Options

Wide Screen Stretch

PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
If you are viewing photos on a wide screen monitor, it obviously stretches out the images. Is there any kind of code or anything that can be done so that when smugmug is viewed on a widescreen monitor it is recogonized and compressed so that when it does stretch it looks normal?

I'm guessing this can't be done but it's worth asking.
David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
My Website
Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    dtw78 wrote:
    If you are viewing photos on a wide screen monitor, it obviously stretches out the images. Is there any kind of code or anything that can be done so that when smugmug is viewed on a widescreen monitor it is recogonized and compressed so that when it does stretch it looks normal?

I'm guessing this can't be done but it's worth asking.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about. A screen shot would certainly make it more clear.

Just to be clear, Smugmug never stretches your individual images. The "stretchy" code that Smugmug does have, allows the images to be displayed larger and with more thumbs on larger screens, but the individual images are never actually stretched. They simply use larger display copies that were all made from your original upload and all have the same aspect ratio as your original. The only exception I'm aware of is the square thumbs which are clipped (not stretched) to fit in a square shape.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about. A screen shot would certainly make it more clear.

Just to be clear, Smugmug never stretches your individual images. The "stretchy" code that Smugmug does have, allows the images to be displayed larger and with more thumbs on larger screens, but the individual images are never actually stretched. They simply use larger display copies that were all made from your original upload and all have the same aspect ratio as your original. The only exception I'm aware of is the square thumbs which are clipped (not stretched) to fit in a square shape.

I understand the "stretchy feature."

When you watch regular standard Television on a widescreen, the screen leaves the image stretched out of shape making the actors looking fat. On a widescreen TV there is a feature to squeeze the image so that it compensates for the stretch. I wanted to know if there was a code written out there in HTML land that would recognize a wide screen and compress the image so that they don't look stretched out. It is impossible to provide an image. You have to look at the same image on a 4x3 aspect ratio monitor compared to a 16x9 aspect ratio monitor.

Like I stated in my first post, this code probably doesn't exsist and I am wishfully thinking and hoping.
    My Website
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    dtw78 wrote:
    I understand the "stretchy feature."

When you watch regular standard Television on a widescreen, the screen leaves the image stretched out of shape making the actors looking fat. On a widescreen TV there is a feature to squeeze the image so that it compensates for the stretch. I wanted to know if there was a code written out there in HTML land that would recognize a wide screen and compress the image so that they don't look stretched out. It is impossible to provide an image. You have to look at the same image on a 4x3 aspect ratio monitor compared to a 16x9 aspect ratio monitor.

Like I stated in my first post, this code probably doesn't exsist and I am wishfully thinking and hoping.

Are you talking about video or photos? Can you provide more details on exactly what screen you see something on Smugmug that is stretched on a wide screen monitor? I've never seen anything stretched on Smugmug so I don't know how to help you.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Are you talking about video or photos? Can you provide more details on exactly what screen you see something on Smugmug that is stretched on a wide screen monitor? I've never seen anything stretched on Smugmug so I don't know how to help you.

forget it. sorry
    My Website