Three Sisters, Glen Coe (B&W)

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited June 18, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi, this is another picture taken on the Mull trip, the much photographed Three Sisters, converted to black and white as it seemed to suit the drama of the location.

310880979_dHRjZ-M.jpg

311385883_xMXQp-M.jpg

Charlie

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Holy coo, Charlie!!

Where was I when you were shooting that? eek7.gif

The Glen Coe mountains were absolutely beautiful. I wish we'd had more time that day. I like the use of B/W here because it's rather unconventional, given how green they are. But the resulting contrast is an excellent effect.
  • wordword Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2008
    Very good picture. I bet colored picutre would be very beautiful and attractive. Thanks for sharing this picture.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    A very exceptional shot of Glen Coe!
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    I like it. Would you consider posting it in color as well for comparison?

Hi, thanks Molson, I could do though I'd have to work it up from the RAW file, I'll see if I have time.

Charlie
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks Schmoo, ermmm, mmm, well... this was captured by a new technique that I learnt from Marc at the workshop, the art of drive by shooting mwink.gif

I really wish we'd had more time at Glen Coe, I'm sure I'm going to have to return at some point.

Charlie

schmoo wrote:
    Holy coo, Charlie!!

Where was I when you were shooting that? eek7.gif

The Glen Coe mountains were absolutely beautiful. I wish we'd had more time that day. I like the use of B/W here because it's rather unconventional, given how green they are. But the resulting contrast is an excellent effect.
    edited June 11, 2008
    word wrote:
    Very good picture. I bet colored picutre would be very beautiful and attractive. Thanks for sharing this picture.

I'm sensing a desire to see this in colour rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for your comments.
    edited June 11, 2008
    A very exceptional shot of Glen Coe!

Thanks David!
    edited June 11, 2008
    I've added the colour version now, which do you prefer, I'm undecided?

Charlie
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    clap.gif

(btw, i like the color more)
    Aaron Nelson
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    I like it. Would you consider posting it in color as well for comparison?

Molsondog what is that in your avatar?

I love the black and white version better... but only by a smidge. It reminds me of the seven sisters of China. Very nice!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Thanks Schmoo, ermmm, mmm, well... this was captured by a new technique that I learnt from Marc at the workshop, the art of drive by shooting mwink.gif

I really wish we'd had more time at Glen Coe, I'm sure I'm going to have to return at some point.

Charlie
    Let me know when you're going, I'll join you. Fantastic place.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 11, 2008
    wxwax wrote:
    Let me know when you're going, I'll join you. Fantastic place.

thumb.gif

Deal, but I'm still waiting for the pics you took when you returned after we left ne_nau.gif

Charlie
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    really Sid, no presure......... but15524779-Ti.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    thumb.gif

Deal, but I'm still waiting for the pics you took when you returned after we left ne_nau.gif

Charlie
    :D

I need to upgrade my Photoshop so I can do easier selections of the sky.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    The avatar is my old (now departed) Golden Retriever "Molson Golden".

Oh. I see the dog now, I thought it was a block of wood.

Sorry to hear that. I don't want Black Jack to ever die. He's my little buddy/model extraordinaire.
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I love both of these images. However, after really looking closely at both, I'll go with the black and white. I feel it gives a much more sense of awe. Very beautiful!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited June 13, 2008
    I love both of these images. However, after really looking closely at both, I'll go with the black and white. I feel it gives a much more sense of awe. Very beautiful!

Thanks for your kind comments, I'm still wavering, I just can't decide ne_nau.gif

Charlie
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    I guess the choice is really subjective. Personally, I think there are not too many good black and white landscape photos out there.

Did you increase the saturation level or curves in this photograph?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    I think the blue cast at the top of the mountains is making for an odd transition between the mountain and sky. Looks like the edge of sky mask is a bit too hard. If you soften that and add some color sat to the clouds I think the color would work. Some homework for ya!
    edited June 18, 2008
    I guess the choice is really subjective. Personally, I think there are not too many good black and white landscape photos out there.

Did you increase the saturation level or curves in this photograph?

Hi, I knocked up the colour version pretty quickly to provide a comparison, I'm, pretty sure I did both, I think I went too far with the saturation.

Charlie
    edited June 18, 2008
    I think the blue cast at the top of the mountains is making for an odd transition between the mountain and sky. Looks like the edge of sky mask is a bit too hard. If you soften that and add some color sat to the clouds I think the color would work. Some homework for ya!

Yes I agree Marc, I think that blue was a result of pushing the saturation too far globally (or taking the picture through the van window mwink.gif ), I'll go back and do some tweaking.

If I'd known there was homework I'd have thought twice about signing up deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

Charlie