Lighthouse on San Juan Island

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Landscapes
This lighthouse is located at Lime Kiln Point state park on San Juan Island (there's a one-hour ferry to the island, the mainland terminal is about an hour north of Seattle in Anacortes). Even though I've spent all but four years of my life up here, this was my first visit to the San Juan Islands (and I'll be back, they're fantastic). I earliest ferry arrived to the island at 7:30 AM, so I missed sunrise (and sunset, the latest ferry left before sunset, that's when I took the farm photos I just posted in another thread), so I made due with the early morning light.

This specific park is a good spot to watch for orcas, they usually show up at least once a day, I didn't see any of them during my brief stay at the park, but did see some later in the water on a whale watching tour.

310304950_xoqmx-L.jpg

I love these madrona trees which are all over the coast:

310302404_PWccE-L.jpg

310306038_xJwTa-L.jpg

310307107_nryQc-L.jpg

Comments

• dieterdieter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Great location, great skys! I do like the fish-eye exposure. I want to go there.

Can you stay on the island so you are there for sunrise and sunset, or do you have to wait for winter time with the shorter days?

Really nice stuff!clap.gif
    Tom
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    dieter wrote:
    Great location, great skys! I do like the fish-eye exposure. I want to go there.

Can you stay on the island so you are there for sunrise and sunset, or do you have to wait for winter time with the shorter days?

Really nice stuff!clap.gif

You can do both, there's plenty of lodging on the island (as well as Orcas Island and I think there's some on Lopez island as well). I'll take a few days off later this year in the middle of the week so I can get the sunrise and sunset shots (lots of harbors, waterfront, etc., and there were a ton of raptors and eagles around too).
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Beautiful shots.

Yep that is a great spot. I haven't been there since 2000. All the shots I have were film and mostly black & white at that.

Did you get some of the rocks just to the left of the lighthouse (if you are looking out to the water). There is a spot where all the rocks go from black rocks to white rocks. Its a unusual occurence.

My parents are nearing retirement and are moving back to Washington State at the end of this month, so I am looking forward to visiting for about 2 weeks in August and I plan on spending a ton of time out shooting. I may try and drop you a pm when I am out that way for suggestions for other places to shoot.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Beautiful shots.

Yep that is a great spot. I haven't been there since 2000. All the shots I have were film and mostly black & white at that.

Did you get some of the rocks just to the left of the lighthouse (if you are looking out to the water). There is a spot where all the rocks go from black rocks to white rocks. Its a unusual occurence.

My parents are nearing retirement and are moving back to Washington State at the end of this month, so I am looking forward to visiting for about 2 weeks in August and I plan on spending a ton of time out shooting. I may try and drop you a pm when I am out that way for suggestions for other places to shoot.

I didn't see the white rocks, either because the tide was in, or more likely, I'm blind :D I was kind of in a rush the whole day (never a good thing when taking photos) trying to scope out the island for a future overnight stay.

If you're going to be here in August, you'll probably want to check out some of the wildflowers at Mt. Rainier National Park, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more ideas (Seattle skylines, mountains, wildlife, etc.).
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I didn't see the white rocks, either because the tide was in, or more likely, I'm blind :D I was kind of in a rush the whole day (never a good thing when taking photos) trying to scope out the island for a future overnight stay.

If you're going to be here in August, you'll probably want to check out some of the wildflowers at Mt. Rainier National Park, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more ideas (Seattle skylines, mountains, wildlife, etc.).

I definitely will shoot you a pm for more ideas. I will be spending some time over on the desert side in the Tri-Cities (relatives).
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    beautiful blue color on the sky!!!....awesome images thanks for sharing
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro