Sunset on the farm

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Landscapes
This was my third choice for sunsets last Sunday night, I wanted to take some on San Juan island, but the last ferry left before sunset; choice number two were some iris fields in Skagit Valley (the same spot as the big tulip festival earlier in the year), but I didn't see anything that caught my eye. As I was driving near the iris fields I drove by this farm twice, thinking "that would be a cool spot", and finally decided that it would be the best spot.

I only wish I had gotten there about 30 minutes earlier, there were colts running around all over the place and I would have like to get some close up shots of them playing.

310372950_rp3i4-L.jpg

310374251_tWsyN-L.jpg

310378120_UBJTy-L.jpg

Comments

• dieterdieter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Hi Ron, I think that number one is my favorite for sure. a very pastoral scene. I think that the last two could be made more attractive by darkening the brightest area of the sunset sky to make them more moody and dramatic.
    All in all great work!
    Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    dieter wrote:
    Hi Ron, I think that number one is my favorite for sure. a very pastoral scene. I think that the last two could be made more attractive by darkening the brightest area of the sunset sky to make them more moody and dramatic.
    All in all great work!

Thanks Tom! I agree there's a little too much difference in the brightness between sky and the foreground (and that was with a 3-stop split ND filter!), I'm not sure if I would want to brighten the foreground more or darken the sky more, I'll mess around (at some point) and see which I prefer. I went through about a million photos from the weekend and didn't spend as much time on them I should have :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I love #2 thumb.gif

Thanks Mary, hard to resist a white picket fence!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Hey Ron- #1 is my absolute fave... love the colors and the dynamic range is surprisingly good for the lighting conditions... well done sir...