Options

Kodak printer colors don't look right

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
what can I do to fix the colors on my printer? They look to grey, nothing like what it looks on the laptop screen.
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    im sorry but there are so many variables i dont know where to start...
    list your processes step by step...i.e. programs, color space, res, profiles, defaults, etc..etc...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    im sorry but there are so many variables i dont know where to start...
    list your processes step by step...i.e. programs, color space, res, profiles, defaults, etc..etc...

The program I use is either the Lightroom, or Adobe Elements. Color space is setup as sRGB on my camera, and color space is on colormatch RGB, profile is sRGB virtual device and scRGB virtual device. I am not sure what else to look for
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    For a start,

Is your monitor calibrated?

Did you use the proper printer profile for the specific brand and type of paper you are printing on?

What is the color temperature of the light you are examining your prints by?

In order for your prints to match your monitor screen, your monitor must be calibrated to a known standard and you must use the proper profile for your printer and the paper being used. The printer must be functioning normally. Some companies ( Colorbyte) go so far as to create different print profiles according to the color temperature of the light the print will be examined by.

One reason properly profiled prints may not match a calibrated monitor is a print head with print nozzles that are plugged. If the printer is not functioning properly and optimally, then Katie bar the door, nothing will match at all. You will want to verify that your print heads are not clogged by using the printer utility that came with your printer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    For a start,

Is your monitor calibrated?

Did you use the proper printer profile for the specific brand and type of paper you are printing on?

What is the color temperature of the light you are examining your prints by?

In order for your prints to match your monitor screen, your monitor must be calibrated to a known standard and you must use the proper profile for your printer and the paper being used. The printer must be functioning normally. Some companies ( Colorbyte) go so far as to create different print profiles according to the color temperature of the light the print will be examined by.

One reason properly profiled prints may not match a calibrated monitor is a print head with print nozzles that are plugged. If the printer is not functioning properly and optimally, then Katie bar the door, nothing will match at all. You will want to verify that your print heads are not clogged by using the printer utility that came with your printer.

My printer is brand new and so are the cartridges. I am using Kodak 4x6 sheets premier and I don't know how to calibrate my monitor. I am smart with computers, but never messed with that. I will try to do that.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    What printer? Unless it is a Kodak printer, it may be hard to find profiles unless they are custom profiles, as most printer manufacturers do not provide profiles for paper other than their own brand. What print profiles? Since the printer is new, we will assume the printhead is not clogged, although that can happen a lot faster than your might think.

Why are you using Colormatch for your workspace in your image editing program? Why not use sRGB or even Adobe RGB is you are going to be printing your own images on your own printer?

Stick to printing from Lightroom until this is all sorted out. Set up your printer driver to have Lightroom do all the color management, not your printer driver.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    What printer? Unless it is a Kodak printer, it may be hard to find profiles unless they are custom profiles, as most printer manufacturers do not provide profiles for paper other than their own brand.

Why are you using Colormatch for your workspace in your image editing program?

It is a Kodak printer, it is Kodak 5300 I think. And the colormatch is just what was already setup. I haven't changed anything yet
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II