coast.

I need to run but I'll post some suggestions for an alternate route around Big Sur.

We're going to see how it develops this week - as we're not heading off on the trip until 11th July.

I don't know if we can run it all in reverse as the problem is all the hotels/motels are booked and it's high season....

Thanks for all your help and updates too - and any other tips are always welcome

Cheers, Jase